ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: January 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are soo lucky you get to go for the first time!! I wish I could go back to when it was all new to me!

I would post some pics but they have been posted here.. Then I would get "Carl's pics AGAIN" blaaah!

I had first set foot on Poly property at age 7 on my first visit to WDW back in 1985. :goodvibes We were staying offsite in Kissimmee. I remember wanting to stay at Poly sooooo badly, and that has stayed with me ever since - I'm 33 now!!! I will celebrate my 34th bday at the Poly!!! :banana::banana:
This will be my 8th trip to Disney, but our first deluxe stay. I have not been on Poly property since 1985, and I am so curious to see if I get those same feelings as I did when I was 7!!! :wizard:

I did some shopping this weekend. My son will be stylin at the Poly!

Moms of little girls shouldn't have all the fun picking out kids' clothes for Disney;)

Hey poly peeps! Another great day in DW! Went to both BB and TL today. Ate supper at Captain Cooks and am FULL! Going to see if DD wants to see the movie on the beach tonight. I think it's "Up!" and it's one of my favs. :cool1:

Tomorrow is AK!

Love the Big Kahuna shirt!! So Cute!!
Thank you! The Big Kahuna shirt is my fave too.

So cute! Can I ask where you got them?
Thanks! Sure, it is the new summer line at Gymboree.
http://www.gymboree.com/shop/dept_c...<>ast_id=1408474395917465&bmUID=1334618637785
We had gymbucks that we wanted to use and I thought of the Poly as soon as I saw the pineapples!
They actually have similar designs for the whole family.
http://www.gymboree.com/shop/dept_c...<>ast_id=1408474395917465&bmUID=1334618635757

Hey poly peeps! Another great day in DW! Went to both BB and TL today. Ate supper at Captain Cooks and am FULL! Going to see if DD wants to see the movie on the beach tonight. I think it's "Up!" and it's one of my favs. :cool1:

Tomorrow is AK!

Sounds like a great time and Up on the beach would be a great way to finish the day!

Tomorrow is AK!

Where's our pics?? They always say "pics or it didn't happen" :rotfl2:

Hi all...been lurking on the boards for a while and since there seem to be lots of Poly experts here, I was wondering if I could ask for opinions.

We are headed to the Poly on April 28th for a week, for our family's first trip to Disney. We have two children...ages 3 and 7. This board has been very, very helpful while planning our trip!

We are staying garden view club level, which I suppose is the Hawaii building. I was considering making a room request for either a 1st or 3rd floor room. I would be upset if we got 2nd floor, as there would be nowhere to escape to when my 3 year old naps or goes to sleep. I like the thought of being able to sit on a balcony or patio to read or sit and chat with my husband while she naps.

Any thoughts on balcony versus patio?

Looking forward to our first trip...thanks for any advice!!!

Tomorrow is AK!

Thank you so much for sharing! You just reminded me of one of the best parts of our stay at the Poly...the movie on the beach! The first night we did this, we were watching Tangled (best movie ever!:lovestruc) and just relaxing on the lay down chairs with the girls. Our youngest DD was slowly getting drowsy and the older two were playing in the sand. DH said "Why don't you go get us a drink from the bar?" Wow....this didn't even dawn on me! Over I went and got us two Kona Beers. The best tasting beer ever at that moment. It was just so relaxing and surreal. I cannot wait to be there again!!!

Oh yes, and then CM's came over the speaker and told someone's small children to get out of the water because there were alligators!! :scared1:

I laughed at the time....but now I know it was a real warning!!! And not to mention we took many shortcuts through the bushes at the Poly....not this time after reading about the snakes!!!:scared1::scared1::scared1:

Needless to say I was not a member of the Dis before our last trip!!:lmao:

Thank you! The Big Kahuna shirt is my fave too.

Thanks! Sure, it is the new summer line at Gymboree.
http://www.gymboree.com/shop/dept_c...<>ast_id=1408474395917465&bmUID=1334618637785
We had gymbucks that we wanted to use and I thought of the Poly as soon as I saw the pineapples!
They actually have similar designs for the whole family.
http://www.gymboree.com/shop/dept_c...<>ast_id=1408474395917465&bmUID=1334618635757

Whoohoo! I heading to gymboree this weekend to use my gymbucks!
And we head to the Poly next week:cool1:

Sounds like a great time and Up on the beach would be a great way to finish the day!

Whoohoo! I heading to gymboree this weekend to use my gymbucks!
And we head to the Poly next week:cool1:

Sounds like a great time and Up on the beach would be a great way to finish the day![/QUOTE]

It actually ended up being LILO & Stich instead!!! How awesomely perfect is that!?!? Marshmallows, bonfire and a movie on the beach....bliss.

Where's our pics?? They always say "pics or it didn't happen" :rotfl2:
oh Carl, I wish I cold upload pics for proof, but you'll just have to believe me for now. I don't have any wa to upload pics from my camera while here unfortunately.

Thank you so much for sharing! You just reminded me of one of the best parts of our stay at the Poly...the movie on the beach! The first night we did this, we were watching Tangled (best movie ever!:lovestruc) and just relaxing on the lay down chairs with the girls. Our youngest DD was slowly getting drowsy and the older two were playing in the sand. DH said "Why don't you go get us a drink from the bar?" Wow....this didn't even dawn on me! Over I went and got us two Kona Beers. The best tasting beer ever at that moment. It was just so relaxing and surreal. I cannot wait to be there again!!!

Oh yes, and then CM's came over the speaker and told someone's small children to get out of the water because there were alligators!! :scared1:

I laughed at the time....but now I know it was a real warning!!! And not to mention we took many shortcuts through the bushes at the Poly....not this time after reading about the snakes!!!:scared1::scared1::scared1:

Needless to say I was not a member of the Dis before our last trip!!:lmao:

Never thought of getting an adult beverage for the movie, that's a great idea though. Maybe next time. We've been bugging my mom about the gators and snakes since we go here....lol....hey, there's some loud people down on the ground floor level smoking on their patio....do you think it's Dave? Lol NEVER! JK Dave, I know it's not you......at least, I HOPE it's not you guys. Hahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahaha :lmao:

Hi all...been lurking on the boards for a while and since there seem to be lots of Poly experts here, I was wondering if I could ask for opinions.

We are headed to the Poly on April 28th for a week, for our family's first trip to Disney. We have two children...ages 3 and 7. This board has been very, very helpful while planning our trip!

We are staying garden view club level, which I suppose is the Hawaii building. I was considering making a room request for either a 1st or 3rd floor room. I would be upset if we got 2nd floor, as there would be nowhere to escape to when my 3 year old naps or goes to sleep. I like the thought of being able to sit on a balcony or patio to read or sit and chat with my husband while she naps.

Good question! I'm wondering, too. I think patio would be our preference because if we wanted to go to the lounge while kids were asleep, we could use the outside entrance instead of going through the room. Then again, there are the ducks. Do they come up looking for handouts? Do they get bossy? Fighting off fowl would wreck my porch-time zen!

Do you think room requests should go on the questionaire the IPO sends you, under "Any additional requests" as well as when you talk to the CMs at check-in? I'm kinda clueless about this.

I think this is strictly personal choice. I totally get it that you need a little space so that you don't have to go to sleep at 7 pm. We are in the same situation with our 4 year old. I prefer patio because I'm overly terrified my 4 year old will try to climb over the balcony. I also like that we can sit outside and she can play in the green space when we have a patio. The ducks might come up but they will move on quickly, if you don't feed them.

With that being said, I wouldn't be disappointed with a 3rd floor room. I just have a slight preference for patio. I feel more comfortable leaving the door open while we are in the room. DH can run for a quick trip to Captain Cook's and through the patio door. And, it's a quick trip to the pool.

When you check-in, you can ask what floor the room is on. If they put you on 2nd, then you can ask if you can wait to get a 1st or 3rd. Sometimes, they assign you to first available -- which might be 2nd floor. It never hurts to ask.

I hope you enjoy the Poly!!!

I prefer a balcony over a patio because I'm not fond of first floor rooms. I don't like having people above me in case they're loud. It hasn't been a problem in the past but I'm not willing to chance it. Also, it's easier for wildlife to enter your room on the first floor. I'm not fond of sharing my room with uninvited "guests" if you catch my drift lol

Yes that would definatley be Hawaii building unless pixie dust flies and you get a suite:woohoo:
I prefer balcony due to security reasons. We stayed on the first floor and I worried about the lock on the patio door. Also I like my curtains open during the day and the foot traffic by my window bothers me.
Lots of people prefer patio due to the freedom of an extra exit out of the room and the convienance of have a huge grassy area in front of the patio. With little ones that is a plus. You can sit on your patio and watch em burn off all that extra energy (that you wish you could steal. :rotfl2: )

CHARITY eh at least I tried to get more pics! Just have o wait until your return!

WOW! So much going on here since I have been on. Geeze, miss a few days and look what happens? Adorable boy clothes, poop in the pool, a COMPLETE LACK of pics from folks who may or may not be at the Poly.....we don't really know cuz there are no pics.....:rolleyes1 (jk:goodvibes)

Chiming in on the patio vs balcony. We are balcony folks. I totally get why some folks like a patio while little ones are sleeping for easy exit to acquire some adult libations and fun snacks.....BUT.....I have a "thing" about hearing people walking above me that makes me a little uneasy(weird, I know). Also like Carl, it is a security thing. I feel like people are looking in my room to steal stuff(even though most could care less what crap we have in our room) and if on the first floor we always keep at least the sheers closed. Also think we get less chance of critters showing up on the third floor and it is much more fun to people watch from up there cuz people don't usually look up to see me spying....:cool2: (just a fun past-time and not full-on Gladys Kravitz)

Enjoying the live reports......:surfweb:

Gearing up for a 10 day wait, then it's ALOHHHA Polynesian (a.k.a. second home).

Does anyone know if the fake smell is still being pumped into the main lobby? I remember they began to put it there halfway through our trip when we were there in December. My mom said that it bothered her, so I was just checking.

Thank you!

It actually ended up being LILO & Stich instead!!! How awesomely perfect is that!?!? Marshmallows, bonfire and a movie on the beach....bliss.

OMG - that would be so great! They didn't play Lilo & Stitch at all while we were there in October. I think it should have a weekly spot in their movie rotation!!

Gearing up for a 10 day wait, then it's ALOHHHA Polynesian (a.k.a. second home).

Does anyone know if the fake smell is still being pumped into the main lobby? I remember they began to put it there halfway through our trip when we were there in December. My mom said that it bothered her, so I was just checking.

Thank you!

I think I read a while ago that they have replace the pumped in fake smell with a new fake smell :confused3

Carl - yes it is fast and great. Also, if you don't mind, could you put a few of your favorite pictures up cause we all miss that from you and no one there is going to treat us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter