AKL or WL for surprise?

sjv919

Mouseketeer
So I'm just looking for some opinions. We are heading to Disney in August (just two adults) to celebrate our engagement. We are currently booked at POR, where we usually stay, but I want to upgrade and surprise her with a deluxe instead.

Monorail resorts are completely out of budget, I already priced those out lol, but WL still has a great location being just a boat ride away from MK, we both have always wanted to stay there and find reasons such as dining to go, and it's not going to completely break the bank. The other one I thought of was AKL. We stayed here before and absolutely loved it and talked about wanting to stay longer, but it was only a splurge night before a weekend at POR. The location isn't great but the resort is beautiful and we got the best customer service we've basically ever had over something trivial. We love the theming at both which makes things even harder!

If it makes a difference, we do use the resort we stay at as more than just a place to crash at night. We rope drop mornings then spend the hottest part of the afternoon napping or watching a movie in our room or using the resort pool before we head back out for dinner and another park.

That was way longer than I had intended...sorry!!! Lol

If you haven't stayed at WL, by all means, give it a try. I have stayed there 3 times and it's one of my favs!!!

So I'm just looking for some opinions. We are heading to Disney in August (just two adults) to celebrate our engagement. We are currently booked at POR, where we usually stay, but I want to upgrade and surprise her with a deluxe instead.

Monorail resorts are completely out of budget, I already priced those out lol, but WL still has a great location being just a boat ride away from MK, we both have always wanted to stay there and find reasons such as dining to go, and it's not going to completely break the bank. The other one I thought of was AKL. We stayed here before and absolutely loved it and talked about wanting to stay longer, but it was only a splurge night before a weekend at POR. The location isn't great but the resort is beautiful and we got the best customer service we've basically ever had over something trivial. We love the theming at both which makes things even harder!

If it makes a difference, we do use the resort we stay at as more than just a place to crash at night. We rope drop mornings then spend the hottest part of the afternoon napping or watching a movie in our room or using the resort pool before we head back out for dinner and another park.

That was way longer than I had intended...sorry!!! Lol

Congratulations on your engagement. I agree with the pp that I would try the WL if you've never stayed there. The WL is very similar to AKL as the same architect designed both, but they each provide a different and unique experience. We love the isolation of AKL as it's very peaceful and quiet (IMO), but we also love the WL for the close proximity to MK, along with the beautiful & relaxing atmosphere of the resort. It's also nice having a variety of great dining options close by at the CR, Poly & GF. Good luck deciding, although I'm sure you'll have a great trip no matter which one you choose :wizard:.

We have stayed at both. WL is a great location but given the choice, I would choose AKL. It is a destination by itself.

Congratulations on your engagement. I agree with the pp that I would try the WL if you've never stayed there. The WL is very similar to AKL as the same architect designed both, but they each provide a different and unique experience. We love the isolation of AKL as it's very peaceful and quiet (IMO), but we also love the WL for the close proximity to MK, along with the beautiful & relaxing atmosphere of the resort. It's also nice having a variety of great dining options close by at the CR, Poly & GF. Good luck deciding, although I'm sure you'll have a great trip no matter which one you choose :wizard:.

I agree that the WL would be perfect for your surprise. The additional dining options that Mickeynut1 suggested are really nice and easy to get to. If dining at the CR or FW, you can take a boat there directly. If dining at the Poly or GF you can take a boat to either the CR or the MK and hop on the resort monorail. Easy and fun!

Congrats on your engagement! I have stayed at both and personally like AKL better. While both are designed by the same architect, they are still very different. Both resorts have great restaurants... AKL with Sanaa, Jiko, and Boma. WL has Artist Point and Whispering Canyon. However, since you haven't stayed at the WL yet, it would be a nice change. Plus, like PP said, you would have easy access to the monorail resorts to either eat at or simply explore.

Those are my two favorite resorts! Just back from WL! Since this is s celebratory trip, you want it to be unique, so I'd pick Wilderness. You will always remember that your first stay there was for your engagement.

Grab some drinks from The Territory Lounge and head down to the beach to watch the water pageant for a romantic evening. Dine at Artist Point. Soak in the theming!

Congratulations. We just stayed at the WL - and we absolutely loved it. Everyone that worked there was lovely. The grounds are beautiful. We had a room overlooking the pool, the lake and the geyser. We absolutely loved it and the rides to the parks was not long. I would do the WL.

We have done AKL and absolutely loved it, we have not tried WL as of yet and that is why we are checking in on 10/31 for the first time I enjoy trying different resorts, but that's just me. Have a wonderful trip

WL! I love the ferry and you can't beat the location to MK! I love, love WL! Congrats!

WL is our favorite non monorail resort (we will 9/10 be at the GF). Wilderness Lodge has a great pool, amazing theme, cozy atmosphere, good on site dinning (AP). With decent transportation. We also happen to prefer the MK resort area and we are a younger couple with out any kids yet like yourselves.

Another vote for WL , love the lobby, pool, QS and the atmosphere. Also love the boat ride to the CR to get the monorail or to get to MK. Nice to relax on the beach as well! Congratulations and have a wonderful trip!

I also would say WL. We stayed there last time and it was great! We really liked WCC for breakfast and the boat was wonderful transportation to visit the other resorts and MK.

Compare prices and room availability, too. I just booked AKL standard view for $205 a night for the summer. That was cheaper than many of the available moderate rooms, and it was about $70 cheaper per night than the available rooms at WL. AK had pool view for $235. That will save money over WL that you could spend on a nice dinner or two.

Only issue with AK is convenience. It is definitely more time consuming to get back to AKL from MK or Epcot in the afternoon than it is to get back to WL.

I would definitely choose the WL, especially since you have not stayed there. I like the setting on Bay Lake and the boat to MK at the WL. Easy access to the monorail by boat as well. I love the WL!!!

Clearly there is no shortage of opinions around here ; ) We love both resorts and you truly can't go wrong with either. Based on what you said and looking initially for a monorail resort, WL is definitely the next best thing. Not only is there the boat to MK, but also one that can take you to Fort Wilderness and the Contemporary, which can be very convenient for dining

We also enjoy getting up early, enjoying the parks and then heading back to our resort in the afternoon to enjoy the resort and rest before heading back out later. I LOVE the WL for this. Its easy and convenient to get back to your resort during the day. We even like taking the EPCOT monorail to the TTC and then the monorail to MK before getting the boat over to WL. It probably (almost definitely) takes longer than the bus but we find it so much more relaxing than taking the bus and it seems more like you are still on the rides ;-)

ETA - we have been back and forth 100 times on where to stay during our trip next spring. After much back and forth I think we have decided on a split stay between WL and Poly. We considered AKL because I love the theming but decided its just too far away from everything we want to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter