AKL Stupid Question

TinkerBelle920

DIS Veteran
I hear a lot of people saying that the animals do not come out in the morning until after 9am. Is this because they are kep elsewhere during the night or do they just seem to be most active aorund that time. Wondering if the savannahs are empty prior to 9am

Not a stupid question at all. The animals will be around before 9am. In fact we would see them at all hours. But 9 am is a big because that is one of the feeding times. That is when you will see a lot of movement.

We also saw feeding around 3/4pm and 10 pm.

When I stayed at AKV Kidani last June we never saw any animals when we got up in the morning. I heard they take them into the barns for checks early in the morning. We did see some out late at night, so they don't take them in after dark.

We were just there in November and we found that the animals "disappeared" from the savannah between 9 and 11 in the morning for feeding and maintenance of the grounds. They were out prior to 9 and it was always a lot of fun to watch them return. There is nothing better than watching5 giraffes parade by your balcony. :cool1:

When we stayed at Jambo in June 2009, a CM told us that the animals usually leave the savannas around 9:00 AM and return to their holding areas for a couple hours. The animal keepers use this time to check the status of the animals. Then, around noon, the animals are back on the savannas. Disney purposely picked the 9:00 Am - Noon time frame because guests usually are at the parks in the morning and return to AKL around lunchtime. Even though some animals leave the savanna around that time, there always seemed to be a few animals that adhered to their own schedules. By the way, animals can be seen even at night. There is a night viewing station at Jambo staffed by CMs that have night vision goggles for guests to use. There may be a night viewing area at Kidani, but I don't know for sure. We enjoyed our stay at AKL so much that we added 100 AKV points to our DVC account.

My info is a few years old but when we went on the sunrise safari a few years ago the guide told us that the animals leave the savannas for 2 hours to get checked over by the vets, get their vitamins, etc. At that time they rotated though the different savannas, with Uzima at 6:30, Sunset at 8:30 and Arusha at 11:30. That must be different now, I know they have built a new barn since we have been there. They are definitely out the rest of the time.

ETA: I see from my sig that was 5 years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!