ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: September 2012

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by guitarob, Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cindie-rella

Cindie-rella ...Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age.

It was for 8 nights LV...and adding it up quickly it actually looks like the total trip, incl airfare, meals & spending and of course the resort and park hoppers w/wp looks like we spent approx $9200. or a little better. We did not pay rack rate either...that was with a 35% room discount.It just kind of disgusted me when I look at the overall cost...whew ! That's quite a bit to leave not really feeling like we had a great vacation. I might say it was just ok, but not really good and definitely not great.
    I know Alli76 that you said you'd be there the same time as us. Maybe it was luck of the draw as to what parks we did on what days that made the difference. I felt overwhelmed at times with the crowds. I have never experienced Disney so crowded. We have always had great experiences as far as weather and crowds. So I guess I just had myself set up for basically the same great vacation. My cousin always goes in the peak of summer and said he deals with big crowds, so he's used to it and knows exactly what to expect. I guess the slow days are further and fewer in between :confused3
    I'd still like to go back, just for now it will take DH some time to heal from his disappointments. Maybe in time he will want to give it another shot. I just can't talk about going again right now while its still fresh in his mind :sad2:
    All that said, I'm sure glad I got to experience the POLY b/c I really did think it was so beautiful ! :goodvibes

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Cindie-rella

Cindie-rella ...Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age.

We requested Tahiti 1st fl Lagoon View and were placed in room 1030. Exactly what we requested. Was a very private and quiet area with a nice view of the Castle & monorail and close to the MK boat. View was terrific! Granddaughter could walk down to the beach and play while I sat on our patio and watched her. I preferred the 1st floor and so glad that I requested it. Just a great location ! :thumbsup2 :goodvibes I will post a few pics when I finally download them.

4. princessap

princessap DIS Veteran

Have a great time!! I am debating between poly again or CR and I had been told that cR tpv was cheaper than poly lagoon view?! did that not work the same for you?

5. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

Getting requests fulfilled depends on how busy the resort is, but the CM will do everything he/she can to fulfill your request :). With that said, if when you check in, you are not assigned a room in Tahiti, you can always ask the CM if a room will be available later in the day (if you're willing to wait). Disney is usually very accommodating and if there is any way they can accommodate your requests, they will. My preference would be a balcony, but I think either a balcony or patio would be good. Have a great trip :wizard:.

I think you're right. There are still times where crowds aren't too bad, but I think what used to be "slow" periods are no longer slow :sad2:.

6. fla4fun

fla4fun DIS Veteran

I will be there in a TPV room that week also (not as long as you though). Since Tahiti isn't scheduled to go down for refurb until July 14th, I figure that's where we'll probably be. I imagine it's a pretty popular spot over the 4th. I have requested a third floor balcony, but not a specific longhouse. I spent last July 4th in a TPV at CR, and liked being outside on the balcony. I'm concerned that if I get a patio room, I'll have a lot of people standing outside blocking my view of the fireworks, and I'd really like some outdoor space. I'm looking forward to comparing how the two very different views of the fireworks stack up. At CR, it was like watching a tennis match because some fireworks were on the lagoon to the left of us, and some over MK to the right. I'm hoping that the overall view will be better at Poly.

7. HappyMomma

HappyMomma I'd rather be walking down Main Street, USA.

Oh no. :( This has me nervous. We are not crowd people either. It's been 4 years since we have been, but we did notice you could no longer get dining reservations on our last trip. It was so annoying. To think that you have to wait hours for rides is insane! If that is what happens on our trip I know we'll be done too.

I wish you would have had a better experience. I feel bad for you. And super worried for us.

8. WDWKOOK

WDWKOOK NOW WITH LESS TAG!

Aloha and Happy Mother's Day!

9. andyman8

andyman8 DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.disboards.com/s

Happy Mother's Day everybody. Also, just 19 days until we're at the Polynesian!:cool1:

10. EnchantedLilly

EnchantedLilly Earning My Ears

We usually stay garden view at the Polynesian, and with money for spending and food the trip ends up costing upwards from $10,000. We just got back as well, and I have to agree with you, the crowds were horrible at the parks compared to years past at the same time. With some of the longhouses being down for refurb the actual resort was not that crowded. At the parks, I have never been bumped into as much as this trip. We would get to the parks shortly after 9am, and we had a good hour of short ride wait times, but after 10:00am the lines were long, BTMRR had a wait time of 40 minutes, I have never seen it that long since we went at easter.

I'm sorry to hear about your trip but I do agree, the Polynesian is beautiful!

11. valenrandy

valenrandy From Astroworld to Disneyworld

Thanks! Can't wait to see your pics!

12. valenrandy

We have had CR TPV twice before (11th floor) over 4th of July week and I loved it but DW thought it was time for a change. We stayed at poly CL GV for Xmas 2 years ago and we loved it! Here I am hoping for more of that love lol. We we also considering WL CL as it cost the same as Poly LV.

13. valenrandy

I know the request is just that, with nothing certain. That has me a little on edge as the only 2 options available when I booked yesterday with my AP discount was standard view and lagoon view. I requested Tahiti 3rd floor balcony as my first choice and Tahiti 1st floor patio as 2nd choice. I hope that's a decent enough request. I just saw on Tikimans site that there are only 2 LV rooms on the 3rd floor so that request is almost certain to not be granted. Maybe I should change it to 2nd floor as there are many moor rooms??? I wouldn't mind a ground floor room provided that there was not a 8ft hedge I front blooming everything lol! (I know I'm picky)

14. scampagna6

scampagna6 Mouseketeer

Based on just theme park view alone...is the view much better in Hawaii (I know it's Club Level) or is Tahiti's view just as good?

I have TPV booked and requested Tahiti but trying to decide if I should upgrade to Hawaii TPV CL... pictures of each view would be great also :)

TIA

15. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

Not sure if you've stayed WL CL before, but we think it's amazing :thumbsup2. Our favorite resort is the Poly, but we wouldn't hesitate to go back to WL CL as the CMs are great, the food offerings are good, and I love how the lounge overlooks the lobby.

I think your request is good as it lets the CM know that you really want the Tahiti longhouse. I agree about not wanting an 8 ft hedge blocking everything......I know I wouldn't want to pay Poly prices (with or without a discount) and have landscaping in my face blocking a nice view every time I looked out :sad2:.

16. Cdn Friends of Pooh

Cdn Friends of Pooh Certified Mousejunkie

This is the view from Hawaii ... In our opinion, the view is very similar in Tahiti

[​IMG]

17. valenrandy

That's a fantastic view! We could only wish our LV offers something similar :-)

18. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

What an amazing view :cloud9:.

19. 1971DBday

1971DBday Keep moving forward!

I want to be in that hammock right now!

20. psac

psac DIS Veteran

It may be off topic for the thread, but the two best tips for lessening crowd impact is 1) go to the parks at rope drop, being at the Poly will help for MK, and 2) use a crowd calendar site like Easywdw for the best and worse parks for each day. It REALLY makes a difference. "Everyone" goes to MK on Monday, Epcot on Tuesday, etc., and you don't want to be with that crowd.

No matter what though, it will never be empty, especially in the afternoons. Good luck!!!

21. catho72

catho72 DIS Veteran

We have a Poly CL trip planned in two months. Our family would also like to do a Wishes Dessert party, but are the two redundant? Since we are able to see (and hear) Wishes from the CL lounge and enjoy desserts during the fireworks, is doing the Dessert party a waste of money? Or is the view and ambiance of doing the Wishes Dessert party at MK worth the money? Help!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.