Alaska and Pacific Coast Excursions

Robin"D";39300040 said:
I don't see any of San Fran Excursions....please guide me in the right direction....:confused3

Robin & Angel "D" :thumbsup2

go to cruises and destinations than port adventures

Having been to San Francisco numerous times (one of my all-time favorite places) I'd book anything I wanted to do on my own, online, as far in advance as possible. You can easily do the museum on your own, and also Alcatraz...which is a "not to be missed" excursion. Alcatraz books up early, so the best thing is to buy tickets online for the time you want. The night time trip to Alcatraz is awesome!
I'd spend the rest of the time just exploring the Wharf area, or I'd book (online) the Duck Tour. It's a fabulous way to see all the sights in one tour.

Having been to San Francisco numerous times (one of my all-time favorite places) I'd book anything I wanted to do on my own, online, as far in advance as possible. You can easily do the museum on your own, and also Alcatraz...which is a "not to be missed" excursion. Alcatraz books up early, so the best thing is to buy tickets online for the time you want. The night time trip to Alcatraz is awesome!
I'd spend the rest of the time just exploring the Wharf area, or I'd book (online) the Duck Tour. It's a fabulous way to see all the sights in one tour.

Question: From the dock, how far is the Presidio? can we get there by cable car, or other puplic trans that won't break us? We have been into San Fran before on a cruise, love the area, we have done excruisions on our own as well, even have Alcatraz already booked (on line) @ night!
Looking forward to this trip!

Robin"D";39300980 said:
Question: From the dock, how far is the Presidio? can we get there by cable car, or other puplic trans that won't break us? We have been into San Fran before on a cruise, love the area, we have done excruisions on our own as well, even have Alcatraz already booked (on line) @ night!

I'd have to look online to see if the cable car goes there...for some reason, my memory is telling me that it doesn't.
We took a taxi there this summer and the cost wasn't bad....I just can't remember exactly how much. Must be I have Christmas brain drain!

I just looked online to double check, and no, the cable cars don't go to the Presidio.

You will LOVE the night time excursion to Alcatraz. They let you go upstairs to see the medical areas, which they don't do during the day and it's so cool!!

I just saw they want $129 per person for the Disney family museum. I'm not going on the cruise, but please don't pay this. I think admission was $20.00 and you could catch a cab for less than $20.00 each way. If you're worried, buy tickets in advance and pay a small service charge. I just showed up and they took my $$. Perhaps with DCL in port, you might book in advance.

Robin"D";39300980 said:

There isn't public transport (BART or Cable Car) to the Presidio. Your best bet is either taking a cab or maybe a bus. Look into the Muni Passport as an option that allows you to ride both the busses as well as the cable cars. http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm

You might also look into City Pass http://www.citypass.com/san-francisco for other attractions.

I just saw they want $129 per person for the Disney family museum. I'm not going on the cruise, but please don't pay this. I think admission was $20.00 and you could catch a cab for less than $20.00 each way. If you're worried, buy tickets in advance and pay a small service charge. I just showed up and they took my $$. Perhaps with DCL in port, you might book in advance.

Agreed. San Francisco is such a user friendly city and you are better off getting advice from locals and doing it on your own.

The Walt Disney Family Museum is not the only stop, it is just two hours of this excursion. You do much more:

On this tour you will:
Board an air-conditioned motor coach for an approximate 20-minute fully narrated scenic drive along the Embarcadero and toward the Presidio.
Arrive at the Walt Disney Family Museum and discover the amazing life and journey of the founder of our company during this approximate 2-hour visit. The Museum is composed of two buildings, so ensure to dedicate time to both the main museum building and the Riley Building during your free time to explore. Galleries, special exhibits and unique artifacts make this visit a special one to Disney fans of all ages. Note: The Museum is dedicated to the life of Walt Disney himself and may not be appealing for children under 10 years of age.
Re-board your motor coach and continue for an approximate 15-minute photo stop at Twin Peaks. With incredible panoramic views, Twin Peaks sits at almost the geographic center of the city of San Francisco. With a height of 922 feet, Twin Peaks has 2 summits used for both residences and television and radio transmission towers. Atop the summit is a reservoir holding 14 million gallons of water for San Francisco hotels and homes. Many birds also enjoy Twin Peaks views.
Next, continue your scenic drive to the Golden Gate Park, past the de Young Fine Arts Museum and Gardens. Your motor coach will make a brief stop near Cliff House on the Pacific coast.
Continue past the Palace of Legion of Honor, travel along the coastal road to the Golden Gate Bridge where you'll have an approximate 30-minute photo stop. Note: The Golden Gate Bridge is often shrouded in fog.
From there, drive past the Cannery, Ghirardelli Square and the lively Fisherman's Wharf area before returning to the pier.

Hope this helps...Besides being from the DCL maybe a little extra will be for us @ the Walt Disney Family Museum !!!

Robin & Agel "D" :thumbsup2

Merry Christmas

I would still lean toward taking a cab to the museum and then a walking tour (on your own) of the wharf area, which includes the Cannery and Ghirardelli Square.
Other than the museum, the rest of that ship tour is not very impressive.

Or...as I'd said.....if you don't want to walk around and see all that, you can reserve tickets for the Duck Tour, and that will show you all those sights (except the museum) and China Town and the Giants ball park.

There is public transportation to the Presidio: from the NPS Presidio website:

<<<Public Transportation
San Francisco Municipal Railway (MUNI) buses serve the Presidio via the 28 (to Golden Gate Plaza), 29 (from Sunset to Baker Beach), and 43 (to Letterman area) lines and other lines terminate near the Presidio's Lombard Gate.

The Presidio Trust provides free PresidioGo shuttle service within the Presidio and to nearby public transit stops. Visitors can also ride the shuttle between downtown San Francisco and the Presidio on weekdays between 9:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
>>>

There are tours of AT&T Park:

<<<It's the ballpark where home runs can be "splash hits" and the breathtaking Bay views rival the action on the field. It's where one of baseball's most hallowed franchises plays inside an architectural landmark.

On your behind-the-scenes ballpark tour of AT&T Park you will get to go places only the players and staff go including:

The Field Warning Track
The Dugouts
Indoor Batting Cages
The Visitors' Clubhouse
The Press Box
A Luxury Suite
Public Tours
Available EVERY DAY at 10:30 am and 12:30 pm rain or shine, except when day games are scheduled at AT&T Park.

Great for Adults and Kids, San Francisco tourist, Giants fans and baseball fanatics.
All tour stops are subject to change depending upon team schedule and area availability.
Due to possible post-season activity, there may be changes to the October schedule.
Tours depart from the Giants Dugout Store at AT&T Park and last approximately one hour and thirty minutes.
For up to date tour information please call 415.972.2400>>>

Another great stop for the entire family is the California Academy of Science museum in Golden Gate Park. http://www.calacademy.org/. It has an aquarium, four story rainforest, planetarium, etc. Young kids would enjoy it as well as adults.

There are tours of AT&T Park:

<<<It's the ballpark where home runs can be "splash hits" and the breathtaking Bay views rival the action on the field. It's where one of baseball's most hallowed franchises plays inside an architectural landmark.

On your behind-the-scenes ballpark tour of AT&T Park you will get to go places only the players and staff go including:

The Field Warning Track
The Dugouts
Indoor Batting Cages
The Visitors' Clubhouse
The Press Box
A Luxury Suite
Public Tours
Available EVERY DAY at 10:30 am and 12:30 pm rain or shine, except when day games are scheduled at AT&T Park.

Great for Adults and Kids, San Francisco tourist, Giants fans and baseball fanatics.
All tour stops are subject to change depending upon team schedule and area availability.
Due to possible post-season activity, there may be changes to the October schedule.
Tours depart from the Giants Dugout Store at AT&T Park and last approximately one hour and thirty minutes.
For up to date tour information please call 415.972.2400>>>

On the Duck Tour, we went into the water all around behind the stadium. It's awesome to get that "view" of where those home run balls go!

Robin"D";39300980 said:

Robin
I am having my friend who works in San Francisco check this out for us.
Hope you and Angel had a Merry Christmas and are enjoying the snow.
Sue

Another great stop for the entire family is the California Academy of Science museum in Golden Gate Park. http://www.calacademy.org/. It has an aquarium, four story rainforest, planetarium, etc. Young kids would enjoy it as well as adults.

I have to 2nd this recommendation. The Academy is a wonderful place to go, especially for kids (but really for every age). :thumbsup2

I have to 2nd this recommendation. The Academy is a wonderful place to go, especially for kids (but really for every age). :thumbsup2

Yes, but book your tickets online in advance. Some days it can get busy.

--Kay

You can really get alot out of 2 hours at the Disney Museum. We went soon after it first opened and spent almost 2 hours there and felt that we saw it all. Hope that helps. :goodvibes

Also, a ticket there has a time on it, so they only let in a certain amount of people at a time. It didn't feel crowded at all when we were there. Definitely worth your time if you want to see more of the early works and learn about the life of Walt Disney.

I wanted to mention that I went to the Museum site and found if you have AAA you can get $5 off tickets at the ticket window.

Robin
I am having my friend who works in San Francisco check this out for us.
Hope you and Angel had a Merry Christmas and are enjoying the snow.
Sue

Sue,

Thx, and yes we are enjoying the 8" + so far....
I think we are going to do the WDFM excursion, maybe because we are from DCL. thjey will make it specail for us

She you next month!

Happ New Year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter