Alarmingly thin Sleeping Beauty at Royal Hall

GeneralTso

DIS Veteran
Have any of you seen her?
I'm not going to post her picture, but it is a bit shocking. I swear it looks like she is anorexic. I'm wondering why Disney, supervisor's, etc. let her work looking like that. We even overheard a little boy say, quite loudly "WHY is Sleeping Beauty SO SKINNY?" Mom shushed him but I'm sure she heard, we did and we were with her at the time.

All the other princesses look healthy. This young lady however, different story. I'm wondering if you have encountered this.

Of course this isn't nearly as odd as the Snow White we encountered with a gigantic hickey on her neck. That was interesting.

I think you need to be sensitive to possibly it NOT being a hickey. There all all kinds of birthmarks out there. I think that they wouldn't have let her go on with a hickey as you say or without fully covering it. If you are concerned, you should mention it guest services.

Oh, it was a hickey. No doubt and there was plenty of makeup in a very bad attempt to cover it up.

I would never bring something like that up to Guest Services. I'd look like an idiot. Can't even imagine those words coming out of my mouth.

It was more of a giggle for us. I'm sure little kids don't know what that is, but teens sure did. Oh yes, they sure did.

She may have been hired at a healthy weight and is dealing with some kind of medical issue that's caused her to become so thin. As far as the "hickey" there are also medical conditions that cause bruising/contusions in strange and embarrassing places.

She may have been hired at a healthy weight and is dealing with some kind of medical issue that's caused her to become so thin. As far as the "hickey" there are also medical conditions that cause bruising/contusions in strange and embarrassing places.

Yeah, don't judge. I break out from time to time in blotches on my neck and face that look like hickeys. Actually had a boyfriend break up with me once because he was convinced I was cheating. :(

:(

Yeah, don't judge. I break out from time to time in blotches on my neck and face that look like hickeys. Actually had a boyfriend break up with me once because he was convinced I was cheating.

I'm so sorry. That's awful. I get a hideous red "mask" on my face during flare ups and I feel so self-conscious, especially when people stare or make jokes about not using enough sunblock. It amazes me how insensitive and tactless others can be when it comes to another person's appearance seeming strange to them.

It is a concern. Not a judgment.
These folks that work here are regular people, just like everyone else who doesn't work here.

It looked alarming and I use that word very specifically.
Medical condition, perhaps. I was more surprised that she was working, in that capacity, looking so sick. Yes, sick.

Don't try to paint me as some monster, MrsStrong. There are certain positions there that require a major public presence and have pretty strict guidelines about appearance. This princess did not look like all the other Sleeping Beauties, or other princesses I have seen.

It was very (very) strange.

:(

I'm so sorry. That's awful. I get a hideous red "mask" on my face during flare ups and I feel so self-conscious, especially when people stare or make jokes about not using enough sunblock. It amazes me how insensitive and tactless others can be when it comes to another person's appearance seeming strange to them.

I'm right there with you. My flare ups are on my chest and neck and it's amazing how many strangers feel the need to lecture me on not using sunblock. It get's me frustrated which makes the flare up worse.

I can't believe the OP has the nerve to post such a comment. It is no different if she would have said "I can't believe Disney employs people that are overweight." It doesn't matter that she is a CM that is a character or a street sweeper, judging a person by their size is abhorring. And the comment about what she thinks is a hickey, same category of ignorant behavior/comments.

I guarantee if the face character playing Ariel packed on 50 pounds they'd find a new position for her.

It is a concern. Not a judgment.
These folks that work here are regular people, just like everyone else who doesn't work here.

It looked alarming and I use that word very specifically.
Medical condition, perhaps. I was more surprised that she was working, in that capacity, looking so sick. Yes, sick.

Don't try to paint me as some monster, MrsStrong. There are certain positions there that require a major public presence and have pretty strict guidelines about appearance. This princess did not look like all the other Sleeping Beauties, or other princesses I have seen.

It was very (very) strange.

Would you say the same thing if the person was considered obese dressed in Snow White or would you praise disneyland for it? Just curious.

I have a slightly different take on this. I used to struggle with eating disorders for almost 10 years, both anorexia and bulimia. Because of my past, when I see someone that is exceptionally thin pushing away a plate, or if I hear someone throwing up in a restaurant bathroom, I'll be honest, many times I do wonder if they have an eating disorder. IF someone has a legitimate disorder, it would obviously be best if they seek treatment and not be elevated to the "princess" status in the eyes of thousands of little girls that visit the parks every day and see them as examples, as their physical condition is not something to which one should aspire. That said, based on just a brief encounter with a stranger, one cannot make a definite diagnosis either way as to what's going on. In addition, even if the poor girl DID have an eating disorder, like any other addiction or illness, she is not in control of that situation.

I'm pretty sure if someone said, "What's up with one of the Ariels? She looks fat to the point of being unhealthy. In fact, a child even blurted out, "Look how fat Ariel is!"" they would be handslapped silly.

I'm right there with you. My flare ups are on my chest and neck and it's amazing how many strangers feel the need to lecture me on not using sunblock. It get's me frustrated which makes the flare up worse.

Ugh! So frustrating. Where do these people come from? :confused3

I have a slightly different take on this. I used to struggle with eating disorders for almost 10 years, both anorexia and bulimia. Because of his past, when I see someone that is exceptionally thin pushing away a plate, or if I hear someone throwing up in a restaurant bathroom, I'll be honest, many times I do wonder if they have an eating disorder. IF someone has a legitimate disorder, it would obviously best if they seek treatment and not be elevated to the "princess" status in the eyes of thousands of little girls that visit the parks every day. That said, based on just a brief encounter with a stranger, one cannot make a definite diagnosis either way as to what's going on. In addition, even if the poor girl DID have an eating disorder, like any other addiction or illness, she is not in control of that situation and therefore shouldn't be judged.

Very very well put. Body image is such a tricky thing. I've got a similar history to you, never totally got over the binging half when I'm really stressed. But images of super thin tall people in the media really did feed into it, even though that was never meant to be my body type. I guess it comes down to Disney balancing their responsibility in pushing the princess image and that ideal vs the health and well being of an employee.

Exactly WHAT is the point of bringing "skinny Aurora" to the boards? Seriously? I'm honestly curious what your intent was, because I don't think it's concern for the actress. I think it's judgement, and it's gossip, and it's rude.

It is up to her BOSSES (which, in case you forgot, you are NOT) to decide whether she should or should not be on stage.

Bringing it here reeks of Mean Girl Gossip. "OMG look at Aurora! She's so skinny! I hear she retches after every meal!"

"I heard she has cancer!"

"I heard she has an eating disorder!"

Rude.

Who knows what that girl struggles with. Commenting and speculating on it isn't nice. What if she were your daughter? What if she were your sister?

I've got a similar history to you, never totally got over the binging half when I'm really stressed.

Oh well if we are addressing the binge-eating part THAT is still going strong lol. Maybe in another 10 years that part will be under control as well.

I have a slightly different take on this. I used to struggle with eating disorders for almost 10 years, both anorexia and bulimia. Because of my past, when I see someone that is exceptionally thin pushing away a plate, or if I hear someone throwing up in a restaurant bathroom, I'll be honest, many times I do wonder if they have an eating disorder. IF someone has a legitimate disorder, it would obviously be best if they seek treatment and not be elevated to the "princess" status in the eyes of thousands of little girls that visit the parks every day and see them as examples, as their physical condition is not something to which one should aspire. That said, based on just a brief encounter with a stranger, one cannot make a definite diagnosis either way as to what's going on. In addition, even if the poor girl DID have an eating disorder, like any other addiction or illness, she is not in control of that situation.

Couldn't agree with you more. The world would be a better place if people actually listened to you and understood your point of view! So many horrifying opinions out there on what is "healthy," it scares me.

We were there this week and I believe that we saw the Sleeping Beauty that you are referring too. She was small framed, however she was tall, making her look long and lean. I think the real reason that she appeared thinner than previous Sleeping Beauties was she was wearing the new Sleeping Beauty costume which is more form fitting and less "poofy"

Edited to add, I don't think that she was anorexic or unhealthy looking, and my daughter had a wonderful interaction with her. She was extremely friendly and posed for several great pictures with my 5 year old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter