AKL or POR? Advice needed

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Fantaluminishes, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Fantaluminishes

Fantaluminishes To all who come to this happy place, welcome!

I have booked Animal Kingdom Lodge (pool view) for the first four nights of my September trip. The last five nights will be an Wilderness lodge. I'm thinking about extending the first half to five nights as well. I can pay an extra night at AKL, or switch my resort to POR (king bed) for the same price as my original 4 night AKL reservation.

I stayed at POR last year and enjoyed it quite a bit. I've never stayed at any deluxe WDW property. Would I regret switching to POR? Or should I just pay the extra $229 to extend a night at AKL. Also, should I rent a care if I'm staying at AKL. I know it's remote, but was sort of planning to do just Disney transportation this time around.

All advice is welcome. :)

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. goofyredraider

goofyredraider DIS Veteran

IMO, AKL blows POR out of the water...and I adore POR. There is truly nothing like AKL- the culture, experiences, vibe there is just amazing!

4. BrdwayBoy

BrdwayBoy "I know now that theatre saved my life." - S. Stro

I have to agree. AKL is really incredible. I'd say stay here; especially since you've already stayed at POR.

5. Babsy

Babsy DIS Veteran

AKL is so great!! I would definitely stay there.

Disney buses are pretty good, so you don't really need a car unless you are planning to go to other resorts or places outside WDW.

6. Belleandtinker

Belleandtinker DIS Veteran

AKL hands down. The theming and animals make it. Our DS loved the giraffes. He named one sleepy because it slept near our room every night in the same place. My son thought it was so cool to eat breakfast and snacks on the balacony with the animals.

7. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

I would pay the extra and add the night at AKL. We've never stayed at POR, but we loved AKL and we loved our pool view room. As far as transportation, everyone's opinion is different, but we found the buses to be fine. AKL is out away from everything, but since the buses only go to Kidani and AKL, there is no sharing with any other resort(s). Good luck deciding, but I don't think you'd regret paying a little extra for AKL :).

8. Fantaluminishes

Fantaluminishes To all who come to this happy place, welcome!

Thanks everybody for the responses. I'm still deciding on this. I want to extend the AKL stay. I guess I'm going through buyer's remorse because my original plan was to spend 7 nights at POP. Now I'm at 9 nights split with AKL and WL, and thinking of adding a 10th night. I already changed my flights, so I have to make a decision on the resort. Pretty sure I'm gonna go with adding the AKL night.

This transportation thing is bothering me. I know AKL is out of the way. I promised myself I wasn't going to cram too much into this trip. I just don't want to waste a bunch of time on busses and/or waiting for them.