Alligators?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Babyfatt, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Babyfatt

Babyfatt Mouseketeer

Here's an odd question:

I don't want to scare anybody but has any alligators ever been found sunbathing at any of the beach resorts (Contemporary, GF, CB, etc.)?

Being Florida I assume some do get onto the property but do they get as far as getting to the resorts.

The reason for the question is I was just looking at some great resort photos and a lot were with the water. Suddenly for some reason alligators came to mind so I couldn't resist asking.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. TLinden16

TLinden16 <marquee><font color=royalblue>Scotty and Ray at J

Welcome to the DIS Babyfatt! :wave:

I once saw a baby alligator sunbathing at the Coronado Springs resort. There was a small body of water near our bus stop, and it was just lounging out there every morning. This was several years ago.

Karen

4. webray

webray Love the wineauxs!

There are plenty of alligators on disney property. A close eye is kept on them, and yes, they do come up once in a while.

5. Antonia

Antonia DIS Veteran

Hey - I remember that alligator at Coronado Springs!

6. CoolDisneyCat

CoolDisneyCat DVC member - BCV

There is an alligator who hangs out in the canal near the Beach Club Villas.

7. Grumpy37

Grumpy37 Mouseketeer

There is a gator at the Palm golf course, I've seen him twice.

Really, its Florida, so if you've been in the state for 15 minutes you've been near alligators and probably not even realized it. Don't go splashing around in shallow water where they may be lurking or poke at them with sticks or anything and you'll be fine.

Remember that they want to be left alone. Also, their speed on land is "burst speed", they can move a short distance quickly but not long distances.

The gators in WDW that are potentially troublesome are relocated, just like anywhere else in Florida where people and gators sometimes wind up being too close to each other.

8. mickeycw

mickeycw Mouseketeer

We saw one in September in the pond at the WL!

9. ironz

ironz could always use some pixie dust

All I know is that they better be scared when the triathlon in May starts... Or I need to keep working on swimming fast!!

floridafam...if you read this...how about we "tell" the gators that the tri is way across the lake, or even in 7 seas lagoon...just so they won't come around looking for snacks! haha!:eek:

10. COACHSTING

COACHSTING Mouseketeer

Do Disney "marathoners" swin in any of the Disney lakes, waterways?

11. disneyfreakjackie

disneyfreakjackie <font color="blue">The only thing better than a Di

My DD's SWEAR they saw an alligator at All-Star Music in December, one parent confirmed, but he's known to be a "story teller", so I don't know if I trust his recollection!!! I just blew it off and tried (really hard) not to think about it!!! :(

12. SonicLogic

SonicLogic Mouseketeer

Alligators can be found in all the resorts and all the WDW parks.

13. LSchrow

LSchrow <font color=green>We're eating brussel sprouts & a

this is probably the best advice for dealing with anything living (including other guests).

;) :teeth:

14. ironz

Coach...there are currently 3 triathlons scheduled at WDW this year. And yes, they will swim in the lakes...the Danskin triathlon swim is in the Seven Seas lagoon (by CR, I think), the Florida 1/2 Ironman tri will swim in Bay Lake by Fort Wilderness, and I'm not sure about the race in the fall.

The "marathon" is a running event...no swimming for those athletes, except in the pools. :)

15. gw_lit

gw_lit DIS Veteran

I just hope they don't pool hop! ;)

16. arazamataz

arazamataz Mouseketeer

Just got back from BC. Saw the gator in canal , it's about 6ft.:earseek:

17. COACHSTING

COACHSTING Mouseketeer

Thanks IRONZ....Was curious because I have seen numerous posts that indicate there is no swimming in the Seven seas or any Disney waterways because of some bacteria which is in the water there. Do the triathletes have to take special precautions?

18. mayday

mayday Earning My Ears

We talked to the Supervisor of the friendship launches last month, and he told us that any gators are immediately relocated outside the park. He seemed to indicate that this is not a common occurence, but after all it is Florida.

19. ironz

I keep seeing those posts about the bacteria, too...and while I wouldn't rule out anything like that in the lakes, I also know that race directors/Disney wouldn't put us at undue risk for an event like that. I would suppose that it's the same risk as any other lakes in the South...heaven knows, the lakes in Texas get mighty warm in the summer (which is when the bacteria are supposedly worse, according to posts I've seen). Besides...if the no swimming rule was just because of the bacteria...hmmm...are ALL the lakes in Florida closed to swimming?? Or is there a "magic" bacterium that is indigenous only to the WDW property??

I think that the "no swimming" in the WDW lakes is multi-factorial...liability being a biggie, crowd control, danger from boats/watercraft, etc. For the triathlon, we are all competent swimmers (though some much faster than others), we have insurance for these events via the national triathlon sanctioning body USAT, there will be water safety personnel on the course, and there will not be unauthorized water mice cruising about.

Is there still risk involved? Sure...I could get a bug from the water...there could be a gator...I could drown. But it's a calculated risk, just like getting in your car everyday. And it's something I do, in a race situation, 5-8 times a year, and I love it! Will send a full report after the race in May. :)

Cheers!

20. natale1980

natale1980 "When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me!"..

Hi Everyone, :wave:

There have been and I'm sure currently are alligators in Bay Lake & the Seven-Seas Lagoon... :( One Disney Boat Driver guys we talked to said that he has seen 8-footers pulled out of the lagoon to be relocated.... (maybe in the jungle cruise.. hee hee).
    And as far as the Bactria.. don't worry about it I participated in the Danskin Triathlon last year and there was no problem... LOTS of SEAWEED though... or some sort of plant life.... The water is CRAZY warm!! It's like bath water!!!
    It's funny cause I have been going to Disney since I was 5 (now 24) and We ALWAYS swam in Bay Lake!! I guess people didn't know about Bacteria back then.. hee hee
    I'm still alive so... all must be good... I'm sure they just don't want little kids splashing around and taking drinks.... ick!
    anywho... thats my two cents!
    GOOD LUCK with the triathlon!
    -nat:earsgirl:

21. *Fantasia*

*Fantasia* <font color=royalblue>Nothing beats a nice clean-c

true..true... ::yes:: :teeth: