ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in the world now and had breakfast at O'Hana yesterday. While there, we asked if we could see a room since my youngest DD really wants to stay here next August for her bday. Well, after seeing a newly refurbed room and taking a tour of the grounds (we dine here on every trip but never walked around), all I can say is we are definitely booking the Poly for next year's trip. My entire family loved it! We all agreed the new rooms are so much brighter & nicer and we're excited. Everyone agreed they could live with construction and the only thing that will be a deal breaker for us will be if the main pool is down. Soooooooo...right now it looks like it will be the Poly for August 2014 :)

We decided to do a split stay in July to see if we liked it.................WE FELL IN LOVE!!! Don't get me wrong, BC is still a great resort especially for the Epcot location and the boat to DHS. But, Poly is now my favorite resort :love:

We are heading back to Disney for Mardi Gras, and the only reason we are not booking at Poly is because it will be a BIT too cold for us to use the pool. I'm hoping we will also book a summer trip so I can get back there!!!

We decided to do a split stay in July to see if we liked it.................WE FELL IN LOVE!!! Don't get me wrong, BC is still a great resort especially for the Epcot location and the boat to DHS. But, Poly is now my favorite resort :love:

We are heading back to Disney for Mardi Gras, and the only reason we are not booking at Poly is because it will be a BIT too cold for us to use the pool. I'm hoping we will also book a summer trip so I can get back there!!!

Ocalla February actually might not be too cold for the pool. Lately we are not having bad winters down here. Especially if you are from up north what we think is cold is fine for you guys. My sister always calls me a weather wimp when it is 70 and I am freezing. LOL

mommyrosa2 so glad to have you as a fellow Poly lover. I am really amazed at how much this resort has come to mean to me. It is not Disney unless we stay there. Our last trip we spent much more time than we ever did at the resort. We go a lot so we stopped going commando several years ago but there were actually days that we didn't go to the parks at all. That was a first for us. Normally we went to the parks every day with a break. This time was not like that. We actually wanted to stay at the resort on certain days and had no want to go to the parks. It was wonderful just hanging around the Poly.

Ocalla February actually might not be too cold for the pool. Lately we are not having bad winters down here. Especially if you are from up north what we think is cold is fine for you guys. My sister always calls me a weather wimp when it is 70 and I am freezing. LOL

Just looked it up. The average high temp is around 70 and the average nightly low is in the 50's. The Poly pool is also heated.

Nope, not from up north!! This little "Cajun" gets cold out if it dips below 80!!! There was one day this past July, that was very overcast.............it was too cold for me to get in the pool :rotfl2:

soooooo, or darn, I had to sit by the bar and have a few cocktails!!!

Nope, not from up north!! This little "Cajun" gets cold out if it dips below 80!!! There was one day this past July, that was very overcast.............it was too cold for me to get in the pool :rotfl2:

soooooo, or darn, I had to sit by the bar and have a few cocktails!!!

Ocalla that must just have been TORTURE!! ROFL You are like me then a weather wimp. I am the same way with the temps. It gets down to 70 and I am shivering. One good thing about cold though is you can put clothes on to get warm. When it is hot you can only take so much off before you get arrested or in my case it gets disgusting LOL

Ocalla that must just have been TORTURE!! ROFL You are like me then a weather wimp. I am the same way with the temps. It gets down to 70 and I am shivering. One good thing about cold though is you can put clothes on to get warm. When it is hot you can only take so much off before you get arrested or in my case it gets disgusting LOL

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

ocalla said:

We love the BC but have always wanted to try the poly. Both daughters want to stay so bad so we also talked about doing a split stay if we see the construction is going to be too much as we get closer. DH doesn't normally like to split but he'll go with the flow

DH really enjoyed the resort once I finally convinced him to give it a try! But what REALLY sold him was...............the Tonga Toast. Really. we were there for 4 nights, and had Kona breakfast 3 mornings :rolleyes1 He also LOVED the monorail over to MK. It allowed us to spend so much more time at MK since we were so close.

The bartenders at the Pool Bar have the BEST VIEW of all the Pool bars in the World!!!

I would always read about being able to see MK from the resort, but didn't really know how wonderful that was until we went to the pool the first day :banana:

DH really enjoyed the resort once I finally convinced him to give it a try! But what REALLY sold him was...............the Tonga Toast. Really. we were there for 4 nights, and had Kona breakfast 3 mornings :rolleyes1 He also LOVED the monorail over to MK. It allowed us to spend so much more time at MK since we were so close.

The bartenders at the Pool Bar have the BEST VIEW of all the Pool bars in the World!!!

I would always read about being able to see MK from the resort, but didn't really know how wonderful that was until we went to the pool the first day :banana:

We have never tried the Tonga Toast believe it or not. I love having the monorail right there too. We are very much MK and Epcot people so it is just perfect for us. We do go to DHS but not as much as MK and Epcot. We actually didn't even go to AK this trip. No one really seemed into going. It is a really hot park, documented hotter than the others, and there wasn't enough there that we wanted to see. We have stayed at AK before and it was nice but is nowhere near as wonderful as the Poly. We found the rooms actually to be or maybe feel much more cramped. I also smoke. I know I shouldn't, and to go to the smoking area was quite a haul especially when I would wake up and couldn't go back to sleep in the middle of the night. Although I am a smoker I follow the rules about where to smoke 100%. I do not subject others to it by smoking on balconies or where I am not supposed to. Not fair to those that don't smoke. I love just hopping on the monorail or walking over to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail. Soooooo much easier. There is just something about the Poly that relaxes me the minute I get on property. Everything else just goes away.

karriealex said:
mommyrosa2 so glad to have you as a fellow Poly lover. I am really amazed at how much this resort has come to mean to me. It is not Disney unless we stay there. Our last trip we spent much more time than we ever did at the resort. We go a lot so we stopped going commando several years ago but there were actually days that we didn't go to the parks at all. That was a first for us. Normally we went to the parks every day with a break. This time was not like that. We actually wanted to stay at the resort on certain days and had no want to go to the parks. It was wonderful just hanging around the Poly.

We haven't had too much park time yet b/c my oldest got really sick the evening we arrived & ended up at celebration hospital the morning of our first full day. Now that she is feeling better, we will try to make up some time, however we are not park commandos anymore so we enjoy resort time

We haven't had too much park time yet b/c my oldest got really sick the evening we arrived & ended up at celebration hospital the morning of our first full day. Now that she is feeling better, we will try to make up some time, however we are not park commandos anymore so we enjoy resort time

I am so sorry your eldest got sick. What happened? I am so glad she is feeling better. You have the right idea on how to handle the rest of your vacation. You will love just languishing around the resort. It is so peaceful and beautiful.

I am so sorry your eldest got sick. What happened? I am so glad she is feeling better. You have the right idea on how to handle the rest of your vacation. You will love just languishing around the resort. It is so peaceful and beautiful.

We arrived on Sunday morning and by Sunday afternoon she said her stomach hurt. I thought it was the heat and we kept plugging along. Went to MK for our dinner res at BOG and she said she couldn't eat b/c her belly wasn't better. Within an hour, she was practically keeled over in so much pain. She and I left the MK back to the resort. She then woke up around 1:00 and got "sick" and didn't stop until she got IV and meds at the hospital. Doctor said it was a stomach bug that she could have gotten anywhere (on the plane, here, who knows). It's been crazy but it's forced us to slow way down which is ok and now gave us the opportunity to checkout the Poly :)

We arrived on Sunday morning and by Sunday afternoon she said her stomach hurt. I thought it was the heat and we kept plugging along. Went to MK for our dinner res at BOG and she said she couldn't eat b/c her belly wasn't better. Within an hour, she was practically keeled over in so much pain. She and I left the MK back to the resort. She then woke up around 1:00 and got "sick" and didn't stop until she got IV and meds at the hospital. Doctor said it was a stomach bug that she could have gotten anywhere (on the plane, here, who knows). It's been crazy but it's forced us to slow way down which is ok and now gave us the opportunity to checkout the Poly :)

Awwwww poor little sweetheart. I am so glad she is feeling better. Stomach bugs are nasty. I picked one up at the airport coming home from visiting my sister. I had vicious stomach pain for a week. Wasn't sure it was a bug until the rest of the family came down with it. I was concerned about a partial intestinal blockage till the kids and dh got it. I can so relate to her and to you. It is so hard when our kids get sick but even harder when you are in a strange city. I am glad you are getting some quality Poly time. :hug::hug:

I know this is :offtopic: but may I ask what package you booked for your vow renewal? DH and I were thinking about renewing next year at the Poly. We were looking into that package that allows 20 guests, but the ceremony area did not list the Poly. TIA :) and enjoy your trip :thumbsup2

We booked the Memories Package (up to 4 guests plus the couple.) I do believe they have discontinued Sunset Beach as a wedding location due to DVC construction, but I haven't heard anything about Luau Beach being discontinued.

We did have a working fridge in Hawaii a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like maybe the rest of the resort might not though. We are staying non CL in December and we really need the refrigerator both for soda and water and for my insulin. I know if you need one for medical reasons they try and get you one but if it is busy you aren't assured one. We just can't afford to do CL again so soon so we have to go standard or go to another resort which I seriously do not want to do. I don't feel I am at home unless I am at the Poly. Going to another resort really would be a vacation breaker for me and I suspect for dh also. He is SET on the Poly ONLY from now on. He won't even consider another resort. I think my passion for the Poly has rubbed off on him. People may say given our financial standing that we are silly and being wasteful staying at the Poly but it really is the only place the entire family especially my dh relaxes. He works very very hard doing a job that a much younger man should be doing. I try very hard to make things calm and relaxing for him when we go away. He deserves it and he really truly does not ask for much. It is a struggle for us to be able to afford it as dh is the only one working and I only get a disability check but to see my husband relaxed and happy and the rest of the family happy it is worth it to me.

The Poly is an amazing resort and I always feel away from it all when we're there, whether we're staying there or just visiting :goodvibes.

Here in the world now and had breakfast at O'Hana yesterday. While there, we asked if we could see a room since my youngest DD really wants to stay here next August for her bday. Well, after seeing a newly refurbed room and taking a tour of the grounds (we dine here on every trip but never walked around), all I can say is we are definitely booking the Poly for next year's trip. My entire family loved it! We all agreed the new rooms are so much brighter & nicer and we're excited. Everyone agreed they could live with construction and the only thing that will be a deal breaker for us will be if the main pool is down. Soooooooo...right now it looks like it will be the Poly for August 2014 :)

The Poly is amazing and you will love it :wizard:.

Leaving today!!!! I can't believe it's finally here. We've been counting down since 199 days. SOOOO EXCITED!!!:cheer2:

Have a great trip :cool1:.

Don't get me wrong, BC is still a great resort especially for the Epcot location and the boat to DHS. But, Poly is now my favorite resort :love:

We feel the same way. We did like the BC, but the Poly is our favorite and is just :cloud9:.

I agree ::yes::.

Arriving next Saturday the 31st and got my letter about the fridges. Not worried either was so don't need to have one so I don't wasn't to take it away from someone that did need it. I'm just happy to be staying at the Poly this time around.

OMG!!!!! I'm leaving in 16 hours!!! I know there are others here on the Poly thread who are also going tomorrow, so congrats to everyone!

I am going to try a live report, so I hope folks will come along!

I hope everyone has a great time! I will answer all the questions I can too!

Yay have an amazing time! We are also leaving out soon headed to the Poly, leaving in about 6 hours! :cheer2: I can't sleep, obviously since I'm on here, so I'm playing online instead.

I hope everyone going soon has an amazing trip; stay safe everyone!

Oh also, if anyone is on twitter or instagram I'll be live tweeting and posting pictures from my disney/poly trip, so feel free to follow me @MaryReiber on twitter and instagram!

At the Poly now..love it but boy is the pool crowded!!! They were checking IDs and giving wristbands the first couple days of our trip but nothing since! I hope when the new pool goes in that it is gated off. I saw a whole gaggle of people with magic bands on in the pool the other day, all using the slide, making the line even longer :( not fair to my kids or anyone else paying for the Poly amenities. Sorry, vent over! 2 more days in paradise!!!! Will be sad to go home after 9 nights here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter