All about the Autotrain

We've reserved a 'roomette' on the AutoTrain. Will we be able to put an airplane size 'carry on' piece of luggage in the closet? Should we use something smaller for our essentials?

If it's an under the seat size no problem. Larger than that you might have an issue fitting it in.

Does anyone know if all minivans are considered oversized vehicles? We have a Chevy Venture and I have a feeling I would measure wrong if I tried.
Yikes, I didn't think minivans were considered oversize! I have a Town and Country base model, the smaller size. Wonder if it is oversized?
CRUD< I just looked here http://www.allpar.com/model/m/specs-2005.html and it says it's 200 inches in length which would be oversized per Amtrak
Guess I have to call and change my ressie!
Regular Vehicle Vehicles less than 65 inches in height; or vehicles 65-88 inches in height and less than 182 inches in length. Maximum width: 84 inches. Ground clearance: at least 4 inches. Check-in is required at least 1 hour prior to departure. Starting at + $169.00
Oversized Vehicle Vehicles 65-88 inches in height and 182 inches or greater in length. Maximum width: 84 inches. Ground clearance: at least 4 inches. Check-in is required at least 2 hours prior to departure.

We've reserved a 'roomette' on the AutoTrain. Will we be able to put an airplane size 'carry on' piece of luggage in the closet? Should we use something smaller for our essentials?

I'll have to take a picture of how we do our "setup" when we take the train in April, but I pack the smallest of the three suitcases in our set (I think it's a 21'') for overnight for both of us. It won't fit in the closet, we put our laptop bag, jackets, etc there. The suitcase fits very nicely on it's side on the top step on of the other side of the roommette from the closet. Hope that helps!

I have a roommette for our trip down this Saturday and can let you know when we return. I will take pics to post, too.

loveysbydesign said:
Yikes, I didn't think minivans were considered oversize! I have a Town and Country base model, the smaller size. Wonder if it is oversized?
CRUD< I just looked here http://www.allpar.com/model/m/specs-2005.html and it says it's 200 inches in length which would be oversized per Amtrak
Guess I have to call and change my ressie!
Regular Vehicle Vehicles less than 65 inches in height; or vehicles 65-88 inches in height and less than 182 inches in length. Maximum width: 84 inches. Ground clearance: at least 4 inches. Check-in is required at least 1 hour prior to departure. Starting at + $169.00
Oversized Vehicle Vehicles 65-88 inches in height and 182 inches or greater in length. Maximum width: 84 inches. Ground clearance: at least 4 inches. Check-in is required at least 2 hours prior to departure.

Thanks for posting this, my Juke is not oversized. Happy! Sometimes they do charge extra for oversize.

One problem with relying on cell connections is that cell service is spotty along the track, especially from North Carolina through Georgia. Luckily that's the overnight hours.

Thanks for the replies NJRRK, jad215 and denise5374.

It sounds like I can find a spot in the roomette for my 21" bag, but it just won't fit in the 'closet'.

Thought you may like a visual to go with the blue print. As you've seen, the handicapped bedroom has windows on both sides... it runs the width of the car.

Here's looking to the left when you enter:
969496544_GxvuU-M.jpg

and looking to the right:
1205821710_giPXH-M.jpg

There's a curtain (that closes with velcro and snaps) to separate the "bath" area from the seating/bed area. Your DH will be sleeping on the bottom bunk which means you'll have to navigate your way up to the top bunk.

They will bring your dinner and breakfast to your bedroom. I was also able to board earlier.

My family of 4, DH, DS (4) & DS (2) are considering taking the Autotrain to Disney next April. We are going back and forth with just doing coach or doing two roomettes. Any recommendations or advice on traveling with 2 energetic little boys is appreciated.

You mean that there are no rooms available northbound from Easter until mid-May. Right?

That's what the lady told me. I don't know, it seems I've read on here that they add more cars if the train gets booked. Honestly, the lady I talked to was less than professional. It seemed like I was bothering her, that she was annoyed her phone rang.

Thought you may like a visual to go with the blue print. As you've seen, the handicapped bedroom has windows on both sides... it runs the width of the car.

1205821710_giPXH-M.jpg

There's a curtain (that closes with velcro and snaps) to separate the "bath" area from the seating/bed area. Your DH will be sleeping on the bottom bunk which means you'll have to navigate your way up to the top bunk.

They will bring your dinner and breakfast to your bedroom. I was also able to board earlier.

Maybe it is just me, but I think it is rather disturbing to have to look at a commode the whole trip! And I highly doubt that I could easily get to the top bunk. In fact, that kind of makes me wonder what they were thinking when they designed the room. Consider the fact that many of the AT users are snowbirds. That means they are anywhere from 65 on up. Now, if they are using an accessible room, that means one of those senior citizens has to climb up to the top bunk. And then when the handicapped person needs assistance, they have to climb back down. That could mean several trips during the course of a night for a 70+yo person. Just doesn't make any sense to me. Risk of falling is greatly increased just being on a train, as it is, let alone having to climb up and down a ladder. Should have been one big birth or two lower berths instead of the upper berth.

I think it works the other way around: There's space above the bottom bunk that would go unused if they didn't offer the top bunk to those who could make use of it. It helps those folks avoid the costly alternative, which is to have to book two bedrooms. However, for those who truly cannot make use of the top bunk, that alternative is still available to them. I don't really see how they could design the cars differently so that the available space is best used. Anything that gives us that much more room and lower bunk space would require reducing the number of passengers that the car can accommodate and that would naturally increase the costs by the amount of the reduction in passengers. The Autotrain is already so expensive that I cannot imagine having to pay double even though it would mean that we both get a bottom bunk, so as long as we're physically able to use the top bunk safely I'm going to be happy for that option.

Leaving at 8:30 tomorrow morning for the trek to Lorton then onto to FL!!:dance3:

Just packing up for our trip to Disney....is the autotrain chilly? We have a roomette, not sure if there is individual air controls. I am thinking I should definitely bring sweatshirts for us...any suggestions? Thanks :goodvibes

In all our August Auto Train trips we have never needed anything warmer than t-shirts.

Christymarie222 said:
Just packing up for our trip to Disney....is the autotrain chilly? We have a roomette, not sure if there is individual air controls. I am thinking I should definitely bring sweatshirts for us...any suggestions? Thanks :goodvibes

Just got off the train today. You shouldn't need any sweatshirts. The rooms are comfortable but not too cold. Also, when the top bunk is down in the roomette the lower bed gets less circulation and may get s bit warm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter