Allergies...I don't know how much more I can take...UGH!

kellyg403

<font color=green>She changes friends like she cha
I have had sinus issues for over a month. Taking my asthma meds and allergy meds. NOT WORKING!

My teeth even hurt my sinus are so congested. Went to doc on Tues after seeing him on friday and being put on Predisone AGAIN because I can't get straight.

Thanks for letting me whine...no one here really wants to hear me..:rotfl:

I feel like I need a 3 week stay in my bed with nowhere to go!

K

In Canada we have a Sinus product by Hyland. This works well for me when use of a Nettie pot or salt spray doesn't. The most important thing is to kill the yeast in your sinus cavities.

Good luck.

I dont get bad until Ragweed season, you know I found that the cheap stuff (store brands) seem to work better for me. Hope your teeth feel better :rotfl:

I hear ya.

Right now for allergies I am taking: Zyrtec in the AM, Allegra in the afternoon, and Benadryl at night. I am using both Zetonna and patanase nasal sprays and patanol eye drops
For asthma I am taking: symbicort 160/4.5 3x day, xoponex nebs 2x day, pulmicort nebs 2xday and xoponex inhaler as needed.

It's ridiculous right now. On top of that, we have a nasty respiratory virus going around which of course I caught earlier this week.

Have they given you antibiotics? You could have a recurring sinus infection that needs antibiotics.

my dh is having an awful time of it right now, too. so much that I finally just closed up the house, put the ac on, and tried to clean as much of the pollen out of the house that I could so he has a "safe place"

hope you are feeling better soon. definitely not fun!

I don't mind my allergies too much, as long as I can breathe. So, I have nose spray/drops that contain phenylephrine hcl. This is the main decongestant ingredient in most cold meds. CAUTION: Do NOT take this medication if you have high blood pressure, diabetes, glaucoma...ASK your doctor about it.

Otherwise, I have benedryl at night and a bit of vicks vapor rub.

I agree about checking about a sinus infection. DH uses the nettie pot/ nasal rinse. DS2 uses clear saline at night and we seem to be good in the day.

I highly recommend Neil Med Sinus Rinse. If you don't start rinsing your sinuses you will continue to be congested. You need to use distilled, filtered or previously boiled water.

Sorry to hear that :(

I read that taking a hot shower is good for congestion. It certainly made me feel a lot better.

My cat allergy is driving me nuts, but there's nothing I can do really since it was my choice to come here.

We have a filter on our furnace and air conditioner, a filter on every duct blowing air into the house, a huge air cleaner that is top rated running in my son's room, bedding gets changed twice a week and washed on hot, beds and pillows are wrapped in allergen covers and taped, no rugs-wood floors only that are damp mopped, cleaners who do the whole house weekly, much of our furniture is now leather, shoes are left at the door. My son uses an irrigation bottle three times a day with meds in it, takes Xyzal, patanol eye drops and benedryl as soon as a flare up occurs. Luckily, he does not have asthma.

Thanks all! I did go back and get an antibiotic. I feel A LOT better. We had a weather break, cooler and less muggy and I have cleared up a great deal. I haven't had any issues like this in years. Last year I had pnuemonia twice and then since April of last year, not been good since. I was in the hospital for a serious asthma attach over Christmas. No one seems to have a clue what is going on other than for some reason my asthma is out of control. I finally think I have the right meds, or the right combination.

For anyone who may know..singulair. I tried it for a few months but had such horrible headaches they were migraine like and caused vomiting and everything. Within a week of stopping it, no more headaches. Anyone had that happen to them? Did it go away? Honestly, the Singulair worked wonders. I using that Dec, Jan and Feb and that is the best I have felt in over a year. Those darn headaches though were horrible. I couldn't take it. Is there an alternative that you have used?

Kelly

Thanks all! I did go back and get an antibiotic. I feel A LOT better. We had a weather break, cooler and less muggy and I have cleared up a great deal. I haven't had any issues like this in years. Last year I had pnuemonia twice and then since April of last year, not been good since. I was in the hospital for a serious asthma attach over Christmas. No one seems to have a clue what is going on other than for some reason my asthma is out of control. I finally think I have the right meds, or the right combination.

For anyone who may know..singulair. I tried it for a few months but had such horrible headaches they were migraine like and caused vomiting and everything. Within a week of stopping it, no more headaches. Anyone had that happen to them? Did it go away? Honestly, the Singulair worked wonders. I using that Dec, Jan and Feb and that is the best I have felt in over a year. Those darn headaches though were horrible. I couldn't take it. Is there an alternative that you have used?

Kelly

Yup. Headaches are the main side effect of singular and the main reason people discontinue it. I've tried singular 3 different times and all three times had to stop because of severe headaches. I've never found anything to replace it.

I routinely end up in the hospital two or three time a year for asthma. I'm a frequent flier at the hospital and my pulmonologistS and allergists offices. But for me, we are at the end of the line for treatment unless we try allergy shots again but I went into anaphylaxis twice while doing allergy shots last year so it's not the best option. I NEED xolair but I'm too sick for it...I don't qualify.

I hear ya.

Right now for allergies I am taking: Zyrtec in the AM, Allegra in the afternoon, and Benadryl at night. I am using both Zetonna and patanase nasal sprays and patanol eye drops
For asthma I am taking: symbicort 160/4.5 3x day, xoponex nebs 2x day, pulmicort nebs 2xday and xoponex inhaler as needed.

It's ridiculous right now. On top of that, we have a nasty respiratory virus going around which of course I caught earlier this week.Have they given you antibiotics? You could have a recurring sinus infection that needs antibiotics.

I am at my wit's end and am wondering if it's allergies....dr asked if I am clearing my throat a lot and yes, I am (he said it's a drip, but I don't notice anything). I am wondering if that virus is what I have. What are the symptoms of that, if I may ask?

I am at my wit's end and am wondering if it's allergies....dr asked if I am clearing my throat a lot and yes, I am (he said it's a drip, but I don't notice anything). I am wondering if that virus is what I have. What are the symptoms of that, if I may ask?

Mine were congestion, wheezing, shortness of breath, and cough. I also had a decrease in my oxygen saturation. I don't know if it differs for someone without asthma (not sure if you have asthma or not?).

There was nothing to do but wait it out for me. My pulmonologist increased my maintenance medication dose and increased my use of my rescue inhaler.

Sorry to hear that. Right now, farmers in Mexico are doing a lot of field burning and there is a strong wind out of the south. That is wreaking havoc on many of us here in Texas. It feels a lot like allergies, but it doesn't go away. Lots of coughing and sinus congestion. I hate it.

That's doesn't describe me. Although I haven't suffered with allergies for years, I know this is the worst year in a long time, so I was wondering if it was allergies or something else. I think the doctor was confused too. :confused3
Sounds like a mess though...hope everyone feels better soon. :(

Good iuck getting any kind of *D medicine... we have to talk to the pharmacist, show id, etc. to get it here!

Good iuck getting any kind of *D medicine... we have to talk to the pharmacist, show id, etc. to get it here!

Same here. It's the same everywhere. It's really not that difficult. You show your ID, they give you a box, you sign and pay.

Thanks Disfan for the info on the singulair. My doc did say that the headaches were a side affect of the singulair also. Its funny, the stuff that works the best causes other problems. Which is the lesser of the evils? Who knows!

I only know that I want to get right and not have to take any steroids because I feel like those are the worse thing.

I have allergy testing set up for the end of June. I couldn't believe how long it took to get an appt! But then again, I look around and see that everyone seems to be coughing and hacking and wheezing! Its been a really bad year. Typically my allergies don't bother me until Aug and Sept. I have issues with ragweed, molds and mildews. Last year was the first year that I had issues starting in the early spring. I thought maybe (and the doc as well) I had picked something up and it caused the asthma/pnuemonia issues. Oddly enough, in Dec, I was not feeling a 100% while we were iin WDW, but I had a terrible attack start in SC on the way home. They were having a wildfire or something and the smoke through SC on 95 was so thick in the car even with the windows rolled up and the ac on. We got home and the next morning I had to hit the ER and ended up staying. All 4 quandrants were involved and my O2 stats wouldn't budge from about 86 during activity. Finally they sent me home on day 4 with oxygen and meds. It took about 2 weeks to finally feel better.

I hope everyone who is suffering feels better soon. I can only say it sucks! I know my quality of life at this moment is nowhere near what I would like it to be, but it IS getting better. I have never been one to take anything stronger than advil and now it seems like I am taking 7 different meds just to start my day! Hopefully some allergy shots will do the trick, at least give me an idea whats going on. I have changed my diet to the point that I basically eat rice and chicken. I just have no idea what is causing the problem.

Kelly

Yup. Headaches are the main side effect of singular and the main reason people discontinue it. I've tried singular 3 different times and all three times had to stop because of severe headaches. I've never found anything to replace it.

Wow I never knew that. Guess I am lucky then, because I have been on singular for a few years and the only side effect for me has been an extra 10 pounds that I can't get rid of.:(

Are any of you on Claritin? I take that in the morning along with a couple sniffs of flonase, and take the singular at night. My allergies are not gone, by any means, but are manageable.

Wow I never knew that. Guess I am lucky then, because I have been on singular for a few years and the only side effect for me has been an extra 10 pounds that I can't get rid of.:(

Are any of you on Claritin? I take that in the morning along with a couple sniffs of flonase, and take the singular at night. My allergies are not gone, by any means, but are manageable.

Yes, I do take the Claritin. Zyrtec worked for about 4 years for me, but for some reason lost some of the effectiveness a couple years ago.

The singular is a great med. I am hoping once I get straight a little more I can try again. I wondered if the problem was more the combo of meds rather than singular itself. I felt the best I ever have on it.

Kelly

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter