All about the Autotrain

I don't remember actually 'selecting" upper or lower. I thought they were assigned at the station. I could be wrong as it has been a few years.
Also if the train is crowded and you have 5 people (like us) someone will sit next to a stranger, so I usually get the pleasure..

Yes, you can choose upper or lower.

Perhaps another reason to choose upper is that there is more space and you may not have to sit next to a stranger if more people are choosing the lower level to avoid each other!:rotfl2:

It lets me choose either option when I do a mockbooking online :confused3

Yes, you can choose either. At check-in, you may want to also ask if your 5th person is seated next to a stranger or not. If there is room enough on the upper level to be spread out, I would do that instead. It's an awful long trip to be sleeping/sitting next to a stranger. just my 2 cents.

Woo-Hoo! Talked dh into the AT and AAA! Bought the $49 membership from AAA then saved 10% with Amtrak($34)! Then when when book our room for the drive down to FL I will use AAA again and I will have already gotten our $'s worth out of it!
Booked the AT to go home on 10/28!

Yay!! Definitely check out all the benefits of AAA. At our local outlet, we can get their coupon book for free, some stores offer a 10% discount, etc.

I'm glad you are booking it. I hope you enjoy it. My best advice is to pack lightly, get to the lounge car immediately upon finding your seat (or even send someone to the lounge to hold your spot while the rest go to get the seats), enjoy the movie in the lounge car too. Pay attn to the movie start time when picking your dinner time. Most families and older people eat at the first dinner seating. Bring $1 bills to tip the dining staff (and your car steward if you so choose, but it's not required). Have toys/surprises to give your kids throughout your trip and also while waiting for your vehicle.

There are a lot of onsite food and purchase discount offer the AAA card by habit so you don't forget.

:thumbsup2

I read on the web site that you should shut off the alarm on your car or you may have a dead battery. Not sure how to do this! Is this a must?
Does everyone do this!

Wow, I never heard that and we never do that either. Our SUV has always been good.

:( Well I did some checking yesterday on the room rates for our trip...and while just last week the Superliner Bedrooms and Roomettes were listed at their LOWEST price...yesterday it showed Superliner Bedrooms as SOLD OUT and Roomettes were up to $398 each! :scared1:

So it looks like we'll be doing our travel via lower level coach after all! :)

Hopefully it will go well! :confused3

EDITED: Ok I just checked again...and I must have accidentally selected SANFORD to LORTON yesterday. Those are sold out and really expensive, which makes PERFECT SENSE to me with Snowbirds heading North. The Lorton to Sanford rooms are still at their lowest and available. So we just might end up doing that upgrade...we shall see!

I hope this isn't a silly question, but I was wondering does anyone know if i will be able to get wifi on the train? I know that while in the car driving in my local area my kindle fire is able to connect to wifi with my optimum password or through hot spots, but Im not sure if this would be everywhere or just in my area. Does anyone know? TIA :)

I hope this isn't a silly question, but I was wondering does anyone know if i will be able to get wifi on the train? I know that while in the car driving in my local area my kindle fire is able to connect to wifi with my optimum password or through hot spots, but Im not sure if this would be everywhere or just in my area. Does anyone know? TIA :)

No Wifi on train. We tether our smartphone.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conte...e=am/Layout&p=1237405732517&cid=1246044710778

Can someone please post a link to the hotel close to the station in VA?

Is there a walmart or target near the station.

DF's family is planning a family trip summer 2013. They all refuse to fly and I refuse to drive down.

The next option was regular Amtrak out of NYC and Newark then rent vans when we get there. I got to thinking why not just drive to VA and hop on the auto train?

That idea went over well, so I'm trying to gather as much info as I can.

I've traveled with Amtrak all my life,but this will be my first auto train experience.

DF's family is planning a family trip summer 2013. They all refuse to fly and I refuse to drive down.

The next option was regular Amtrak out of NYC and Newark then rent vans when we get there. I got to thinking why not just drive to VA and hop on the auto train?

I've traveled with Amtrak all my life,but this will be my first auto train experience.

I have stayed there.About 2 blocks from station. Good value & free breakfast.
There is a shopping center across the street from the station. I remember it had a large grocery store and several other stores but not a target or Walmart.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...mfort_Inn_Gunston_Corner-Lorton_Virginia.html

Also try www.travelweather.weebly.com for more auto-train information.

I live about 1 mile from the Lorton Auto Train station (as the crow flies; two miles driving).

The nearest motel is the Comfort Inn at Lorton http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-lorton-virginia-VA296 This is the only motel thats really close. If you are driving south on I-95 from the Beltway, the next nearest motels are in Springfield about 4 miles before you reach the Auto Train exit, and the Woodbridge/Dale City/Potomac Mills area, about 4 miles past the Auto Train exit.

Directly across the street from the Comfort Inn is a barber shop, a gas station, a Burger King, and smaller Chinese and Italian restaurants.

After getting off I-95, when you are on Lorton Road and driving towards the Auto Train station, if you drive about 100 feet past the entrance as NJBill mentioned there is a larger shopping center with a Shoppers grocery store, a Caribou Coffee, a Glory Days Grill, a sushi restaurant and some other shops.

The nearest Wal Mart and Target are both at the Woodbridge/Dale City/Potomac Mills area I mentioned earlier. Potomac Mills is a huge outlet Mall, and yes, there is a Disney Store there. http://www.simon.com/mall/default.aspx?id=1260

As close as I live to the AT, I just took my first trip on it last fall. I'm using it again for my next trip. It might take longer than flying and cost a bit more, but it is so much easier, and the train trip felt like an adventure. I'm really looking forward to my next trip.

I live about 1 mile from the Lorton Auto Train station (as the crow flies; two miles driving).

The nearest motel is the Comfort Inn at Lorton http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-lorton-virginia-VA296 This is the only motel thats really close. If you are driving south on I-95 from the Beltway, the next nearest motels are in Springfield about 4 miles before you reach the Auto Train exit, and the Woodbridge/Dale City/Potomac Mills area, about 4 miles past the Auto Train exit.

Directly across the street from the Comfort Inn is a barber shop, a gas station, a Burger King, and smaller Chinese and Italian restaurants.

After getting off I-95, when you are on Lorton Road and driving towards the Auto Train station, if you drive about 100 feet past the entrance as NJBill mentioned there is a larger shopping center with a Shoppers grocery store, a Caribou Coffee, a Glory Days Grill, a sushi restaurant and some other shops.

The nearest Wal Mart and Target are both at the Woodbridge/Dale City/Potomac Mills area I mentioned earlier. Potomac Mills is a huge outlet Mall, and yes, there is a Disney Store there. http://www.simon.com/mall/default.aspx?id=1260

As close as I live to the AT, I just took my first trip on it last fall. I'm using it again for my next trip. It might take longer than flying and cost a bit more, but it is so much easier, and the train trip felt like an adventure. I'm really looking forward to my next trip.

The pizza at the Italian restaurant was pretty good, as was the Chinese Food on our last visit.

I have stayed there.About 2 blocks from station. Good value & free breakfast.
There is a shopping center across the street from the station. I remember it had a large grocery store and several other stores but not a target or Walmart.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...mfort_Inn_Gunston_Corner-Lorton_Virginia.html

Also try www.travelweather.weebly.com for more auto-train information.

These are room photos of the Autotrain, our trip last Fall. I don't have any of the coach seats, and forgot to take any of the dinning car or leisure car????

All-a-board

lblallaboard.jpg

Refreshment area

lblrefreshmentarea.jpg

Stairs to lower car, great shower and bath areas not as cramped as room for a shower.

lblstairsdwn.jpg

Roomette left side looking into the room

lbllftsideroomette.jpg

Roomette right side

lblroometteright.jpg

Roomette with bed lower

lblroomettelowerd.jpg

Delux bedroom will sleep 3 near dbl bed size, dh and I fiton lower with teen dd in upper bed

lblroomempty.jpg

Delux bedroom

lbldelxempty.jpg

lblbedscloset.jpg

Paked with all our stuff, the chair, storage above. There is a mirror which was the room between my sons room and ours.

lblinteriorfromdoor.jpg

Dinning car, courtsy of Pass Porter email

21_Dining_Car_Made_Up_For_Dinner.JPG

Looking at these pictures I don't see many windows on the lower level, are all the train cars like that?

Looking at these pictures I don't see many windows on the lower level, are all the train cars like that?

These are upper level, except not sure where this dinning car is. The walking hall of the train is all windows, your room has a large window maybe 5 ft wide two about 30" curtains. The train car lower level is not carrying people under us, therewere showers and a bathroom. So I guess couch cars are different.

The train is about 3/4 mile long. Maybe I can find one as we round the curve. Then you can see. Many other cars. Or, check the website.

Our trip dates have changed and the only plus side I can find is that it looks like Autotrain is in the budget again :goodvibes. My 4 year old is soooo excited. The only other option was going to be driving which would be cheaper but not more fun. I'm probably going to have a million questions but my first couple are, are the seats big enough in coach that we could fit an adult, an average size 4 year old and an average size 2 year in 2 side by side seats? I know I'm going to have to pay for 3 seats but I have a feeling both girls will want to stick very close to me. Secondly how often does the train arrive in FL late? We will be picking up some family members at the airport and want to try to time it so no one is waiting for very long.

Our trip dates have changed and the only plus side I can find is that it looks like Autotrain is in the budget again :goodvibes. My 4 year old is soooo excited. The only other option was going to be driving which would be cheaper but not more fun. I'm probably going to have a million questions but my first couple are, are the seats big enough in coach that we could fit an adult, an average size 4 year old and an average size 2 year in 2 side by side seats? I know I'm going to have to pay for 3 seats but I have a feeling both girls will want to stick very close to me. Secondly how often does the train arrive in FL late? We will be picking up some family members at the airport and want to try to time it so no one is waiting for very long.

Yay!! for getting to do the train!!

yeah, you can probably squish both kids into one seat. And since you'd have to buy 3 seats anyway, if it doesn't work out then you still have the 3rd seat to use.

I suggest that you get 2 seats next to each other and then the 3rd seat across the aisle. That way everyone can see each other and the girls can have the 2 seats together and you can just be 2 feet away from them.

In the 5-6 times we've taken the train, we have never been early to Sanford, but almost always early to Lorton (go figure!!). Mostly it seems we are late to Sanford...somewhere between 20 minutes and an hour. But remember, you still have to wait another "undetermined" time to get your car. If you're one of the first, you can have in 15 minutes...if it's crowded and you're one of the last, it'll be over an hour wait before you can leave.

So for those folks who are being picked up at the airport (Sanford or MCO?), just tell them to have a good book to read...It'll be minimum an hour wait but probably longer.

:) Well I was doing my daily checking on Amtrak yesterday and noticed the Oversized Vehicle cost had jumped up to one-tier higher. It's $50 more but it started to concern me if there are more oversized vehicles, it may mean more families and they may eventually book rooms too. I was so concerned that our room cost might go up that I decided to just pull the trigger...and upgrade us! :wave2:

I must say that calling Amtrak has NEVER been a quick experience but that's okay. Since I was booking 2 roomettes for five people, I could not do that online. I've had my issues and always get them resolved. There was NO issue with me putting two kids and one adult in the roomette, though the phone agent said he HAD to inform me about the size. I told him I was VERY familiar with the size, that I've stayed in the rooms before. :) I also stressed to my in-laws not only about the size of the roomette but the climb to the top. It's not for the weak, so hopefully they will be okay with it. :thumbsup2

In any case, I did find that when all was said and done, despite the long wait, I did NOT get charged extra for the vehicle. It was the same price as I had booked it originally, and not the $50 more that it was online...so that was nice. He did warn me ahead of time that I'd lose out on the special $25 kid fare, but considering I also got to apply my AAA discount to all of us, it only cost me an extra $37 for the rail fare in the end. :)

And now I don't have to check the Amtrak sight EVERY DAY any longer to make sure the rates don't increase on the rooms. It's done and we will be getting roomettes for our trip! :goodvibes

Secondly how often does the train arrive in FL late? We will be picking up some family members at the airport and want to try to time it so no one is waiting for very long.

I've been tracking (mostly) since Jan 13.
In that time, it has been late 33 times, and early 75 (never "on-time").

Mostly around an hour, but in one extreme case, it was almost 6 hours.

DW thinks I'm crazy tracking the arrivals and departures.

Over the last 12 months that Autotrain has had an 80% on time rate going to Florida, and an 86% on time rate coming back. Worst case over the past month was 101 minutes late but there were also times when it arrived up to 116 minutes early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter