Disney's ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be staying AKL for the first time of over 30 years staying on Disney property for two nights May 11 and 12. I drive down from Georgia and can't seem to find any info. on the parking there. I usually just self park, I can't tell from any of the maps I've been able to find what the distance is from the parking lot to the lodge. I'll be staying in a standard room in the lodge so I'm assuming my view isn't going to be too great but I figure it doesn't matter since I can wander around the hotel to get a view. Also, has anyone done the wine tasting they offer? I've had a few African wines and that sounds like it might be a fun thing to do.

Congrats on your booking. Here's a link to a picture which will give you a little insight to where things are....http://allears.net/acc/ResortMaps/AKL.pdf Your standard room may get you a pool view too ( just so you know ). & that 1st wing on the Giraffe trail will be somewhat close to the parking lot.

Here's a smaller one of just the resort part.http://allears.net/acc/aklmap.jpg

Welcome aboard. Aladora.... You've got the 1st two steps done....Those are the hardest..Picking the resort & jumping on here ( Disboards ). Actually there is a lot of things you have to do, but this time is actually the fun time. All the planning & replanning, & changing, & stuff, is nerve racking but will make the time go by. You definitely will notice a HUGE difference in how you tour here as opposed to your familiar DLR. Dining ressies, need to be secured at 180 days prior. ( Or at least the hard to get ones:thumbsup2) FP+ ressies get made at 60 days out too..No Traditional paper fp's anymore.

It sounds like a lot, but it's worth it.... And AKL, WoW you couldn't have picked a better spot..This place is A M A Z I N G !. You actually feel like your on a secluded vacation from your vacation at times.

Have a great trip.

Thanks for the welcome! I've been on the Disboards since mid 2011 but I've kept to the Disneyland, disAbilities and Canadian boards...this is my first real foray into the rest of the sections! :faint:

I am still reeling from the idea that I will have to know where we will want to eat 180 days in advance, most of our DL trips were planned in less time than that and we once went from the idea of "hey, I miss DL, let's go back" to actually landing in Anaheim in 22 days. We could have done it faster but we wanted to get there for the first day of Hallowe'en time.

I am sure I will have tons of questions but I'll try and spread them out over the next 9 months so I don't get too annoying!

My biggest question here is about room location and requests. We rented points to get a standard studio at Jambo House. We have a soon to be 10 year old who is autistic so there is a chance we will go back to the room during the day to let him chill out if things get overwhelming at the parks. Given that I would rather not walk for miles to get from the lobby to the room, are there any specific requests I can ask the DVC member to make on our behalf about room location? We just got back a few weeks ago from a wonderful stay at the Grand Californian but our room was almost as far away from the elevators as possible, it was a fair hike to do multiple times a day!

tl;dr
Can we get a room fairly close to the lobby and/or elevator?

Thanks for the welcome! I've been on the Disboards since mid 2011 but I've kept to the Disneyland, disAbilities and Canadian boards...this is my first real foray into the rest of the sections! :faint:

I am still reeling from the idea that I will have to know where we will want to eat 180 days in advance, most of our DL trips were planned in less time than that and we once went from the idea of "hey, I miss DL, let's go back" to actually landing in Anaheim in 22 days. We could have done it faster but we wanted to get there for the first day of Hallowe'en time.

I am sure I will have tons of questions but I'll try and spread them out over the next 9 months so I don't get too annoying!

My biggest question here is about room location and requests. We rented points to get a standard studio at Jambo House. We have a soon to be 10 year old who is autistic so there is a chance we will go back to the room during the day to let him chill out if things get overwhelming at the parks. Given that I would rather not walk for miles to get from the lobby to the room, are there any specific requests I can ask the DVC member to make on our behalf about room location? We just got back a few weeks ago from a wonderful stay at the Grand Californian but our room was almost as far away from the elevators as possible, it was a fair hike to do multiple times a day!

tl;dr
Can we get a room fairly close to the lobby and/or elevator?

1) If you click on the 2nd link from the other post, this map will give you a good idea of where you roughly will be. 1st off being that you rented points from DVC, you'll be on the 5th floor..That's the dedicated floor for DVC at this bldg. When we stayed at Jambo, we had a Value studio and were facing the pool right above JIKO's Restaurant, in the 1st POD bldg, on Giraffe trail. we were the 2nd room from were the pod ends and the 2nd one starts.. In between those 2 pods there is a stairwell/and elevators right there...Perfect for when you want to go to the pool, or going & returning from the parks too...It saves you from going all the way to the lobby and back down. I'd ask them to request Pool view nearest lobby and/or elevators:thumbsup2

2) We also stayed at GCV in Feb 2014.. We got the absolute best room..Studio on the top floor overlooking California Adventure.

Happy birthday Kirk

happy-birthday-giraffe.gif

.....that doesn't look much like my brother.....

.....his lashes aren't NEARLY that long. popcorn::

....JAMBO and :welcome: You'll find that we are a friendly [if not nutty] bunch....feel free to ask away!

....no, but my DS used the work-out equipment in the gym....he liked it; said it was very clean and surprisingly quiet.
.....I just read another post regarding the fitness center/spa....I'm guessing that it was quiet perhaps because of the time that my DS used the facilities....

I'm staying on points for the first time and just have some general questions about staying DVC versus hotel, which is all we've done in the past.

1. We're staying in a studio in Jambo House. When we arrive on DME, do they stop at both Kidani and Jambo?
2. Is there a different check-in area for DVC?
3. As a point renter, am I eligible for any DVC discounts anywhere? How about the free laundry tokens which I believe are meant for studio guests?

Anything else I should know about staying on rented points? I already know about housekeeping. Thanks all!

I'm staying on points for the first time and just have some general questions about staying DVC versus hotel, which is all we've done in the past.

1. We're staying in a studio in Jambo House. When we arrive on DME, do they stop at both Kidani and Jambo?
2. Is there a different check-in area for DVC?
3. As a point renter, am I eligible for any DVC discounts anywhere? How about the free laundry tokens which I believe are meant for studio guests?

Anything else I should know about staying on rented points? I already know about housekeeping. Thanks all!

1. I haven't taken DME, but I would assume it would stop at both Kidani and Jambo because each has its own check in area. I guess it's kind of like asking if MDE will stop at both the Yacht Club and the Beach Club. If you're staying at Jambo, I can't believe they would drop you off at Kidani and tell you to walk over.

2. No, for DVC you go to the same check in desk as people with non-DVC reservations.

3. No, DVC members have to show their DVC cards in order to get DVC discounts. And I have never heard anything about "laundry tokens," although I normally stay in a one-bedroom not a studio. Who told you there are "laundry tokens"?

Another thing to remember is that you cannot contact DVC member services yourself. The member from whom you are renting would have to contact member services for you. So if you want to specify a room location, for example, the member would have to do it for you.

3. No, DVC members have to show their DVC cards in order to get DVC discounts. And I have never heard anything about "laundry tokens," although I normally stay in a one-bedroom not a studio. Who told you there are "laundry tokens"?

I've read on various sites that laundry is free for DVC members, or those staying on DVC points. Since studios don't have washers and dryers, I've read you can go to the front desk and get tokens (maybe just quarters?) to use the laundry room rather than paying for it. Not a huge deal if this is dated information, just making sure I know as much as I can.

I've read on various sites that laundry is free for DVC members, or those staying on DVC points. Since studios don't have washers and dryers, I've read you can go to the front desk and get tokens (maybe just quarters?) to use the laundry room rather than paying for it. Not a huge deal if this is dated information, just making sure I know as much as I can.

There is a small laundry room on the 5th floor for use only by those staying in the DVC villas. It is free; the machines don't require tokens. Your "key" (Magic Band) will give you access to the room (which is located on Zebra Trail) just off the lobby.

There is a small laundry room on the 5th floor for use only by those staying in the DVC villas. It is free; the machines don't require tokens. Your "key" (Magic Band) will give you access to the room (which is located on Zebra Trail) just off the lobby.

What she said. I've never heard anything about tokens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter