Alligators

cinmell

DIS Veteran
Just curious. Okay, I have never given a thought to alligators at WDW and now I have read that people have seen them on the resort beaches and even one somewhere in the MK. Of all the years we have gone we have never seen one. Have you ever seen any?

Saw one in a retention pond at CBR a couple of years ago. DH says it was a log (he likes to tease me ;) ), but logs don't swim!

We told a CM at the front desk. She didn't seem surprised, only said, "Thank you" and that she'd have to notify maintenance/grounds-keeping.

We saw one on a golf course just last Jan. It wasn't bothering anyone and no one was bothering it.

We just missed one at MK in 2001. We were on the train and the engineer told us about it, but they had hauled it away just before we got back to where it was :(

Steve

We saw a huge one several years ago on a service road between the Contempoary and Fort Wilderness. Our bus actually had to stop in order to avoid it. The 'gator hissed at the bus before crawling into a canal.

I got a picture of one from July. I will try to post it later.

Steve

Husband saw one about 3 weeks ago at the golf course. Was going to go after a ball he saw and changed his mind when he saw the gator... :)

We saw a sort of small one in the shallow water at the edge the Coronado Springs lake.

While staying at SOG, it was a morning ritual to try to count how many gators we could find on our way to the monorail at the Poly. There is water on both sides of the driveway. One morning we counted 7. We had our video camera with us and my brother and I took turns doing our "Croc Hunter" impersonations for the camera. Hope they are still around after all the construction is complete.

I have pictures of one sunnig on the beach of tom sawyers island. Yes, the island in the middle of the magic kingdom. I took a picture with our new -at -that-time digital camera. I told the CM operating the keel boats who them gave me the -ya right lady look---so I showed him the digital picture--poor guy said he'd call PEST Control. Pest controll shows up and tries to shue the poor gator away. The guys end up throwing rocks at the gators who inturn retreats to the rivers of america. Pest Guys leave and low and behold gator comes back up on the beach and continues to sun. (I have video pictures of all this) I can e-mail you a picture if you'd like---just let me know. Oh' by the way the next day the gator was gone---I would think they relocated him during the off hours.

Wow, I never even thought of gators until reading these boards. I don't know why I"m so surprised that so many have seen them. I'd love to see pictures if it's not too much trouble. Thanks everyone for responding!

I've seen plenty--

the best place to be guaranteed to see one is the pond along the drive up to SoG. If you do'nt see them on the lawn, look in the water, you'll see the yellow eyes poking out at you.

I've also seen them in a few other places around the property, including back by Osprey Ridge golf course, and along World Center Drive.

Anne

You'll find gators all over property... Just like you'll find Armadillos, Turtles, Turkeys, Rabbits, Deer, Foxes, Snakes, and other various creatures of the wild. This is thier natural habitat.

Often times, Disney will let the gator be, as long as it poses no active threat to the guests. Once the gator grows to be a certain size, or starts to pose a threat to guest safety, the gator will be relocated. (However, 9 times out of 10... a few weeks later, another gator will appear... after all... this was thier natural habitat long before Disney came along)

As for the golf courses, yes, on occasion, you might see a gator in the water areas. I urge you, PLEASE, do not go near the gator. I've seen a lot of folks try and taunt the "baby gator"... however, I can tell you... they may look as if they can only waddle... but they can go pretty fast on the ground.

While staying at Coronado Springs, we saw them in the water, in front of the Pepper Market..
I would think you would see them, any where there is water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter