AKV CL PTR/TR - taking practically first timers -TR starts on P. 17 (completed)

Alison, welcome! :wave2: not late, it's still early in the game. :)

Yes! They want me to do everything for them. I just don't want to spend every minute on vacation with them tied to me. If they start grumbling just once the string is cut. R is especially known for his grumbling, and he's a smoker, so I know he's going to want to stop at each area. :faint:

Now that I've thought about it, it would probably be better not to have late check out because then we would only have three hours until DME pickup. I dont think I'll even ask about it

I was hoping you wouldn't be out of town when I'm out there. Really looking forward to getting together. :goodvibes

I'm still on the fence about the Expo. I really want to go, but also don't want to stand in line for hours just to get a seat. It would be in addition to the September trip so must figure this out soon. And now I need to figure out if it would be cost effective to get the pass for both WDW and DL or buy them separately. Decisions decisions :scratchin

So this has nothing to do with the PTR but I wanted to share some other planning news.

Ever since they started building Aulani I knew I just had to get there someday, and since I bought the points on the cruise I've just been itching to plan a trip there. Even before buying the points my plan was to do two weeks in late 2013, but that had to be pushed back because I also must get out to see DL. (too many trips and too little vacation time :sad2:) So, I'll be doing DL the first or second week in September 2013 (9/1-9/7 or 9/8-9/14/13), depending on what week I can get off work. And Aulani the last week in August and first week in September 2014. (8/24-9/6/14). I'm glad I have my dates pin pointed in my mind, because the 'I must get there' thought just wasn't firm enough :laughing:

I can ask for next year's vacation this December, so I'll be putting in my requests ASAP. It's a 'first come first serve' type of thing, so I'm hoping I'll get exactly what I want if I put in my requests right when she'll take them. The problem is I have the two cruises already booked, so those dates in my mind are set in stone. Hopefully everything will work out perfectly, my fingers are crossed.

Those are wonderful plans! I'm not sure if/when I'll ever get to Aulani, but I really want a trip to DL soon. I am subbed to three different DL TRs and I know its something I have to experience. I was ready to bump the Disney cruise to go next fall, but I think I'll have to wait 2014.

I hope you get all your vacation requests. I am very lucky in my job since I can practically take off whenever I want.

Those are wonderful plans! I'm not sure if/when I'll ever get to Aulani, but I really want a trip to DL soon. I am subbed to three different DL TRs and I know its something I have to experience. I was ready to bump the Disney cruise to go next fall, but I think I'll have to wait 2014.

I hope you get all your vacation requests. I am very lucky in my job since I can practically take off whenever I want.

I had never given DL much thought but after reading some TRs and going on the website I finally realize there's a lot I'm missing out on. Carsland clinched it for me, I want to see it sooner than later.

I'm also so excited about Aulani, a little sad it's so far away but I'll have plenty to focus on between now and then.

Bump the cruise! No no no! You could do a west coast cruise and DL in one trip. :)

I hope it won't be a problem. She really tries to work around people's schedules, but I'm going to put in my requests as soon as she'll take them to alleviate my nerves. My last job I could go whenever I wanted as well, so this structure is just different.

Alison, welcome! :wave2: not late, it's still early in the game. :)

Yes! They want me to do everything for them. I just don't want to spend every minute on vacation with them tied to me. If they start grumbling just once the string is cut. R is especially known for his grumbling, and he's a smoker, so I know he's going to want to stop at each area. :faint:

Now that I've thought about it, it would probably be better not to have late check out because then we would only have three hours until DME pickup. I dont think I'll even ask about it

I was hoping you wouldn't be out of town when I'm out there. Really looking forward to getting together. :goodvibes

I'm still on the fence about the Expo. I really want to go, but also don't want to stand in line for hours just to get a s. eat. It would be in addition to the September trip so must figure this out soon. And now I need to figure out if it would be cost effective to get the pass for both WDW and DL or buy them separately. Decisions decisions :scratchin

I remember doing the smoker's tour at DL, we went from smoking spot to the next one. I'm not sure we got any rides in it was silly.

I haven't made any plans for 2013 September other than PIO will be coming to So Cal so I will be here on her dates, I will be here on your dates as far as I know. I have no plans for then as of now.

The Expo is a great experience, especially if you can afford the upper packages, otherwise you will be waiting in long lines. That is kist a fact of life, they can't find halls big enough for all the seminars and the Anaheim convention center is one BIG place. We are going to pay for whatever upgraded level we can get because for us it is worth it. We got the upgraded level for the August 2012 event and hope it will be worth every penny!

I thought I rembered the price for the upper ticket but went back to check just in case. Not quite a possibility this year, and since they sell out so fast I don't think any would be left closer to the event. I really really really want to get to an Expo, I think I'd enjoy it immensely.

Will you be doing another excellent event recap? Love hearing about your adventures.

Continuing on with the PTR planning.

As of now R & M will be buying 6 day passes, so we will only be able to repeat two parks. I think AK and MK will be the ones we repeat because there's just so much I know they'll enjoy at both of them. R has only been to AK once, the year it opened, and M has never been. I think they will enjoy practically everything AK has to offer so is worthy of two days. MK is a similar situation, so much to see and so much they'll enjoy. But then again all parks have so much to do, it's impossible to do it all in one trip. I keep reminding myself that I can't push them too hard or they won't enjoy themselves. Regardless of which park we're at, I think we should take a break around 5-6 every evening to enjoy the CL and recharge.

Things I know they'll enjoy at AK:

Kilimanjaro Safaris - R has great memories of this and I know M will love it. Hopefully will get a few rides in.

Pangani Forest Trail - we all love animals so will be doing a lot of animal watching at AK.

Rafiki's Planet Watch - M will really enjoy the Affection Station and I'm sure they'll enjoy the train ride after the Pangani Trail.

Flights of Wonder - this is a fabulous show that I know they'll love.

Kali River Rapids - a must do. Probably will get a few rides in.

Maharajah Jungle Trek - might be best not to do both trails on the same day so they don't get too tired.

Expedition Everest - no doubt about it. This didn't exist when R went to AK and I'm excited for him to see it.

Finding Nemo - a welcome relief after all the walking that's most assuredly been done. I don't need to see this again for a while, but I know they'll enjoy it.

Dinosaur - one of my favorites. Mom will probably sit this one out, she doesn't like how jerky it is.

It's Tough to be a Bug! - Can't wait to see M's reaction to the 4D effects. I've asked R not to warn her, but he probably won't be able to stop himself.

Festival of the Lion King - will try to catch this on the way in or out of the park to minimize any doubling back. This is another one I could wait a few more trips before seeing again, but I'm sure they'll enjoy it.

Will enjoy the Oasis Exhibits when we're going through them.

AK is one of mom's favorite parks so I might let her be the tour guide for the day :) I can never pick a favorite, I love all of them for different reasons.

We have never eaten at AK except for the Sunrise Safari breakfast, what are things you'd recommend?

We love the pulled pork sandwiches and onion rings at the Flame Tree BBQ. The seating is also nice as they have different dining areas behind the restaurant, like being in small patios.

I thought I rembered the price for the upper ticket but went back to check just in case. Not quite a possibility this year, and since they sell out so fast I don't think any would be left closer to the event. I really really really want to get to an Expo, I think I'd enjoy it immensely.

Will you be doing another excellent event recap? Love hearing about your adventures.

I will probably do a separate TR on the DL boards instead of incorporating it into my TR. Since we aren't going anywhere secret no need to tuck it away in the PTR. It should be neat, we are dining at the new restaurant on Buena Vista Street and the Monday after the event we get a tour of the Walt Disney Animation Studios.

We have never eaten at AK except for the Sunrise Safari breakfast, what are things you'd recommend?

Flame Tree is my favorite place to eat, but I know you don't eat Pork, can't remember if you eat chicken. They have a good BBQ chicken plate and chicken salad.

We also made a meal out is appetizers from Yak & Yeti. You might find more options there, they have a few meatless dishes too.

That sounds great. I have to admit that I have never managed to spend more than a day at Animal Kingdom. Epcot is another matter. Festival of the Lion King is one of my must dos. Your plan looks great though. It's Tough To Be A Bug and Expedition Everest are the two on the list that scare me silly.

Corinna

Bump the cruise! No no no! You could do a west coast cruise and DL in one trip. :)

Now there's an idea! :thumbsup2

AK plans look great. That's one full day!

Place to eat - love the Tusker House buffet, but I also love the veggie sandwich at Resturantsaurus.

Hi Pam I am here...better late then never. :)

I understand your thoughts about inviting your brother and his girlfriend. I will be rooting for the trip to be super great and them to love Jambo house and all the experiences you are providing for them. You are a very sweet sister to include them.

Our last trip to WDW in 2010 was less than steller. We invited a couple to join us and wow it was a very strange, stressful trip. I had won a vacation at WDW for four people and we invited them to join us for that part then at AKL CL for three days. :sad2:

Your plans so far look great. I love how fluid your thought process and days are. That is the best way to tour with a group.

Looking at everyone planning trips for a year to two years in advance makes me think I had better start thinking about next years vacations. :dance3:

Ann

We love the pulled pork sandwiches and onion rings at the Flame Tree BBQ. The seating is also nice as they have different dining areas behind the restaurant, like being in small patios.

Flame Tree is my favorite place to eat, but I know you don't eat Pork, can't remember if you eat chicken. They have a good BBQ chicken plate and chicken salad.

We also made a meal out is appetizers from Yak & Yeti. You might find more options there, they have a few meatless dishes too.

Two counts for Flame Tree BBQ, excellent. R, M, and Mom love anything BBQ so I'll present that as an option. I don't eat any meat except fish and some seafood so hopefully will find something. They also love onion rings so it might be a winner.

Now there's an idea! :thumbsup2

I'm a big believer in having it all whenever possible :) I'm quite impatient.

Place to eat - love the Tusker House buffet, but I also love the veggie sandwich at Resturantsaurus.

A veggie sandwich could be right up my alley. You don't happen to remember if it has onions on it do you? I'm not a fan. But if they make them fresh I could request them be taken off... I wonder if they make anything fresh though.

Oh no, I'm going to divide all that up into two days. I think it'll work nicely and those days we'll have the evenings completely free since AK closes at 6 the week we're there.

Hi Pam I am here...better late then never. :)

I understand your thoughts about inviting your brother and his girlfriend. I will be rooting for the trip to be super great and them to love Jambo house and all the experiences you are providing for them. You are a very sweet sister to include them.

Our last trip to WDW in 2010 was less than steller. We invited a couple to join us and wow it was a very strange, stressful trip. I had won a vacation at WDW for four people and we invited them to join us for that part then at AKL CL for three days. :sad2:

Your plans so far look great. I love how fluid your thought process and days are. That is the best way to tour with a group.

Looking at everyone planning trips for a year to two years in advance makes me think I had better start thinking about next years vacations. :dance3:

Ann

Hi Ann :) So glad you found me. Not late at all, no worries!

I'm sorry your last trip wasn't a good one. Disney should never be strange or stressful. That just sounds terrible . You must get back and replace these memories with better ones.

I'm really hoping for a great trip. She is actually his wife, they've been married three years. However, they didn't tell anybody until they'd been married a year. A very bizarre situation. This is something I don't think they'd ever be able to do for themselves, so I really have high hopes for this trip. I'm hoping everything goes very smoothly with no drama. Thank you for your kind words :)

Yes, start your planning now! :) It makes me a much happier person knowing there's a lot to look forward to.

That sounds great. I have to admit that I have never managed to spend more than a day at Animal Kingdom. Epcot is another matter. Festival of the Lion King is one of my must dos. Your plan looks great though. It's Tough To Be A Bug and Expedition Everest are the two on the list that scare me silly.

Corinna

Dinosaur is the one that scares the wits out of me but I keep going back for more. I think it's a sickness :laughing: I scream and scream even though I know what's coming. I just love it.

I will probably do a separate TR on the DL boards instead of incorporating it into my TR. Since we aren't going anywhere secret no need to tuck it away in the PTR. It should be neat, we are dining at the new restaurant on Buena Vista Street and the Monday after the event we get a tour of the Walt Disney Animation Studios.

Can't wait to read all about it, sounds like a great couple of days.

Oh no, I'm going to divide all that up into two days. I think it'll work nicely and those days we'll have the evenings completely free since AK closes at 6 the week we're there.

I was going to say that was a pretty ambitious day too! Better spread out over two days. I checked the flame tree menu at allears and they have a fruit salad with yogurt and French fries you can eat there.

I was going to say that was a pretty ambitious day too! Better spread out over two days. I checked the flame tree menu at allears and they have a fruit salad with yogurt and French fries you can eat there.

Yes, I think it's much better spread out over two days. I know they're both going to love AK, and don't want them to feel rushed. Also, since they only have one day passes we'll have those evenings free to just relax or go to DTD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter