AKV CL PTR/TR - taking practically first timers -TR starts on P. 17 (completed)

Pinkocto

DIS Veteran
Greetings everybody and welcome to my first PTR. I had not planned on doing one for this trip because I'm not sure there's much to talk about, but I feel at a bit of a loss without talking about my Disney plans. I find I like to talk about Disney much more than the average bear and only people on the DIS understand.

Dates for the trip:

09/03-09/10/12. We'll be arriving at MCO at 9:40 am on the third and leaving at 7:15 on the tenth so will have pretty much a full 8 days.

Players of the trip:

My mother - Jeanette

DB - Richard

SiL - Melanie

Me - Pam

A little history:

I purchased DVC, home resort AKV, in January 2011 and had promised myself not to share the news because it was a big purchase and I didn't want anybody judging me. Well that lasted maybe 4 months. I just couldn't control myself any longer and had to share the good news. I have absolutely no idea what came over me, but I offered to take my DB and SiL in the next year. I say I don't know what came over me because these people are not my favorite. Yes they're family, and that might sound terrible, but over the years they have caused me a lot of stress and grief. Unfortunately when things are good one tends to forget the bad, so when I offered to take them things must have been good. I'm really hoping I can make the most of this trip and still have a wonderful time.

I wanted to take them in the Adventure Season to use the least amount of points, and September 2012 seemed to work for everybody. At some point I offered to just send them on their own because it did not seem like a fun trip, but they do not want to go alone. Neither of them have been to WDW in over fifteen years and would have no idea where to start. I kindly asked my mother to come along to help keep my sanity, and it is not in her nature to refuse a free trip so thankfully agreed to come.

Since I had just bought at AKV and had very quickly fallen in love with the place that was the only resort on the list. The plan was to get two studios CL because I did CL on the previous trip when I bought DVC and did not want to be without it, it was so fabulous.

I patiently waited until exactly my 11 month window, called at exactly 9:00 am and was able to get exactly what I wanted. It was not without a bit of stress because the CM was only able to book one room at a time. The whole time we were booking the first room I kept thinking anybody could be calling and getting the other room. This was before they set up the wonderful online booking system which I now absolutely love. There are only 5 CL studios so I knew it was a strong possibility I wouldn't get both, but I did NOT want to be in the same room with them. Also, if I got a 2 BR it would have been more than the points for two studios. This is the best of everything.

I'm hoping you guys can give me tips on what I shouldn't miss for these two who are practically first timers. They were both kids when they last went, and I really want to make this trip a good one. I don't want to run them ragged so I know I need to take things easy and factor in pool time and breaks. I'm also having to keep this a budget friendly trip for them, so have only planned two sit down breakfasts and the rest will be CS. I'm hoping they take advantage of the CL as much as possible because I know that helps a lot.

That's it for now, will be back with a daily schedule later.

I'm in. I am most curious to see how the newly elected point czar is going to use all her points. ;)

I'm in! Loved your last TR. I hope things go well for you this time. Just keep saying "happy place, happy place" and you will really be there!

I'm in. I am most curious to see how the newly elected point czar is going to use all her points. ;)

:rotfl: that gave me a lovely chuckle! This trip I booked last October before I bought more points so I had to borrow from 2013. This is why I went to SSR the day we got off the ship to see if they could help move my points around.

Glad you're along for the ride :) I'm just hoping and praying there's no family drama in September.

I'm in! Loved your last TR. I hope things go well for you this time. Just keep saying "happy place, happy place" and you will really be there!

That is an excellent mantra! I really hope so too. The problem is they're not good communicators at all, so they don't want to talk about plans. I'm thinking I need two or three back up plans in case they don't like what I've come up with. Who knows, I might never invite anyone else to Disney after this...

Thanks for joining the party!

That is an excellent mantra! I really hope so too. The problem is they're not good communicators at all, so they don't want to talk about plans. I'm thinking I need two or three back up plans in case they don't like what I've come up with. Who knows, I might never invite anyone else to Disney after this...

Thanks for joining the party!

Just plan what you want to do and let them come along if they want. otherwise let them go do as they please.

Tell them when and where the ADRs are, and they can find their way there.

I had to do that a couple of years ago with people that wanted to come with us.

Just plan what you want to do and let them come along if they want. otherwise let them go do as they please.

Tell them when and where the ADRs are, and they can find their way there.

I had to do that a couple of years ago with people that wanted to come with us.

I made it as easy as possible, both ADRs are at Boma, I just hope they wake up on time. You're right, I mustn't stress too much, this is still my vacation also.

I made it as easy as possible, both ADRs are at Boma, I just hope they wake up on time. You're right, I mustn't stress too much, this is still my vacation also.

You are very right! Enjoy yourself and let the others make their own way.

Hi Pam

I'm joining in and hopefully will be better at keeping up then I was with your cruise TR!

Looking forward to hearing all the plans.

Tanz :)

I've been trying to figure out a daily schedule, so I'll post what I've figured so far and please chime in with any thoughts.

9/3: Monday - Arrival Day.

- Leaving Baltimore at 7:25 am to arrive in Orlando at 9:40.
- Using DME and should be at Jambo House by 11:00 am.
- Check-in, if rooms not ready, will have some snacks at the CL and give Richard and Melanie (R & M in the future) a tour of the resort.
-Hollywood Studios has evening EMHs (9-midnight) so that's where we'll head as soon as we're ready.

9/4: Tuesday

-Breakfast in the CL.
-No evening EMHs so will let R & M choose the park today. There is no way in the universe they will be getting up early enough for morning EMHs so that is not even being factored in.

9/5: Wednesday

-Breakfast in the CL.
-Same as Tuesday, no evening EMHs so will let R & M choose where they'd like to go. I do not think it's necessary for them to buy Park Hoppers this trip since they haven't been in so long.

9/6: Thursday

-Breakfast at Boma, 10:00 am.
-Planning on this to be a pool day. After three full days I'm pretty sure they'll be ready for a break. I have run this idea by them and they think it's a good idea.
-Perhaps mini golf in the afternoon or a movie in the evening.

9/7: Friday

-Breakfast in the CL.
-Epcot has evening EMHs (9-midnight) so that's the park for the day. I'm pretty sure we'll have to take a break halfway through. Epcot has a lot of walking and I don't want them to get too tuckered out.

9/8: Saturday

-Breakfast in the CL.
-Will let R & M choose the park.

9/9: Sunday

-Breakfast at Boma again, 10:00 am. I made two reservations because I feel sure they'll want to go again, but if they don't I can always cancel it. Of course, mom and I could go alone also. I'm just going to play it by ear.
-Magic Kingdom has evening EMHs (9-midnight) which is where we'll head whenever we're ready.

9/10: Monday - Departure Day

Will be having as stress free a last day as possible.

-I'm going to request a late check-out which I'm hoping won't be a problem, if they aren't able to we'll work with it.
-Do airline check-in
-4:15pm DME pick-up for our 7:15 flight.
-No park today, I'm just thinking it would make the day a bit too rushed. We can either go to DTD for some shopping and lunch or enjoy the pool/resort. I will not be letting R & M go off on their own, they are almost always tardy to family functions and will not risk them missing the pick-up.

I'll go through each park later and chat about what are must do's and ok to miss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter