ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: January 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was hoping someone could answer a couple of questions. I see that Capt. Cook's is open 24 hrs, is that where you fill your refillable mugs? If it is, can you refill your mug 24/7? My dh takes his refillable mug seriously. :)

Last question, the longhouse's look like each building contains hallways and separate rooms. I guess what I'm saying is that they aren't like your moderates where you enter your room from the outdoors. Am I correct about this and are the longhouse's one story? Sorry if this sounded confusing. :crazy2:

Yes, Capt. Cooks is where you fill your mugs, and you can do so 24/7.

The longhouses are three stories (with the exception of Niue, which is two and the only longhouse without an elevator). There are doors at either end of each longhouse. Each longhouse consists of one main hallway on each floor with rooms on either side. You enter your room from the inside of the longhouse.

Wow - no availability the whole month? Wonder if they will be updating the rooms. I remember reading on here that room updates would be starting this fall - maybe they will be doing the Hawaii building in Jan?

I wonder if that's the case - I hope not!!! I've stayed at Poly so many times, but never CL. Now that we decide to try it, we can't get it!

I'm back:wave2:

Hi Poly peeps! :goodvibes

I have been staying off the DIS for various reasons. The main one is that our trip for this year was a maybe and I was really trying not to get all excited and then be disappointed. Today a final decision was made and while it is exciting, if you look at my ticker, we are going in 37 days as opposed to the end of October as originally planned.

This is a bittersweet compromise as we were to meet back up with maiapapaya and her family again this year and be able to spend some time with them.:sad: But with my DH job conflict and other issues this last minute change in plans seems to be the best for us this year. We are only staying 4 nights but we have early arrival flights and late departing flights so we will have five full days. I have never been in August so it should be interesting. It has been hot as heck here so I am not worried about the heat.

This morning has been a whirlwind of changing reservations, booking flights and transport to the airport. The good thing about us is we usually just wing it as far as plans so I will do a little reading and checking out the hours. Since we are staying CL I will let the IPO worry about any ADRs.

So I guess I can do the happy dance! :cool1: If I'm going to get to go, I guess this is the way to go!

I will be popping in some more now that we are booked and getting ready to go!

Happy planning everyone pixiedust:

:sad:

But at least you get to go for sure now ... :hug:

Hi there Poly peeps. I am in the beginning planning stages for our WDW trip in June 2013. I've never been to the Poly, but I absolutely love everything I read about it. I have a couple questions I hope someone can answer:

1. Do the longhouses have a mini-lobby where you enter? Or is it just a side door? I haven't seen a pictures of where you enter longhouses, so I'm curious what it looks like.

2. How close are the rent-able cabanas to the pool? In pictures, they look like they sit back from the pool?

3. I know discounts are never a given and who knows what 2013 will bring, but it looks like the Poly is never discounted more than 20%. Is that right?

Thanks!

pixarmom It's so nice to see you posting over here!

:thumbsup2

Nice to see you again - we chatted a lot on the BC/YC thread!

Dani I had to chuckle at your coffee pot comment yesterday - I think we went through this a few months back...didn't a certain poster insist they had the old 4-cup style pot when in fact they didn't (confirmed the Cuisinart pic was the machine in the room)...but then again that poster also claimed to be in CL & wasn't, and claims to be a CM.....:rotfl:

I think it was confirmed that all rooms had the new Cuisinart pod style machines, in the end!

3. I know discounts are never a given and who knows what 2013 will bring, but it looks like the Poly is never discounted more than 20%. Is that right?

Thanks!

We haven't stayed there yet, so I can't answer your first 2 questions, but we are going in September and got a pin for 30% off. Saved us a lot of money on 7 nights!

Hi there Poly peeps. I am in the beginning planning stages for our WDW trip in June 2013. I've never been to the Poly, but I absolutely love everything I read about it. I have a couple questions I hope someone can answer:

1. Do the longhouses have a mini-lobby where you enter? Or is it just a side door? I haven't seen a pictures of where you enter longhouses, so I'm curious what it looks like.

2. How close are the rent-able cabanas to the pool? In pictures, they look like they sit back from the pool?

Thanks!

1. The only longhouse that has a mini lobi is Rapi Nui (sp). The rest either have a side door or a center door or both.

2. Not sure, never stayed in one but I don't think they are on the waters edge & if you are looking at the MK from the pool I believe they are on the left side.

3. I have had a good discount years ago. I just booked 10 min ago (YAY!!!) for next August & used AAA right now so that was 12%...whoopie..

Going back to the longhouses, we make sure we know the path 'home' when it rains or when it is really hot (it's summer so really hot is a given). But to etiher stay cool or dry we walk thru the longhouses to get to ours.

:thumbsup2

Nice to see you again - we chatted a lot on the BC/YC thread!

Dani I had to chuckle at your coffee pot comment yesterday - I think we went through this a few months back...didn't a certain poster insist they had the old 4-cup style pot when in fact they didn't (confirmed the Cuisinart pic was the machine in the room)...but then again that poster also claimed to be in CL & wasn't, and claims to be a CM.....:rotfl:

I think it was confirmed that all rooms had the new Cuisinart pod style machines, in the end!

The never ending coffee pot saga. :rotfl:

It's ok Tara, we all know he's special. ;)

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you consider a "mini lobby" but Tokelau had a nice sitting area in front of the elevators right inside the main doors. I know because we sat there for 30 min. because theysaid the room was ready, but they were still working in it when we got there! We didn't want to head back to the lobby or pool, so we just camped out there with our luggage for awhile.

We had a 40% AP discount for Poly for this March. It was considered "AP Early Booking" and we booked in early December for March. I haven't seen 40% discounts (AP or other) after that at all.

I'd say Hawaii has a "mini lobby" where you check in for CL, but don't think any other blgs are like that? I am pretty excited to do my first POLY CL check in Sept 28th! :banana:

Most of the longhouses are pretty much just straight hallways with rooms to either side. The exceptions being: Hawaii & Tonga, which house club level and suites, respectively; and Rapa-Nui, Tokelau, and I believe Tahiti, have small sitting areas.

Here is a photo of the Hawaii hallway, which is almost identical to the rest. This was taken at night, hence the black hole at the end where the door is, during the day you can see the end and the light it provides (play on words not quite intentional, hehe):
10 bonus Internet points if you can spot the Hidden Mickeys.

The cabanas sit back from the edge of the water, oh about 30 feet ("ish", maybe a little less). Looking toward the MK, the two "regular" cabanas sit to the right and are back on their own pads off of the edge of the pool deck. The premium cabana sits to the left (and probably won't be there by the time you arrive, rumor has it anyway) but it's over past the barefoot pool bar.

We have received discounts on club level of 35% This was in 2009 & 2010 though. I've also seen some 30% discounts in the past couple of years. But, lately 20% seems to be the go-to discount. Business must be improving.

I'm a LONG TIME WDW patron (since 1971) but this next visit in August will be the FIRST time for me staying at the Poly.

OK Poly vets...Give me one MUST DO thing at the Poly. GO!!!

Since no one else jumped in except Guitarob I'll give you my standard list ... it's too hard to pick just one!

1. hula lessons in the lobby
  2. campfire & movie on the beach
  3. Wishes from the beach (the soundtrack is piped in)
  4. EWP
  5. rent a sea raycer (if you booked a package you should have a coupon for a discount on this)
  6. the torch lighting ceremony
  7. rent a cabana if it's in your budget (so relaxing & private :thumbsup2)

Since no one else jumped in except Guitarob I'll give you my standard list ... it's too hard to pick just one!

1. hula lessons in the lobby
  2. campfire & movie on the beach
  3. Wishes from the beach (the soundtrack is piped in)
  4. EWP
  5. rent a sea raycer (if you booked a package you should have a coupon for a discount on this)
  6. the torch lighting ceremony
  7. rent a cabana if it's in your budget (so relaxing & private :thumbsup2)

Thank you very much Maiapapaya and Guitarob! Any others?

:banana:

We are staying at the poly but not going to MNSSHP. Would watching the fireworks one of those nights from the beach be something we should try to do? Would they pipe in the sounds for that too?

We are staying at the poly but not going to MNSSHP. Would watching the fireworks one of those nights from the beach be something we should try to do? Would they pipe in the sounds for that too?

They do pipe in the sound for Hallowishes as well. Great way to get a little piece of the party without going! :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter