AKL vs ASMusic family suite

JillianM

Earning My Ears
So I booked a All Stars Music family suite package several weeks ago for 9 nights in Nov 2013. Its just me and my 2 teenage sons. The point of getting the family suite was the separate beds for the boys. However after looking around here and on the Disney site I notice the AKL (where I really wanted to say anyway) has a room with bunk beds. The cost would be more, but not enough to make a difference to me. We have only been once in 2009 and stayed at CBR (it was nice but I want somewhere different this time).

I need advice. Is it worth it to move resorts? My youngest doesn't want to stay at ASMusic, he thinks the noise will bother him, a friend said something about it (that is why i started looking around to begin with). My oldest is up in arms about the 'animal smell' and the 'looks like its adults only' at AKL.

If you have teenage sons where did you stay?

Thanks in advance.

I don't have teenaged sons, but we spent a week with our 7 & 10 year old at AKL in December. There was no smell whatsoever. It was an amazing resort. The pool area is fantastic and definitely not "adults" only. Being able to see the animals "up close and personal" was truly an experience of a lifetime. They have guides that work at the resort from Africa and they are so personable and knowledgable and love to talk about the animals and their lives in Africa with adults and children of all ages. I would highly recommend staying at AKL. Previously, I have stayed off-site and at the Poly, but this has been my favourite so far.

We have stayed at AKL twice and are going back for our third trip this May. We have never encountered any animal smell issues (unless you are standing next to the Flamingo pond;)) -
With 2 teenage boys I would pick AKL in a second. Definately not an *adults only* feel to it. Beautiful grounds, fabulous pool...a fantastic resort. The difference between a Value and a Deluxe is amazing. If the price is not a big deal I would most definately switch. :goodvibes

Got back last month from AKL... Hubby & I, & 3 kids under 11... Never mind what this place must feel like to them in comparison with a lively, bright themed resort such as the Values... I personally could not stand it, far too dark for my own taste, everything just had too much of a relaxed feel. Not the type of thing our family prefers... You are really stuck because both your kids have very different opinions and both resorts are soo very different... ASM is loud, happening, bright, large fun icons, loud fun pool areas, (which many people are looking to escape but not us, we love it, maybe people are trying to escape us :rotfl2:)... AKL was beautiful but perhaps something I would choose if I need more of a tranquil vacation.... Others will say the parks are loud and crazy enough and look forward to the tranquility AKL provides but not us!!! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Talk with the kids some more, hopefully you guys can find a happy medium:goodvibes

Thanks for the input everyone.

I'm sure that is what my oldest means when he says its to 'adult'. We stayed at the CBR last time. I thought it was quite and relaxing after a day at the park. My youngest was fine there, in fact he says we should stay there again. Come to find out my oldest seems to remember having to be quite all the time, maybe that is why I liked it so much ;)

So I guess now the questions is... what about other resorts? Can anyone recommend a place that my teens would feel welcome and yet not like they have to tip toe around. Or at least tell me that 'being quite' is not a big deal at the AKL.

If both of your sons were ok with the CBR, why fret about another resort? I'd book it and be done. Our DD and DS grew up in the ASMo world and still request it even though they're now in their 20's:thumbsup2:thumbsup2I bring along my bedside sound machine and never hear a thing outside the door. Maybe your older son remembers being told to be quiet all the time, vs doing anything that was really noisy. I don't sense he would do anything out of the ordinary:scratchinand as long as there isn't loud volume of TV or music after 10-10:30 at night (out of respect for the families with small children who are probably in bed) he should be fine. He can always stay in the main lodge or by the pool until they close if he wants a bit of noise;);)

I don't remember him having to be quite at all - My kids aren't really the rowdy type. After spending all day at the parks I can't see them wanting to do anything other than sleep and get ready for the next park. But I'm an adult so I don't know anything ;) Hes 16 now and disagrees with everything I say and wants the opposite of what ever his brother wants. Its kinda hard to plan things with him.

I wanted something different than the CBR. I thought the music resort would be fun and exciting. At this point I'm thinking of leaving my oldest home with my parents and just taking my youngest with me.

Wilderness lodge also has bunk bed rooms. My older kids (11 and 9 at the time) loved the resort. The boat to the mk and cr is also a huge benefit.

So I guess now the questions is... what about other resorts? Can anyone recommend a place that my teens would feel welcome and yet not like they have to tip toe around. Or at least tell me that 'being quite' is not a big deal at the AKL.

I'll second the suggestion of the WL. It is usually the same price as the AKL, it has bunk bed rooms, and it is very kid friendly. The boat to MK is very convenient. There is also a boat to CR and Ft Wilderness. Roaring Forks is a nice counter service restaurant.

Oh meant to add that although wl may seem quiet and relaxing just hang out around whispering canyon for a bit and they will see that noise is ok lol. Our room overlooked the lobby and we could hear "ketchup" from our room (didn't bother us). Also the geyser is fun to watch, especially if you happen to be on a boat near it when it goes off. And there are normally kids running around the lobby looking for hidden mickeys (they have a scavenger hunt)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter