AKL LITE unofficial FAQ thread#10 - I believe that's known as a 'Jambo Dozen'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just so excited to be going back in 9 days! Can't wait for a zebra dome and dinner at Jiko. Yum!

Just wondering, since we've never stayed at a deluxe before, do people decorate their doors or balconies or anything? We've done windows and seen doors done at values and mods, but I didn't know if it was allowed or if it was tacky to do something at AKL.

Don't know if I've ever seen doors decorated at AKL. Room access is from an inside corridor so fewer people would see. There are no windows near he doors like at Values and most of the Mods I've seen. I know yo cannot hang anything from a balcony on savannah view rooms. Not sure about the others but I'm guessing not.

Just wondering, since we've never stayed at a deluxe before, do people decorate their doors or balconies or anything? We've done windows and seen doors done at values and mods, but I didn't know if it was allowed or if it was tacky to do something at AKL.

On top of what Minnie said, every door has an African shield on it, the patterns and colors of which are unique and different from every other door. So you can say they already come pre-decorated!! :)

Don't know if I've ever seen doors decorated at AKL. Room access is from an inside corridor so fewer people would see. There are no windows near he doors like at Values and most of the Mods I've seen. I know yo cannot hang anything from a balcony on savannah view rooms. Not sure about the others but I'm guessing not.

....you definitely cannot hang antything on your balcony - at least the savannah-view ones, but that is for the safety of the animals....just as balloons and straws are not allowed either.

Why?
Not 'why would you ask the question?!
'Why would you decorate your door or window?'

Haven't stayed at a moderate in awhile, 4 years?, but don't remember seeing it done.

Can you change my Feb tag on 'the list'? I may have forgotten to sign up for the half marathon. Oops. Still doing WDW just not running.

Why?
Not 'why would you ask the question?!
'Why would you decorate your door or window?'

Haven't stayed at a moderate in awhile, 4 years?, but don't remember seeing it done.

Can you change my Feb tag on 'the list'? I may have forgotten to sign up for the half marathon. Oops. Still doing WDW just not running.

We've seen it done around holidays and for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Valentine's Day, Veteran's Day, birthday or annivesary, first trip, etc., etc. Just for whatever someone may be celebrating and for fun!
DS will be competing in state band competition the day before we leave, and we're really celebrating him graduating in 2014 too, so I thought it might be a nice touch for him to have something up. I wouldn't dream of hanging something over the balcony where an animal might get it- more like on the balcony door or something. If everyone says no then I won't.

We are planning our first AKL trip in February. We are getting a Pool View Room with Bunk beds We have been to WDW several times over the last 17 years but have not been since Spring of 2011 due to moving out of state and buying a new house. So... we have always stayed at the Values but wanted to do something special this time. We have the money to do it but I'm having a hard time spending that much extra. convince me it's worth it. Here are my reasons so far, the pools, the bunk beds and Victoria Falls bar. We went to Boma once, just us adults and went to Victoria Falls. It seems so grown up and I'm looking forward to having a couple of kid free evenings in the lounge. We are not party animals and do pretty much everything with our kids but once in awhile we like to go out for a cocktail and they'll be just as happy to be without us for a short while. Add that I turn 50 next year and our DD turns 14.

We've seen it done around holidays and for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Valentine's Day, Veteran's Day, birthday or annivesary, first trip, etc., etc. Just for whatever someone may be celebrating and for fun!
DS will be competing in state band competition the day before we leave, and we're really celebrating him graduating in 2014 too, so I thought it might be a nice touch for him to have something up. I wouldn't dream of hanging something over the balcony where an animal might get it- more like on the balcony door or something. If everyone says no then I won't.

I think the inside of the balcony doors would be fine! Congrats and good luck to him.

Haven't stayed at AKL since 2010 and we had a Savannah view room/ 2 queen beds. Thinking about a split stay next August and considering AKL again, but this time DD's want the bunk beds as they're sick of sharing a bed whle on vacation. My question is: How big are those bunk beds? Do they fit an adult? My oldest is very petite so not worried about her, but my youngest is 5' 5"...will she fit?

Haven't stayed at AKL since 2010 and we had a Savannah view room/ 2 queen beds. Thinking about a split stay next August and considering AKL again, but this time DD's want the bunk beds as they're sick of sharing a bed whle on vacation. My question is: How big are those bunk beds? Do they fit an adult? My oldest is very petite so not worried about her, but my youngest is 5' 5"...will she fit?

I'm pretty sure the bunk beds are just a standard size twin bed. I'm sure she will fit bin 5'3 and I fit pretty comfortably in a twin.

....they should be able to fit - my teenaged [at the time] DSs slept in them and they were long enough...my DS was 5'7" at the time...

I'm pretty sure the bunk beds are just a standard size twin bed. I'm sure she will fit bin 5'3 and I fit pretty comfortably in a twin.

....they should be able to fit - my teenaged [at the time] DSs slept in them and they were long enough...my DS was 5'7" at the time...

Thank you both... It's definitely worth us considering this option as we are sick of hearing the two of them argue about who's hogging the bed more. At home they each have their own room with full size beds so when we go away, it's always a battle. Now, are the rooms with bunks any smaller than the regular 2 queen rooms or are they about the same?

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but is Kidani just for DVC? :rolleyes:

My reservation doesn't specify Kidani or Jambo house. :confused3

We are 20 days away!!! :woohoo:

:::EDIT::: I got my question answered. Now I'll go crawl back into a corner. :tiptoe:

Does the calendar of activities stay the same each month or does it change? If it changes where could I find the current one to plan our off day?

Just realized that I am not on the calendar.

Arriving 11/6 departing 11/11

this is a Girls trip.

We also just booked the sunrise tour and was wondering if others who have done this could tell us how about it please.

Judy (the year of Disney) :rotfl2:
11/12 BW CL
12/12 CR
3/13 AKL
5/13 BC CL
10/13 BW CL
11/13 AKL CL

We did the Sunrise Safari at the end of September. We had planned 2 days at AK and the Safari was on our second AK day. It was nice, but I do not know that we would do it again. I think we saw better views of the animals when we went on the safari ride the first day. We did see some animals pretty close to the truck, but many animals were not out on the savannah yet. (That is not anyone's fault, I know they cannot make the animals be in the prime locations just for our safari). However, we felt like it was our guide's first time doing the Safari. He did not seem very knowledgeable. The Safari itself took about 45 minutes. The breakfast was good. There was an omelet station, scrambled eggs, banana french toast, ham, bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy, cheese grits, oatmeal, fruit and muffins. I may have left something out. Overall, it was fine. On the other hand, we had a fabulous stay at AKL CL. The CL staff was awesome, the view from our room was great. We loved it so much we booked a bounceback reservation for Sept 2014 and another stay for May 2014.

We did the Sunrise Safari at the end of September. We had planned 2 days at AK and the Safari was on our second AK day. It was nice, but I do not know that we would do it again. I think we saw better views of the animals when we went on the safari ride the first day. We did see some animals pretty close to the truck, but many animals were not out on the savannah yet. (That is not anyone's fault, I know they cannot make the animals be in the prime locations just for our safari). However, we felt like it was our guide's first time doing the Safari. He did not seem very knowledgeable. The Safari itself took about 45 minutes. The breakfast was good. There was an omelet station, scrambled eggs, banana french toast, ham, bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy, cheese grits, oatmeal, fruit and muffins. I may have left something out. Overall, it was fine. On the other hand, we had a fabulous stay at AKL CL. The CL staff was awesome, the view from our room was great. We loved it so much we booked a bounceback reservation for Sept 2014 and another stay for May 2014.

Thank you for the infomation

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter