All the makings of a disaster… I’m bringing two reluctant teens and the in-laws!!

I'm pleased to report that I've changed nothing else since my report yesterday:rotfl: However, I do find myself checking reservations regularly. I do want to try to change 50's to Sci fi for a new experience for everyone else.

Also, get this...I was talking to MIL and she said something about "the lobster place" we're going for Dinner. I said "yeah, at the Grand Floridian", she said "no, I thought it was captain something" WHAT!!!!! She apparently does not remember the meal at Narcoossee's, but remembers that we had lobster at Captain Jacks (right before they did away with the twin tails):faint:.

So, apparently Narcoossees was not her pick!! She said if there wasn't Lobster, she doesnt want to go to Captain Jacks (thank GOD), and doesn't care if we go to Narcoossees since she doesn't remember it anyway. Since I ended up cancelling Ohana for the Saturday night, to put in Cape May, I am going to look for Ohana for Monday the 24th. I'm hoping there will be some last minute cancellations, now that there's the cancellation fee, if not, Narcoossees is fine, I do enjoy it there, but I keep feeling like somethings missing without Ohana (even though I do have a breakfast there). If I do get Ohana, I'll add Biergarten back into Sunday, since Narcoossees is two credits.

So, currently, I have the following reservations:

Sunday, none, might add Biergarten
Monday, Narcoossees, might change to Ohana
Tuesday, Boma dinner
Wednesday, Crystal palace breakfast, Whispering Canyon dinner(boy would I love to replace this with Ohana)
Thursday, Coral reef lunch
Friday, 50's primetime lunch, might change to Sci Fi
Saturday, Cape May dinner
Sunday, Ohana breakfast

I faxed over a room request today, just for a ground floor, not too far from food court. I have a standard room booked, so I'm not expecting much, but don't want to be at the farthest point, especially with the old folks. Part of me just wants to call and change to Royal rooms, but the $600 (for two rooms) prevents this.

This day has us up at 5:15 so we can get to the bus stop by 5:45 for the 5k Halloween race. The race starts at 7. I think we'll be quite tired after the halloween party, but neither of these events were movable. MIL/FIL want to come spectate, DS14 wants to sleep.

After the race,we'll head back to POR to shower/change, wake up the lazy kid, and head out to Animal kingdom. I'm guessing we should be there around 10-10:30. There are early EMH here, so we're a bit behind, but I can't imagine it will be all that crowded anyways. Kids will want to do Expedition everest, so we'll get some fastpasses, we'll wait for the Safari, do dinosaur, some walking trails, I'll have to check times for Lion King. This wasn't initially on my radar, but since it's getting cancelled in a few months, I feel like I should see it.

We'll probably eat at Flame tree, then head out. I'm thinking DH will be ready for a nap (I probably will be too), maybe some pool time. Kids can head out to Blizzard beach (I think the bus from Animal kingdom usually goes right there).

We'll head out around 5:15 for dinner at Cape May. I have a 6:40 res. After dinner, we can either head over to DTD, or even stay for Jellyrolls

.I was talking to MIL and she said something about "the lobster place" we're going for Dinner. I said "yeah, at the Grand Floridian", she said "no, I thought it was captain something" WHAT!!!!! She apparently does not remember the meal at Narcoossee's, but remembers that we had lobster at Captain Jacks (right before they did away with the twin tails):faint:.

So, apparently Narcoossees was not her pick!!

:rotfl:

Sounds like communicating with your MIL is like communicating with my hubby. He's been telling me for months we should have "that orange chicken stuff that you had eldest son make when you were sick that one time." I did eventually figure out what he meant and I was right, but for a long time I hadn't a clue -- hard to remember, six months later, a meal I didn't have!

:rotfl:

Sounds like communicating with your MIL is like communicating with my hubby. He's been telling me for months we should have "that orange chicken stuff that you had eldest son make when you were sick that one time." I did eventually figure out what he meant and I was right, but for a long time I hadn't a clue -- hard to remember, six months later, a meal I didn't have!

Sometimes they just kill me. Earlier this week, she called all her kids in town (there's three of them), to ask everyone to check their attics for her suitcase since it wasn't in her attic. She described it in detail right down to the colored ribbon she had tied on it. I never did look for it, since I was certain I didn't have it, but poor SIL did, then two days later MIL called to tell us it was in her attic, right in front and she doesn't know how she missed it:rotfl2:.

This is our departure day, but our flight isn't until 7p, so we have a nice chunk of the day to do whatever.

The plan right now is to have breakfast at Ohana at 9:40, then visit whatever park they want to do again. We'll finish up our CS credits for a later lunch then we'll leave parks by 3p, so we can catch ME around 4p.

We are flying airtran home (except DH, he's flying United since he has to go to his meeting in the UK). I've never flown them before, but they had a late flight and were reasonably priced.

We land around 9:30, then the drive from philly, we should be home around 11/11:30ish, makes me sad just thinking about getting home:( I took the next day off from work so I could food shop/do laundry, etc. The kids have to get up for school though, so I will still need to get up early to make sure they get out the door:crazy2:. (maybe I'll go back to sleep when the leave:scratchin)

It seems surreal that my trip is in two days:cool1:

I have that subdued feeling that somethings going to go wrong, or I'm going to forget something. Doesn't help that I woke up sick yesterday and it's still there. Just feels like a headcold, but I need it to to just go away. I'm getting out of work early today so I can head to target to get some last minute stuff, then I'm hoping to get a nap before I have to do some more packing.

I did most of the packing for my stuff on Tuesday afternoon, including toiletries, and all the necessities except everyone else's clothes. Today I will pack the kids clothes. Hopefully DH will pack his stuff tonight. I've got lists everywhere reminding me to do stuff. Next I'll have to do the lists for DH before he leaves, like feed all the pets, make sure DS14's football uniform gets washed after his game on Monday, or that will smell real nice upon our return, wash coffee pot.

Today I also have to do the dreaded call to the school. Not looking forward to thatpopcorn::.

My nephew came over yesterday for his brief orientation and was extremely excited to see that we have HBO/Showtime now. He's planning on catching up with a couple of the series on the HBO on demand, which makes me feel good that he will be there for lengthy amounts of time, rather than just a stop in to let the dog out and feed him. Our dog gets separation anxiety and can be a real Pain the butt(making messes, having accidents,etc:sad2:), so if he has company, everyone will be happier.

Tomorrow I'm planning to clean the house and get my nails done. And I have my phone alarm set so I remember to do my southwest check in.

I haven't changed any of the reservations, but I've been really trying for Ohana dinner. If I can get that, then in-laws won't be short any credits. I did see one for 6:30, but it wouldn't give us time to get back to the park for the 8pm parade, which is more important at the moment since it's the only opportunity we'll have to see it. Like I said, I don't have a problem with Narcoossees, in fact I enjoy it very much, it's just that it's two credits and I enjoy Ohana's just as much and it's only one.

I think I will feel much more excited once we land in Orlando, I'm expecting all the preflight stuff to be a PITA with FIL being all worried and stressed.

I have downloaded Snowwhite and the huntsman on my Ipad to watch during the flight, I'm hoping to sit with strangers so I can actually watch it. FIL will interrogate me the whole flight about plans and rides if I'm with him, not that I don't think it's cute, cause it is, but I will want to just relax and not have to think, sometimes he makes my head hurt. I specifically remember this from our last trip.

Hmmm, it appears that FIL has himself so worked up this week, he is now sick! This happens everytime MIL goes somewhere without him, so the solution is that she doesn't go anywhere or he goes with her:confused3. So I thought we were clear here.

He apparently hasn't gotten off the couch since yesterday morning and is going to the Doctor today. He made a comment to me on the phone about how he's not getting on the plane throwing up all over the place, when I asked if he's been throwing up he said no.

I told MIL that if he doesn't feel better by 11am tomorrow to let me know and I can book him(or both of them) on the flight with DH and boys on Tuesday. Since we're flying southwest on the way there, there isn't any cost unless the flight is higher, which it's actually much cheaper to fly Tuesday night.

How awesome that you're down to TWO DAYS!!! :banana:

I hope everyone is feeling better very soon! How did the phone call to the school go?

How awesome that you're down to TWO DAYS!!! :banana:

I hope everyone is feeling better very soon! How did the phone call to the school go?

They were fine until they asked for the reason why, when I said vacation, I just got an Oookaaay:rolleyes2. It's only 2 days, so I don't think it's such a big deal.

I love this thread. I know exactly what you mean about teenagers (have 2 myself). DH likes WDW, but is not obsessed with it like me. I think it's a good idea to change your FIL's flight to later, so he can recover. It's no fun to be sick on vacation and a few days will make a big difference. I hope that won't mess up your FD check-in (I guess not). I hope you have a fabulous time and now I'm nore than a little envious. My DD and DS are going to WDW next weekend for 2 days just for the MNSSHP (my DD cannot get off school for any longer) and I am staying home for the first time while they go. I hope you have a magical time!pixiedust:

I love this thread. I know exactly what you mean about teenagers (have 2 myself). DH likes WDW, but is not obsessed with it like me. I think it's a good idea to change your FIL's flight to later, so he can recover. It's no fun to be sick on vacation and a few days will make a big difference. I hope that won't mess up your FD check-in (I guess not). I hope you have a fabulous time and now I'm nore than a little envious. My DD and DS are going to WDW next weekend for 2 days just for the MNSSHP (my DD cannot get off school for any longer) and I am staying home for the first time while they go. I hope you have a magical time!pixiedust:

Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

If mil comes with me, I won't need to change anything except his flight, but she'll probably want to stay with him, then I'll just move their checkin date to Tuesday. She,ll probably have to pay a change fee, but it shouldn't affect her free dining, I think. It definitely won't affect mine, since I'm going with or without them::yes::

Just spoke with MIL and it looks like they are going to come with me tomorrow. FIL went to the Dr. and got some antibiotics and should be feeling better in 24hrs. He will just loaf by the pool or nap when he needs it.

Glad that's over;)

Now MIL is complaining she doesn't have room in her suitcases. I have to go over there in a bit because I suspect she isn't utilizing the carryons, just two big suitcases.

I just woke up myself since my headcold is still in full force. I'll pop some dayquil and get cleaning. Packing is pretty much done except for some last minute items. But since my nephew is staying here, I want to clean the bathroom and vaccuum, etc (in hopes of it staying clean til Tuesday when Dh comes).

Well, this is probably it, unless something important happens today!!!!

One more sleep til Disney!!!:cool1::cool1:

:wave2:

Can't wait to read all about your trip. I'll be leaving for our WDW/DCL trip as you are coming home from yours, so I probably won't catch up with you until mid-Oct.

Anyway, have a fabulous time...:dance3:

:wave2:

Can't wait to read all about your trip. I'll be leaving for our WDW/DCL trip as you are coming home from yours, so I probably won't catch up with you until mid-Oct.

Anyway, have a fabulous time...:dance3:

(killing a few minutes while waiting for my SW online checkin to approach)

Thanks Jenny! I'm jealous that you're getting a DCL trip in there too, relaxing on a cruise ship sounds great right about now! Hope you have a wonderful time and I'll catch up with you then!

Oh, man! I missed saying good-bye. Didn't realize it was coming up so fast. :blush: Hope you have a great time! :wave2:

They were fine until they asked for the reason why, when I said vacation, I just got an Oookaaay

Hey, at least you were honest. They should appreciate that part. :p I can't see getting wound up about two days, assuming your boys are doing okay in school (which IIRC, they are).

We came home Sunday night. Sadly, this trip was just ok, and I was actually ready to come home when Sunday rolled around:scared:. That has not happened in any of my previous three trips. There were some great times, but this trip was definitely more mentally exhausting and more high maintenance than previous trips, between the in-laws and DH.

I'll get into details once I start my actual trip report. Day one should kick it off pretty well. I'm hoping to get to work on my photos later this week and maybe get day one out of the way this weekend.

The highlight of my trip was having photopass. I had such a great time getting pictures taken with characters and scouting out the magic shots. I'm going to log onto there maybe tonight and start messing around with that cause I really want to put some of those in my TR.

I started out great with my cupcake quest, but once Dh got there, he's all about eating healthy and "how can you be hungry already", so it put a damper on the quest. I did get some other snacks that were noteworthy, and I suppose I could have had cupcakes then, but these other snacks won out.

Welcome back! :flower3:

Sorry to hear you had only an ok time. I can identify! :p Look forward to hearing all the details, seeing the photos, and reading about all the wonderful snacks you ate!

popcorn::

this trip was definitely more mentally exhausting and more high maintenance than previous trips, between the in-laws and DH.

Sorry it was just okay. :sad1: But, considering how you titled the thread, I think you went in knowing the risks. ;) We invited my parents along this next time, and they turned us down; sometimes that makes me sad, sometimes I think we dodged a bullet. :p I hope next time you will have figured out some strategies to cope with whatever challenges your DH presents. :)

I did get some other snacks that were noteworthy, and I suppose I could have had cupcakes then, but these other snacks won out.

:thumbsup2

Cupcake quests are all well and good, but decadence is decadence in my book, and sometimes you're just not in the mood for cupcakes (or you're more in the mood for something else!). And I confess I can't imagine being on a cupcake quest with your hubby about. Even by Disney standards, that frosting and those fillings make cupcakes look worse than anything -- although in terms of actual ingredients, I suspect they're on par with some Disney desserts that look far more innocuous! :upsidedow

Welcome back! :flower3:

Sorry to hear you had only an ok time. I can identify! :p Look forward to hearing all the details, seeing the photos, and reading about all the wonderful snacks you ate!

popcorn::
Thanks, I can't say mine was on-par with your trip, as I know you had a really rough time. I have started to work with the photos last night, and should get something up later this week:thumbsup2

Sorry it was just okay. :sad1: But, considering how you titled the thread, I think you went in knowing the risks. ;) We invited my parents along this next time, and they turned us down; sometimes that makes me sad, sometimes I think we dodged a bullet. :p I hope next time you will have figured out some strategies to cope with whatever challenges your DH presents. :)

:thumbsup2

Cupcake quests are all well and good, but decadence is decadence in my book, and sometimes you're just not in the mood for cupcakes (or you're more in the mood for something else!). And I confess I can't imagine being on a cupcake quest with your hubby about. Even by Disney standards, that frosting and those fillings make cupcakes look worse than anything -- although in terms of actual ingredients, I suspect they're on par with some Disney desserts that look far more innocuous! :upsidedow

Yeah, I suppose the title was an omen. But not in the way most would think. They weren't like the typical in-law stories. It was more because they are aging(mentally, physically they were really good). It was comical at times, annoying at other times, and sometimes sad because it became obvious how much they've aged since our last trip. They were forgetful, clueless, and lost quite a bit and it was kind of like babysitting. I guess it's not as noticable when we see them day to day in their normal comfortable environment.

Yeah, hubby is like the food police. If I happened upon a cupcake, I don't think he would have made much of an issue, but for me to actually seek one out and drag everyone with me probably would have raised an eyebrow:confused3.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter