All about the Autotrain

mikat said:
Wow, that's a lot! What time do you think I should get there to assure the 5:00 or 7:00 dinner? Since I'm local, I can get there early. We've decided to not go to Potomac Yards on Tuesday, but just head to a local restaurant after checking in and then come back with the car closer to 1:30 (we have a minivan, so we're oversized).

Also, could you PM me your cell and I'll try to call you in the station so we can say hi? Jen S, are you interested in meeting up as well?

If you are set on an early time u would say by earlier the better. You can always just check yourself in, get dining time then head out for lunch.,

I am worried bc we r suppose to have the latest seating as employees. Thinking of packing filling snacks incase we end up w 9pm dinner.

We hope to check in by 10-1030. We r planning on going to Potomac Mills to hit the Disney outlet.

I'll PM u with my cell. It would be nice to meet another dis'er.

Wooohoooo, I leave tomorrow (along with mykidslovedisney and JenniferS) on the SB autotrain! Can't wait - I'll try to give a live report depending on Verizon coverage.

:cool1: :) :cool1: :) :cool1:

Make that a double WooooHoooooo!! We leave in 4 hours and I am just now hitting the pillow. I doubt that I can sleep. Only 2 of my 4 DC r sleeping!! We have the can packed and counting down the minutes!!!!

Hope to meet my fellow dis'ers at the station!!!

See everyone at check in!!

Chugga chugga chooo choooo!!!

I think I've talked dh into taking AT home in April. But I priced it last night and came up with $756 for the two of us and our van. I am going to call today to see about a handicap room. Dh has balance issues and will not be able to navigate walking through the train, so we would need our meals delivered. Also, claustrophobia issues so I need a room with windows on both sides. I'm hoping that would describe a handicap room. These are all side effects of Lyme Disease that he contracted in 1993 but wasn't diagnosed until 1995 when it was in the late neurological stage and had triggered an autoimmune disorder. Grrrr! Amazing how a microscopic organism can change a person's life. Any way, I'm going to see what I can find out today.

pwdebbie said:
I think I've talked dh into taking AT home in April. But I priced it last night and came up with $756 for the two of us and our van. I am going to call today to see about a handicap room. Dh has balance issues and will not be able to navigate walking through the train, so we would need our meals delivered. Also, claustrophobia issues so I need a room with windows on both sides. I'm hoping that would describe a handicap room. These are all side effects of Lyme Disease that he contracted in 1993 but wasn't diagnosed until 1995 when it was in the late neurological stage and had triggered an autoimmune disorder. Grrrr! Amazing how a microscopic organism can change a person's life. Any way, I'm going to see what I can find out today.

I'd be interested in the answer. I thought handicap rooms only had one window since the other side is the shower and bathroom.

BlobServer

Superliner Accessible Bedroom

Yes, two windows, when the bathroom divider isn't closed.

BlobServer

Superliner Family Bedroom

The Family bedroom also has two windows.

BlobServer

Superliner Accessible Bedroom

Yes, two windows, when the bathroom divider isn't closed.

BlobServer

Superliner Family Bedroom

The Family bedroom also has two windows.

Thanks for the visuals! When I took a sneak peek into the Handicap rooms I only remembered seeing one window, so the divider for the bathroom must have been closed.

Glad to hear there are 2 windows for the PP above.:thumbsup2

To all those traveling soon on the Autotrain: I wish you the best WDW vacation and a smooth and quick trip on the train!

May your cars be #1-3 coming off the train!!:goodvibes:wizard:

The regular lower level seats are handicap accessible and they will deliver meals to you there, too (saw it done on our last AT trip). Just a thought, since I'd think the lower level seat area would be much less claustrophobic than any sleeper cabin.

Typing this message on the Autotrain! The Lorton station is great and the day has been a breeze. Our sleeper car has been a real luxury and dinner was fantastic. Both of my boys are fast asleep (the older one, 9 was so excited to order steak off the adults menu tonight). I got to meet mykidslovedisney and get fantastic family as well.

I talked to Amtrak and found that there are no rooms, handicap or otherwise, available on AT until mid-May. That won't work with our date, so AT is a no-go for us.

Typing this message on the Autotrain! The Lorton station is great and the day has been a breeze. Our sleeper car has been a real luxury and dinner was fantastic. Both of my boys are fast asleep (the older one, 9 was so excited to order steak off the adults menu tonight). I got to meet mykidslovedisney and get fantastic family as well.

Is there wifi?

No wifi - I am on 4G. Currently waiting for my car - we haven't been so lucky so far, 45 minutes waiting. Can't wait to get to Studios!

Does anyone know if all minivans are considered oversized vehicles? We have a Chevy Venture and I have a feeling I would measure wrong if I tried.

Does anyone know if all minivans are considered oversized vehicles? We have a Chevy Venture and I have a feeling I would measure wrong if I tried.

You can pull out the dimensions of your vehicle in your Owner's Manual or google it on-line. That's what I did to compare to make sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter