ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: September 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't been on this sight for awhile so I am feeling a little out of touch. We are spending a couple of nights at the Poly at the end of March. What kind of construction should I expect? Will the main pool be under construction? We also requested Samoa? Which longhouses will be under construction at this time? Looked on Tikiman's site, but wasn't sure how construction of the longhouses is progressing?

We got back late Thursday night from our stay 1/24-1/31.

Absolutely a wonderful place. Our first stay and we all loved it. We had room 1608 Samoa, ground floor facing the volcano pool just as we had requested. As far as I am concerned this was a perfect location. We were steps away from the pool, steps away from the beach and only a very short walk away from Captain Cook's for mug refills. It was wonderful. I could see how it might be a bit loud in the afternoon with the kids' activities going on around the pool (we had warm weather!) but we liked it. If you are looking for something quieter, I would ask for the other side of the building.

I found the rooms to be fine and not too dark, although I do see what people are saying about how the hallways need sprucing up. The carpet in the hallway was pretty gross. But since the rehab is going on right now, I am not going to dwell on that.

The only minor problem we had with our room was a quirk with the exhaust fan in the bathroom and I am not sure whether that is a resort-wide problem or not. It was triggered by the person walking toward the toilet, which sounds great in theory except that it turns off after a while if nobody is in the toilet area. That means it would shut off in the middle of a shower, causing the room to steam up a LOT. You could see the damage this had done to the ceiling in the bathroom with too much steam over and over. It was certainly not something that caused us any distress and it was a very minor thing - just something I am hoping they fix when they do the rehab.

The cast members were so friendly and welcoming. :lovestruc

We shared in the frustration with the monorail, though. We left the kids in the Neverland Club one night (we did make reservations for them with the concierge a few nights before) and left the Polynesian a little before 7pm for a 7:45 reservation at the California Grill. That should have been more than enough time but there was something wrong with a train on the track that had to be pushed aside. We were almost late for our reservation and very stressed out. Those sorts of delays happened a few times while we were there. Frustrating to be sure.

At Poly now. Its perfect. I don't see much construction. We are in Tokeleu. At pool at the moment.

We are planning a vacation for December 2013 and are planning to stay in CL rooms at the Poly. Very excited! I've read about the different level rooms - garden view (patio), Lagoon view (no balcony) and Theme Park view (balcony.) I'm curious as to whether all the rooms on the side that doesn't face the lagoon are considered garden view, even if they are on the 2nd or 3rd floor? How does that work? And could someone also tell me where the lounge is located and whether it is better to be near it (for convenience with the kids and a group of 10 people traveling together) or far (if it tends to be noisy?) What floor do you enter the lounge from?
Thanks so much!! This site has been so helpful!

We are planning a vacation for December 2013 and are planning to stay in CL rooms at the Poly. Very excited! I've read about the different level rooms - garden view (patio), Lagoon view (no balcony) and Theme Park view (balcony.) I'm curious as to whether all the rooms on the side that doesn't face the lagoon are considered garden view, even if they are on the 2nd or 3rd floor? How does that work? And could someone also tell me where the lounge is located and whether it is better to be near it (for convenience with the kids and a group of 10 people traveling together) or far (if it tends to be noisy?) What floor do you enter the lounge from?

Yes, all of the rooms that are on the side that doesn't face the lagoon are GV. The rooms on the 1st floor have patios. The second floor rooms in Hawaii (all of them regardless of category) only have sliders and all of the third floor rooms have balconies. Just to clarify, not all of the TPV rooms necessarily have balconies. There are some TPV rooms located on the first floor, so they have patios, and some on second floor, and therefore don't have balconies. Likewise, there are some LV rooms on the first floor (patios) and one on the third floor (balcony). It's the floor that the room is on that determines if it has a patio, slider or balcony, not the category of room.

The lounge is located on the second floor. There is also a loft section with a bathroom and some seating on the third floor, with a third floor entrance, that accesses the main part of the lounge via an internal staircase. I don't think being located near the lounge would really be noisy, other than maybe foot traffic in the hall around food service times? :confused3 (I don't think there would be a lot of noise from the lounge itself)

All CL rooms that do not face the lagoon are GV. The lounge is located on the second (serving area) and third floor (additional seating). Access to the main area is on the second floor, but you can easily get there from any floor. Our room preference is in the middle of the building, 3rd floor--close enough to the exits and lounge, but far enough from the elevator that noise isn't an issue. Honestly though, we have never been bothered by any noise from the lounge itself--only folks who are noisy in the hallways. :confused3

Yes, all of the rooms that are on the side that doesn't face the lagoon are GV. The rooms on the 1st floor have patios. The second floor rooms in Hawaii (all of them regardless of category) only have sliders and all of the third floor rooms have balconies. Just to clarify, not all of the TPV rooms necessarily have balconies. There are some TPV rooms located on the first floor, so they have patios, and some on second floor, and therefore don't have balconies. Likewise, there are some LV rooms on the first floor (patios) and one on the third floor (balcony). It's the floor that the room is on that determines if it has a patio, slider or balcony, not the category of room.

The lounge is located on the second floor. There is also a loft section with a bathroom and some seating on the third floor, with a third floor entrance, that accesses the main part of the lounge via an internal staircase. I don't think being located near the lounge would really be noisy, other than maybe foot traffic in the hall around food service times? :confused3 (I don't think there would be a lot of noise from the lounge itself)

We must have been typing at the same time! Great minds think alike! :rotfl:

Hello fellow Poly Lover's.

I am in need of some advice.

DH and i are planning (well I am planning, he just talks about it) a trip after tax season for us. This will be our 1st trp alone since 1989 (our Honeymoon). We plan on calling it our 24 Anniversary trip since our actual date is June 30th and that is just a crazy time of year to go.

We never really do much for our Anniversary so figured we would go for it in April. The Poly is our family spot, we have stayed 3 times, twice CL.

Here is where i want opinions.

I keep asking him where he wants to stay and he says Poly CL. Right now with Spring offer it's only 20% off, so i booked BWI at 30% and he says that's fine. I am all for trying the BWI because we love Epcot. He keeps saying well the Poly has the monorail there.

I am going to be at WDW in 6 days with my DD. I could have the opportunity to book Poly CL with BB at 35% so according to my math is approx $136 more per night than what i have at BWI SV.

SO i was wondering how many of you would suprise him with Poly CL or how many are thinking we have have our own spot at BWI and leave the Poly for family time.

On a side note...Hawaii should be done by April 21? Also, any other construction planned for that time other than the other Longhouses?

Thanks so much (i am really torn on trying something new for us or surprising him with his fav)

DH and i are planning (well I am planning, he just talks about it) a trip after tax season for us. This will be our 1st trp alone since 1989 (our Honeymoon). We plan on calling it our 24 Anniversary trip since our actual date is June 30th and that is just a crazy time of year to go.

We never really do much for our Anniversary so figured we would go for it in April. The Poly is our family spot, we have stayed 3 times, twice CL.

I keep asking him where he wants to stay and he says Poly CL. Right now with Spring offer it's only 20% off, so i booked BWI at 30% and he says that's fine. I am all for trying the BWI because we love Epcot. He keeps saying well the Poly has the monorail there.

I am going to be at WDW in 6 days with my DD. I could have the opportunity to book Poly CL with BB at 35% so according to my math is approx $136 more per night than what i have at BWI SV.

SO i was wondering how many of you would suprise him with Poly CL or how many are thinking we have have our own spot at BWI and leave the Poly for family time.

On a side note...Hawaii should be done by April 21? Also, any other construction planned for that time other than the other Longhouses?

Thanks so much (i am really torn on trying something new for us or surprising him with his fav)

I think if I were there alone w/o my kids, I would be a little sad to go back to the Poly, especially since you've been there so many times w/ them. Since you'll be alone, I would assume you'd be spending more time at Epcot? Every time we go, we debate about location, and we've been staying on the monorail line since our kids are young, but when they're teenagers, we're all looking forward to staying at one of the Epcot resorts!! -- my favorite "evening" park.

image_zps5e221cc8.jpg

PolyAddict said:

If it were me in that situation, I'd definitely book the Poly as a surprise if it were within your budget if a BB offer was available.

Bonny

It sounds like your husband would like to stay at the Poly so I say surprise him if you can!

Since someone else posted some fabulous drink photos - here is one of the menu along with the Island Sunset. While it is not the strongest drink, it is the perfect one to pick up after check in while you wander around the resort ;)

DSC00740.jpg

Maybe I'm the only one - but this does not look dark to me. Not in the 5 times I've stayed in this type of decorated Poly room -
DSC00731.jpg

Just ignore the excited children :)

And since I'm on a photo kick - here are some of the cabanas. I'm seriously considering booking these as an additional surprise for my DD's birthday trip (and she doesn't know I booked the Poly :hyper:)

DSC00772.jpg

DSC00771.jpg

DSC00769.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter