• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKV-Flat screens HD?

WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran
I know they're HD compatible/ready. What I'm wondering is are they broadcasting any HD to the rooms. I meant to ask my guide when we were on the tour but I forgot.

I've been meaning to ask this but just don't think about it. I saw another post commenting about how "nice" the flat screens were and I thought, "They look crappy with SDTV I don't care what they are." LOL

Anybody that's stayed at AKV lately; HD in the rooms? Yea or nay? Are they Plasmas or LCDs? I didn't notice in the tour. Philips or another brand?

Thanks!
-bob

I don't remember being able to get any HD content while there last August. I suspect that would require some upgrades to their in-room distribution network. I think they simply just replaced the old CRTs with the newer LCDs without much regard to pushing out HD content. I don't even think the DVD players were progressive scan (if memory serves) so these appear to be superficial upgrades, more for looks than full functionality.

It just looks better to have newer technology in the rooms (DVD vs VCR, save space with an LCD vs CRT, etc) whether they actually provide any access to HD sources or not.

The locals (ABC, NBC & CBS) were in HD at AKV.

Stayed at the Poly for New Years Eve and even there they had the HD feed for the locals. Could see the NBC HD logo on the screen. They still had old analog sets so they must have down converted the digital signal to analog.

No Stacey in HD?
What we need is Stacey in 7.1 surround sound.

Back to the original topic - a huge pet peve on my. Hotels are spending $millions on HD TV's, then running nothing but crappy SD signals to them. Signals that look worse on those HDTV's than they ever looked on the old TV's. Argggg.

It's especially annoying at Disney, as Disney (especially ESPN) has done more to promote and encourage HDTV than anyone.

What we need is Stacey in 7.1 surround sound.

Back to the original topic - a huge pet peve on my. Hotels are spending $millions on HD TV's, then running nothing but crappy SD signals to them. Signals that look worse on those HDTV's than they ever looked on the old TV's. Argggg.

It's especially annoying at Disney, as Disney (especially ESPN) has done more to promote and encourage HDTV than anyone.

Yea really. Go figure.

Well, thanks for the 411 folks. the answer's actually better than I had feared but not as good as I had hoped for. At least there's locals.

Go figure the freakin' Disney Channel's in HD but not at AKV. It ain't like they have to negotiate the rights. Unbelievable. LOL

I suspect that would require some upgrades to their in-room distribution network. I think they simply just replaced the old CRTs with the newer LCDs without much regard to pushing out HD content.

That was my point exactly. It may have changed since last August but I don't remember anything available on TV at the resort even coming close to HD quality. I usually can't watch any SD sport programming on a HD set because of all the distortion and I remember having to change channels from the football game I was watching because I couldn't stand the poor picture (you couldn't even make out the numbers on their uniforms).

The locals (ABC, NBC & CBS) were in HD at AKV.

Stayed at the Poly for New Years Eve and even there they had the HD feed for the locals. Could see the NBC HD logo on the screen. They still had old analog sets so they must have down converted the digital signal to analog.
Now that you mention it, I thought I recalled seing a local station HD logo last year in florida (I think it was at BWV, but it might of been where I stayed around Tampa) The TV was certainly not HD, and there was no digital cable box. I just thought the local cable "plant" already started to use the a down-converted digital OTA feed. (as all cable systems will have to start doing Feb 2009). In other words, an HD logo does not always = HD :(

Wow. It's great that you even have LCD TV's at AKV. At BWV I think my TV was from 1995. An awful 19" CRT in the bedroom and maybe a 27" in the living room. I am an HD snob and have not seen any hotel broadcasting any HD. I was in Bermuda last year at a nice hotel and they had a 32" Sharp Aquos showing crummy SD on every channel. Yuck.

I was there April 21-24, and can confirm that at least some of the local stations had HD content. The TVs themselves were tuned to the D-02, D-03, etc, channels, so in theory could be HD (but I don't know the details of their internal network setup and all, so who knows). That said, aside from a few of the local type stations, I can't think of anything that appeared to be HD content.

I think the picture depends on the TV. SD looks fine on our HD TV. Yes, HD looks better, but it really isn't all that much better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter