AKL has won my heart. Just back review! *Updated with pics page 3.

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by IWISHFORDISNEY, Aug 3, 2006.

1. IWISHFORDISNEY

IWISHFORDISNEY <font color=darkorchid>Cant get enough of the mous

We just returned from a short visit (3 days) at AKL while attending to some business in Florida. Can I just say that I love this hotel. The first time I stayed here I wasnt overly impressed due to the fact that we were just checking in a day prior to our ressies at BWV 1 BDR. This time I have a totally different opinion. AKL ....HAS WON MY HEART. From the moment of check in things were magical. The CM at the front desk Michael was very attentive to me and the baby. He showered us with cute little gifts and upgraded our room to a deluxe pool view. :thumbsup2 This guy was the best. The room was in perfect condition and had an awesome view of the pool. We ate at Boma. The greeters and waitstaff were awesome to my family. They played with the baby (18 months) while they took us through the buffet explaining all the items. The food was nothing short of outstanding and no one said a peep when my son at 10 blueberry tarts and deemed them to be the best thing he has ever had in his life. The animal viewing area was just to the left of my door and we could have our coffee and watch the zebra and giraffe every morning. DS esp. liked this part. The CM's at Arusha rock were great and went over every animal and told us little facts. Very cool. THE BUSES WERE GREAT!!!! :thumbsup2 Very quick and efficient. We are used to sharing buses when we stay at BC or BWV and this was wonderful not to share a bus with 4 resorts. 10 minute wait tops and quick to and from since they were only picking up guests at that resort. The food court was great and moved quickly. The pool was a zero entry pool and just amazing. Our son could run in and out and we sat right there with him. The frozen drinks were fabulous at the pool bar. The Zawadi market place has a large assortment of goods and souvineers. We didnt eat at Jiko but a few people said it was very good. The lobby was impressive and had comfy furniture. The firepit had some kind of story telling at night with these big rocking chairs to sit in. The playground was a big hit with the little one and mom and dad took turns enjoying the hot tub while he was playing. There is a cool area just across from the far hot tub where the kids can feed the flamingo. Also if you participate in activities you get these beads (to make a necklace with I think). We had great fun and I would highly suggest the AKL to anyone with children. We could have stayed here all week and never even visited a park. This place has it all. We loved it so much we switched our ressie to here in November. :cool1:

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Leota

Leota DIS Veteran

I loved our 2 stays at AKL. I wouldn't mind adding a night or two there in Nov.
    Glad you loved it as much as we did!

4. Simba's Mom

Simba's Mom <font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha

Thanks for the report-I can't wait to try out AKL. Tell me more about the frozen drinks you had-what were they called? What was in them? Always like to try new drinks at WDW.

5. IWISHFORDISNEY

Honestly I am pretty plain we had pina coladas and strawberry daq's nothing to exciting for me, DH did have some banana/coconut thingy that was really good though.

6. purpliequeen

purpliequeen DIS Veteran

Thank you so much! I was looking for something recent like this. I'm glad you had a good time. We're going to be there so soon! How crowded was it? How was the weather while you were there?

Raina

7. IWISHFORDISNEY

The resort wasnt overly crowded. We got lounge chairs right next to the pool. Had the hot tub to myself most times. Weather was sunny and hot 88-90 each day. Occasional afternoon sprinkle. Typical FL weather. The place was a nice treat compared to the crowds at the BC and BW. :thumbsup2

8. Allensfan

Allensfan Mouseketeer

I loved your post!!! :lovestruc

I am going in Sept and I 'want' it to be wonderful and when I read things like this I get all excited!!! Sounds like you got great service from the get-go...did you do anything different than normal or are they always this wonderful??

Margaret

9. klmall

klmall aka Kathy DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Glad your second visit was so nice! Sometimes things work out just right!

10. pilferk

pilferk <font color=red>Jambo Wildbunch Gang<br><font colo

We did a 14 day trip back in Sept/Oct of '01 and we stayed at AKL in a deluxe savannah view room with king bed. It ranks as our favorite Disney resort, of all the resorts we've stayed at so far.

Those that have stayed at AKL will know what I mean when I say this but...the SMELL that greets you when you walk in the door is just amazing. And from that moment on the resort never failed to impress us. The food (Jiko's, Bomas, AND Mara's) was amazing. The pool was great. The hot tubs were great. The room was perfect. We couldn't believe we could have our morning coffee and breakfast at a table out on our balcony watching the giraffe and ankola cattle eat THEIR breakfast. It was almost surreal. We spent 2 days of our 14 days just exploring the resort, seeing all the savannahs, checking out all the art "exhibits" in the main lobby and the hallways, talking to the Cultural CM's and generally having a grand time.

We haven't stayed there since....but we return every trip for, at least, a meal at Boma's. And once the kids are a bit older (that monorail loop is just too compelling with little wee ones) I'm sure we'll go back. My wife and I talk about it every time we start to plan a trip or I have to go for a conference. Heck, if they'd open a DVC wing at AKL....we'd buy into it in about 3 seconds.

11. SuAnne

SuAnne Mouseketeer

Glad you had a great stay! Can you tell me what your room number was. Sounds like a great location. We have a poolview room booked for our trip in 3 weeks. Thanks :goodvibes

12. StephSalyer

StephSalyer Mouseketeer

Thanks for all of the great information. I have always wanted to stay here. Last night my husband surprised me with a week-end getaway to AKL for my birthday. I am so excited and cant wait to go!! :cheer2:

13. heather360

heather360 Mouseketeer

Thanks for the report. I'm really glad that you had such a nice time. I would love to stay at AKL on the next vacation. It just seems so magical to me.

Can you tell me what trail your were on (Zebra or Giraffe)? Also, if you thought that would be the best location to request? Thanks

14. Phalene

Phalene Mouseketeer

It sounds like a magical stay! I'm looking forward to our upcoming trip there even more now!

15. pilferk

pilferk <font color=red>Jambo Wildbunch Gang<br><font colo

I'll have to check. It was on the 5th floor, along Zebra Trail (about 1/2 way down it, if I remember right), with an Arusha Savannah view. I want to say it was something like 5511 or 5514...I know it was near the elevators out in that area. I know we have a pic of the door at home, so I'll ask my wife to dig it out to double check the room number.

16. raven69david

raven69david I am a Superuser. Got a problem with that?!

:rotfl: :rotfl2: :lmao:

In Texas, those are winter temps. If that's the temperature when we're there in 3 weeks...it'll be a nice bonus. :wizard:

17. dnoyes

dnoyes DIS Veteran

I love the place too and I agree with you about the buses. I almost didn't stay there last year because of all the posts on these boards about Animal Kingdom being so far away from everything. Well, it is far away from everything IT'S IN AFRICA (that's what it feels like anyway) and not making 5 stops every time you get on a bus (CBR) more than makes up for any added distance you may have to travel.

Allensfan. We will be there Sept 15th for ten nights, when are you getting in?

18. DisneyDad in PA

DisneyDad in PA Beach Club Fan!!

Good to hear about the busses. That has been a concern of mine. We'll be at AKL from Sept. 16 to the 23rd for our first stay at a Disney resort and we are looking forward to it. I haven't been to Disney for almost 25 years.

19. richard_andmel

richard_andmel DIS Veteran

Of all of the different resorts I have stayed at I think the AKL transportation is the best. I can never figure out why it gets such negative comments. The AKL is our favorite resort.

20. newholidayx2

newholidayx2 <font color=green>Searching for the perfect tree<b

DS14 & I check into the AKL for 3nights 8/17-20 (in btwn VWL 8/12-17 and BCV 8/20-26). We're planning on hanging out at the resort and not going into the parks.
    Thanks for your review

21. te2077

te2077 Mouseketeer

we love akl too. this will be our second time staying there. at first i wasnt sure if we should switch to the poly. however i love the relaxing feeling when we come back from the parks. I loved reading your report. definately cant wait to be there now.