All New Atlantic Canada Thread....

Choices are very limited for flights in the Atlantic Provinces. Unless you drive for miles, you will pay high prices. Even for us, it's no big difference to drive to Portland or Halifax, it's pretty much the same driving distance.

Choices are very limited for flights in the Atlantic Provinces. Unless you drive for miles, you will pay high prices. Even for us, it's no big difference to drive to Portland or Halifax, it's pretty much the same driving distance.

Tell me about it! I drive to Manchester or Portland almost every time we travel

Ted

Tell me about it! I drive to Manchester or Portland almost every time we travel

Ted

I'm in PEI. To Halifax it is around 3 hours. To Portland, it would be around 9 hours. In the summer, it's okay, but during the one week I get off in March, that's 2 full days of driving, which would probably leave me about 5-6 days. Then, of course, weather is a factor! I'd rather fly out of here anyways, since I live about 3 minutes from the airport! But the prices are not fun.

Leaving tonight for Disney from Saint John. First time driving from here. Have driven many times when we lived in Ontario. Going to drive through the night tonight and spend two days in Washington then one night at Hilton Head then OKW till Aug 31st.:cool1:
Going to try to keep track of gas prices along the way. Driving down in a Honda Fit. WAY cheaper to fill than our Jeep but a much smaller tank. Lucky to be staying with family in Washington and DVC in HH. So no $$ spent on accomidations.:thumbsup2

Ugh! When are we going to start to see half decent airfare for March 2013? Sooo hoping SW or Airtran will have something better than what's out there now when they release end of Aug. I hate playing this game :(

I hear that! We are also going in March (2nd to 9th is March Break here in NB). Looking like the cheapest option will be JetBlue or AirTran out of Portland. There will be 6 of us going down on the 2nd, one flying back into Bangor on the 7th (my sister can't take a whole week off work) and the rest of us back into PWM on the 9th.

At least the accommodations worked out like we planned. 3 nights at AKV Kidani Village in a 2-bedroom savanna view and 4 nights at BLT in a 2-bedroom theme park view.

John

I hear that! We are also going in March (2nd to 9th is March Break here in NB). Looking like the cheapest option will be JetBlue or AirTran out of Portland. There will be 6 of us going down on the 2nd, one flying back into Bangor on the 7th (my sister can't take a whole week off work) and the rest of us back into PWM on the 9th.

At least the accommodations worked out like we planned. 3 nights at AKV Kidani Village in a 2-bedroom savanna view and 4 nights at BLT in a 2-bedroom theme park view.

John

We got great SW flights from Manchester for March 1st-8th. Further than Portland but we usually drive to Boston to fly anyway, so we're used to the journey. Less than $250 return each. And great flight times. Just another option for you to look at :goodvibes

We got great SW flights from Manchester for March 1st-8th. Further than Portland but we usually drive to Boston to fly anyway, so we're used to the journey. Less than $250 return each. And great flight times. Just another option for you to look at :goodvibes

I would be worried about the drive in March. It seems so far to have to worry about snow! (Of course I'm from PEI, so I have that much farther to go.)

I would be worried about the drive in March. It seems so far to have to worry about snow! (Of course I'm from PEI, so I have that much farther to go.)

I hear you! :goodvibes
I lose so much sleep about snow cancelling flights!

We have often done the trip during March break. As far as snow our thinking has always been that if we make it to Boston, there will be much more choice of other flights if ours is cancelled! A smaller airport doesn't have alternatives, which is why we've never done Allegiant from Bangor during the Winter.

In theory it doesn't matter too much if you miss a day or so of your vacation but if a cruise is involved you have to get there!
This March i'd even planned out how to drive from Boston all the way, incase bad weather cancelled flights! There was no way I was going to miss the boat!:beach:

Although we're at the smaller manchester airport next March I know we're close to Boston or NY if we really need to make other plans!:goodvibes

And we always get insurance!

I hear you! :goodvibes
I lose so much sleep about snow cancelling flights!

We have often done the trip during March break. As far as snow our thinking has always been that if we make it to Boston, there will be much more choice of other flights if ours is cancelled! A smaller airport doesn't have alternatives, which is why we've never done Allegiant from Bangor during the Winter.

In theory it doesn't matter too much if you miss a day or so of your vacation but if a cruise is involved you have to get there!
This March i'd even planned out how to drive from Boston all the way, incase bad weather cancelled flights! There was no way I was going to miss the boat!:beach:

Although we're at the smaller manchester airport next March I know we're close to Boston or NY if we really need to make other plans!:goodvibes

And we always get insurance!

Sounds like you've got yourself covered! Good for you. Even driving to Halifax in winter worries me. I had a flight cancelled out of Halifax, so it's been there, done that kind of thing. I'd even driven over the night before to make sure I was at least in NS. One night in a hotel, next night, we couldn't get a room because of all the cancellations, so we spent the night at the airport. Lots of fun!

Have an amazing time on your cruise!

Where are you parking at MHT?

Just booked our tickets for Nov 29-Dec8 on Delta...$983 return for the two of us. Been watching several times a day for weeks but no big price changes. United and Delta ended up being within a dollar of each other but Delta's flight times were a lot more reasonable so I pulled the trigger. That's a little more then we paid two years ago but it was a price I could live with.

Just booked our tickets for Nov 29-Dec8 on Delta...$983 return for the two of us. Been watching several times a day for weeks but no big price changes. United and Delta ended up being within a dollar of each other but Delta's flight times were a lot more reasonable so I pulled the trigger. That's a little more then we paid two years ago but it was a price I could live with.

Yay! AND you get to be there during the Fantasyland expansion opening! Quite jealous. I wish I could go...

Booked our flight on March 2 on Delta from Portland. We are flying in to Melbourne instead of MCO for our cruise. We decided to book this as one way flights. Price was 206 each.

From watching the flights, it is working out cheaper to buy these separately!

Ted in Halifax said:
Where are you parking at MHT?

Hadn't actually booked that yet! When we looked briefly all the hotels and even onsite parking was so much cheaper than Boston were just happy with that! I need to make all our hotels etc but waiting til the kids go back and I can grab a quiet hour! Any opinions on places to stay, maybe hotel park and fly, always gratefully accepted!

I've used both Springhill Suites (2 times) and Holiday Inn Express South Porter Street. For me, it boils down to price. I will see what I can find you. How long do you need to park?

Just purchased out tickets! :cool1: Not overly thrilled with the price but it's the dates we want and the times we want.

Saturday March 9th
Depart MANCHESTER NH (MHT) at 07:25 AM
Arrive in FT LAUDERDALE FL (FLL) at 10:40 AM

Monday March 25th
Depart Orlando, FL (MC) at 7:10 AM
Arrive in Manchester NH (MHT) at 10:05 AM

Direct flights with Southwest and gives us lots of time to drive home $350 per person return. Air Tran's prices are so much better on the search engines but directly on their site they are over $500 each way! Oh well...I'm less stressed now...:rotfl:

Raindowmist:

Direct flights with no bag fees! I think the $350 is okay, lets face it, things are crazy this year for pricing. Usually, a connecting flight with bag fees runs $281 lately. That costs out to $331 assuming one bag each way.

In terms of where to stay at MHT, since you leave early, then I would overnight near MHT. I've used springhill suites and the HI express. I see that via trinity reservations, I get:

HI Express, MHT
Airport Shuttle Hours: Free roundtrip airport shuttle from 4:30am to 11pm
Parking Included: Free 14 days of parking with this package
Additional parking: $10 per day after the 14 days included in this package
Accomodations: One standard over night sleeping room
Breakfast: Free breakfast is included with our package.
Package rate: Friday to Sunday(March)
$ 98.00 inclusive of tax.
Good for up to 4 people per room (final cost, no added fees)

For Springhill Suites via Marriott.com ... they handle 6 people per room and is very close to the airport.

Friday, March 8, 2013 to Saturday, March 9, 2013
Number of rooms: 1
Guests per room: 5
Suite, 2 Double, Sofabed

Park Here Fly There Package, breakfast, airport transportation, see Rate Rules
Maximum 14 days of free parking, any additional days over the maximum 14 days of free parking will be at a charge of 10.00 dollars per day.
1 night at 139.00 USD per night
Total for stay
(including estimated taxes):
151.51 (USD)

I've used both Springhill Suites (2 times) and Holiday Inn Express South Porter Street. For me, it boils down to price. I will see what I can find you. How long do you need to park?

Raindowmist:

Direct flights with no bag fees! I think the $350 is okay, lets face it, things are crazy this year for pricing. Usually, a connecting flight with bag fees runs $281 lately. That costs out to $331 assuming one bag each way.

In terms of where to stay at MHT, since you leave early, then I would overnight near MHT. I've used springhill suites and the HI express. I see that via trinity reservations, I get:

HI Express, MHT
Airport Shuttle Hours: Free roundtrip airport shuttle from 4:30am to 11pm
Parking Included: Free 14 days of parking with this package
Additional parking: $10 per day after the 14 days included in this package
Accomodations: One standard over night sleeping room
Breakfast: Free breakfast is included with our package.
Package rate: Friday to Sunday(March)
$ 98.00 inclusive of tax.
Good for up to 4 people per room (final cost, no added fees)

For Springhill Suites via Marriott.com ... they handle 6 people per room and is very close to the airport.

Friday, March 8, 2013 to Saturday, March 9, 2013
Number of rooms: 1
Guests per room: 5
Suite, 2 Double, Sofabed

Park Here Fly There Package, breakfast, airport transportation, see Rate Rules
Maximum 14 days of free parking, any additional days over the maximum 14 days of free parking will be at a charge of 10.00 dollars per day.
1 night at 139.00 USD per night
Total for stay
(including estimated taxes):
151.51 (USD)

Thanks again!

Just purchased out tickets! :cool1: Not overly thrilled with the price but it's the dates we want and the times we want.

Saturday March 9th
Depart MANCHESTER NH (MHT) at 07:25 AM
Arrive in FT LAUDERDALE FL (FLL) at 10:40 AM

Monday March 25th
Depart Orlando, FL (MC) at 7:10 AM
Arrive in Manchester NH (MHT) at 10:05 AM

Direct flights with Southwest and gives us lots of time to drive home $350 per person return. Air Tran's prices are so much better on the search engines but directly on their site they are over $500 each way! Oh well...I'm less stressed now...:rotfl:

Congratulations! And welcome to the MHT club! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter