ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of staying here in January, but nervous about the construction. Will the pools be shut down?

Thinking of staying here in January, but nervous about the construction. Will the pools be shut down?

I believe the volcano pool is going down for a short time in January for resurfacing. The quiet pool will be open during that time and there will also be a launch over to the Grand Floridian pool. It goes down for a much larger refurbishment in March

I've read such amazing reviews. Even with the construction, for a first stay at Disney, would you still recommend staying here? I'm so torn!!!!

I've read such amazing reviews. Even with the construction, for a first stay at Disney, would you still recommend staying here? I'm so torn!!!!

When are you going? The longer the time from now the more construction you will run into.

January 16-18. Taking the Fantasy out on the 18th. Trying to figure out where to stay before the cruise. 2 adults and 2 kids - both 5.

January 16-18. Taking the Fantasy out on the 18th. Trying to figure out where to stay before the cruise. 2 adults and 2 kids - both 5.

There will be the construction near Tahiti and Rapa Nui and the pool is due to go down for resurfacing for a few days in January. You could stay on the other side of the resort to minimize being near the construction at that point, as I haven't yet heard or seen that anything will be done on that side. There will be a launch to the Grand Floridian to use their pool while the Poly pool is down and there is also the quiet pool. Being that it is January it may be too cold to swim also. We don't yet know when the work will start on the Great Ceremonial House. They are expected to do that in sections as to not disturb the guests too much. It is unknown at this point when it will start.

At least for me and my family these are not very big issues as we can minimize our contact with it. We will probably stay at the other side of the resort, for us it will be too cold to swim, and whatever may be down at the GCH wont really effect us very much unless it is Capt Cooks and then that will probably get moved as to not leave resort with no quick service.

We love the Poly and find it extremely relaxing and convenient. If these issues wont bother you then I would say go for it. It is a beautiful and calming resort. Only you know though how this would effect you.

I have no idea when I will be able to have my dream and finally stay at the Poly but I like to keep up to date on everything going on.

Subbing to the thread. The Poly is by far my all time favorite! We own DVC at BCV and will add on at Poly! We are booked right now Jan 9 to 15 in the honeymoon suite but so torn right now about the pool etc. I know it may be cool but we have had sunny warm days at Disney in January before... Would love to enjoy the pool one more time along w the pool bar before all the changes! Anyone know how long the resuracing will take??? Thinking of changing to GF RPC but would really miss the atmosphere of the Poly!

in on the second page :)

we have our trip to hopefully our new favorite resort coming this Christmas!! We love visiting the Poly every trip so we are super excited about staying here.. even with the construction..

This is so bittersweet I actually have teary eyes.

The last time a new poly thread was started I was going to WDW in a few short months. Sadly I have no trip planned for a few years.

But I am excited for all of you that do.

I was looking at possibly staying at the Poly for one night in April since we are taking the auto train to FL (to the beaches if Lee County not to mention a free place to stay).

So I saw the 35% off and it so happened that the last day it is offered is the day we arrive on the train. So I looked and realized it was more with that discount then I paid in August also with a discount. And then I saw about the pool being down.

I know my kids, my son mainly, would of loved to spend the afternoon playing pool games. But it wasn't meant to be.

Last week I looked at the BC and had the same jaw dropping sticker shock.

We might stop in dtd and maybe take the bus to the poly for a dole whip but I am not sure yet.

I guess I will have a wait and see in the Poly construction and them plan after we know when it's going to be complete.

Sigh.....

monorailsilver said:

The last time a new poly thread was started I was going to WDW in a few short months. Sadly I have no trip planned for a few years.

I was looking at possibly staying at the Poly for one night in April since we are taking the auto train to FL (to the beaches if Lee County not to mention a free place to stay).

So I saw the 35% off and it so happened that the last day it is offered is the day we arrive on the train. So I looked and realized it was more with that discount then I paid in August also with a discount. And then I saw about the pool being down.

I know my kids, my son mainly, would of loved to spend the afternoon playing pool games. But it wasn't meant to be.

We might stop in dtd and maybe take the bus to the poly for a dole whip but I am not sure yet.

I guess I will have a wait and see in the Poly construction and them plan after we know when it's going to be complete.

Sigh.....

I agree. While I love the WDW deluxe resorts, especially the Poly, the prices are getting to be too much. Next year we are planning on a 7 night DCL cruise on the Fantasy. It's half the price of us staying at Poly for 7 nights with 6 day PH's, not to mention the cruise is all you can eat. I know you can't really compare the two but we feel the cruise is a much better value. I would love to squeeze in a few days at WDW next December though, hehe.

I hope you can make it back to the Poly soon!

Sent from my Galaxy SII

I'm excited for our trip to the poly in January little nervous about construction going on. Need to put a room request in for a quite room as my youngest daughter will be 6 months old and nap time will be important for our trip for me (dad) and her!

I'm excited for our trip to the poly in January little nervous about construction going on. Need to put a room request in for a quite room as my youngest daughter will be 6 months old and nap time will be important for our trip for me (dad) and her!

You might want to ask for the other side of the resort because as far as we know there wont be any work going on over there. Fiji is good as is Areotoa. They are a little further from the TTC but close to the GCH. Also I figure you will be using a stroller. We found, with my wheelchair at least, that it was easier using the resort monorail rather than going to the TTC. When going to Epcot it takes a little more time but we found it easier. I would cal CRO and request the longhouse you decide on with them and then do it again when you do online check in.

You might want to ask for the other side of the resort because as far as we know there wont be any work going on over there. Fiji is good as is Areotoa. They are a little further from the TTC but close to the GCH. Also I figure you will be using a stroller. We found, with my wheelchair at least, that it was easier using the resort monorail rather than going to the TTC. When going to Epcot it takes a little more time but we found it easier. I would cal CRO and request the longhouse you decide on with them and then do it again when you do online check in.

Thank you. In not sure what those abbreviations stand for. Kinda confused. Could you help me. Which area should I pick. Most if our time will be in mk. Do some of the standard rooms have more sq ft because we have 5. Any help would be great. Nap time is pretty important and I don't want to look at a construction site when I walk our of room.

Thank you. In not sure what those abbreviations stand for. Kinda confused. Could you help me. Which area should I pick. Most if our time will be in mk. Do some of the standard rooms have more sq ft because we have 5. Any help would be great. Nap time is pretty important and I don't want to look at a construction site when I walk our of room.

Sorry sweetie. TTC is the Ticket and Transportation Center. The TTC is where you would catch the monorail to Epcot. The GCH is the Great Ceremonial House where all the dining, check in and stores are. If you are mainly going to Magic Kingdom I would say maybe stay in Fiji as it is close to the Great Ceremonial House and close to the monorail stop at the resort. You will get the music from the Luau at night but I don't think it is that loud and with the door shut you shouldn't hear much if anything. It is also over at 10 PM. Most of the longhouses that have the most room are now being taken up by the DVC construction. The only other one is right by the construction so you risk the noise and view. The rooms at the Poly, I think, are the largest on site. Five people in one if those rooms really isn't bad at all. There are four of us, three are adults and my youngest is 15, so a pretty big kid and we are extremely comfortable. I am guessing you will have a pack and play for the baby to sleep in. I have a large electric wheelchair which probably takes up about as much space and it is never in the way when we bring it into the room at the Poly Areotoa is also a nice longhouse but you get the chance of getting a monorail view. It is a pretty cool view especially if you have an older child, older than the baby, but I don't know what, if any, noise there would be from it. If it where me I would go with either of those two longhouses. Fiji faces the marina on one side and garden on the other. Areotoa faces the monorail on one side and garden, lagoon, and theme park view on the other. You would get a garden view with a standard room.

We will be staying at the Poly in June 2014...238 more days :)) should I be worried about the construction? We've stayed there once and fell in love with it. This time I am bringing my 65 year old sister who has never been to Disney. Just want to be sure it's just as magical for her as it was for us ;)

We will be staying at the Poly in June 2014...238 more days :)) should I be worried about the construction? We've stayed there once and fell in love with it. This time I am bringing my 65 year old sister who has never been to Disney. Just want to be sure it's just as magical for her as it was for us ;)

There will still be construction when you go. You have to decide where in the resort you want to stay, construction side or non construction side. I would do some research on where the construction is, what it is, and if you can live with it. If it were me I would go to the other side of the resort from the construction. To me it will still be a magical, wonderful, calming place even with the construction. The resort itself is large enough for me to pretty much stay removed from it. Of course they will be doing work on the GCH at some time and that you wont be able to avoid. They are supposed to do it in sections as to not disturb the guests too much. We don't yet know when that will begin. Also the pool will be down during the time you are there but there will be a launch over to the Grand Floridian and there is also the quiet pool.

Sigh.....

OT - but you might want to avoid the Lee County beaches if the Lake O releases are still going on. The water is nasty, and gators have been photographed in the gulf. It's crazy. Stick with Venice Beach, or Sarasota even.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter