AKL SV DVC or Standard AKL Room - which one to book?

Singinglizzie

DIS Veteran
We are 2 adult sisters traveling to WDW in the fall, each like having our own bed, and would like to stay at AKL. However, since AKL is expensive, I am looking into renting DVC points. There is availability for a Savanah view room during our dates that is $25.00 less per night than a standard room view, but that means one of us gets the sofa bed? I'm not sure which to book? The reservation thru WDW can be cancelled if we change our minds? Which room would you book and why? Thanks.

We are 2 adult sisters traveling to WDW in the fall, each like having our own bed, and would like to stay at AKL. However, since AKL is expensive, I am looking into renting DVC points. There is availability for a Savanah view room during our dates that is $25.00 less per night than a standard room view, but that means one of us gets the sofa bed? I'm not sure which to book? The reservation thru WDW can be cancelled if we change our minds? Which room would you book and why? Thanks.

Yes, with DVC studio there will be one bed and a (comfortable to me) sofa bed. Yes, the reservation thru WDW can be cancelled within their criteria.

A SV view is likely much nicer than standard view, but it depends. Personally I like the pool view rooms best at AKL for the central location.

If I was going to rent points (which I would not do except from a trusted source) I would share the bed or take turns bed one night sofa bed the next night if saving $ was the priority, or book standard view directly with WDW if separate beds and ability to cancel was the priority. Good luck!

Yes the DVC studios have one queen bed and one double sofa bed...so if you want to avoid a pullout sofa you would want to go with the standard room. The DVC studios also have a kitchenette with a microwave, toaster, coffee maker, small fridge and sink.

Also note that via DVC rental, your purchase is final and cannot be canceled or refunded.

You also don't get daily mousekeeping with DVC point reservations.

I'd go for the DVC. The sofa bed wasn't uncomfortable and it's give you the full AKL experience seeing animals from your room. Plus, it's cheaper.

I was at AKL for our very first visit on 1/23/16 to 1/29/16 and booked a standard AKL room. During check in, the front desk asked for my ID to check in. I slipped a $50 underneath my driver's license to get a "free upgrade" to a savanna room. He nodded and searched through his computer. He said that there weren't any Savanna rooms available (yeah, right) but the best he could do was to get us near, close to Kidani's savanna. And returned my driver's license with the $50 bill intact.

My initial thoughts were, "Why didn't he take the $50?" and "Oh, no, we're going to be staring at a parking garage all week."

We got to the room (#4228) and we had a fantastic view of the savanna, giraffes, zebras, wildebeests, antelopes, right from the balcony! Didn't have to pay the savanna room rate at all. We did go during late January, one of the latest times of the year and i'm sure that helped us get a savanna room. Good luck with your decision!

I was at AKL for our very first visit on 1/23/16 to 1/29/16 and booked a standard AKL room. During check in, the front desk asked for my ID to check in. I slipped a $50 underneath my driver's license to get a "free upgrade" to a savanna room. He nodded and searched through his computer. He said that there weren't any Savanna rooms available (yeah, right) but the best he could do was to get us near, close to Kidani's savanna. And returned my driver's license with the $50 bill intact.

My initial thoughts were, "Why didn't he take the $50?"

Because he could have lost his job if he did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter