AKL experts

jockey

Runs for Wine!
I am trying to sort out resorts for my next trip and will be staying at AKL for 7 night. I have decided against a savannagh view room for a number of reasons and will be booking a standard room. Can anyone advise what trail to request. I would like to be near the lobby and not have a view of a brick wall- I hear they do exist!!

There are 3 savannahs at AKL, Sunset, Arusha, and Uzima, all have slightly different animal combinations - mainly due to some animal breeds not getting on with each other :)
Ostrich can only be found on the Sunset Savannah, Zebras are only located on the Arusha Savannah, Kudu are only found on the Uzima Savannah. Giraffes are on all 3.
We had a savannah room booked in Aug.03, and when we go to the room, it was on the corner of the building over looking the hot tub! YOu could just see the savannah off to one side! We marched straight back to reception and asked for a better view, and got one - so if you do get a bad view, make a polite fuss :)

We were top floor on Arusha - the views were stunning. Ask for a room reasonably higher up since you do see more.

We had ankole, giraffe, zebra, lots of birds and other antelope thingies (can't remember their names and am at work :blush: so can't look em up!). The AKL is a brilliant place, our fave Disney resort.

No matter what time - day or night - we went out on the balcony, there were always animals snuffling around.

The only slight downer was it was a fair distance from the pool, but it certainly wouldn't stop me asking for that room again (let me know if you want number, I'll look it up).

If you can get hold of a copy of the Unofficial Guide to WDW it has very detailed descriptions of good/bad rooms in all the WDW resorts. Doesn't even have to be a recent copy as the rooms don't tend to move.

Annie -was it a savannah or standard view you had? I was just going to book a standard but may go for a savannah. I would love the room number if you can remember it!!

Cheryluk- thanks for the tip- just off to find last years unoffical guide!!

http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/g_akl.htm

Here is a link to photos of the views from the standard rooms and more AKL photos.

The Ostrich Trail and the Giraffe Trail are the trails where the standard rooms are located. Actually all of the rooms on these trails are fairly close to the lobby. I have found the check-in desk to be very accomodating when I have asked for a room close to the lobby. The Giraffe trail is close to the pool and the restaurants, so that would be the preferred of the two.

You will love this resort! Be sure to visit the Savanna area off of the lobby after dark. There are animal experts there who will share their night-vision binoculars, so you can find the animals in the dark!

Take the free (yes, free!) hotel tour that is offered each day. You will learn a lot about African art and culture.

The busses assigned to the AKL are dedicated to that resort only, no stopping to pick up other resorts guests. At the parks, the bus stop for the AKL is the closest one, so your tired feet will thank you at the end of the day!

Enjoy this beautiful place, I can't wait to get back there! :sunny:

Thanks Eljay!! I know its over a year away but I do love to plan!!!

Can I ask something in this post, if you paid for deluxe savannah view rooms can you still be stuck in the corners of the hotel and if it’s deluxe and savannah is the view going to be good or is this just a way to make me think I am getting something better but just fleece a load of money out of me LOL ;)

By the way on Disney UK site I couldn’t find all the options you guys have asked for at all, I couldn’t even find a choice for a bunk bed or anything, only thing they had was a choice for connecting rooms as we booked 2 and even that’s not guaranteed

I suppose anything could happen Supercod, but I have stayed at the AKL 7 or 8 times and each time I have been assigned a nicer room than one that I had reserved. I guess it depends on the check-in person and on how full the hotel is. If you are unhappy with your rooms, don't be shy, politely ask to be given different rooms and I'm sure they will accomodate you. I have stayed in all of the WDW deluxe resorts and the AKL is the most accomodating and best run resort of all.

My only complaint is that you can't walk to the AK park from the resort, even though it is adjacent.
They should work on that. :sunny:

Jockey, I forgot to mention that the lobby level is the 3rd floor, so a lobby level room will afford you a very nice view, as long as it's not of a brick wall!

Some prefer the higher levels, but I personally like to avoid waiting for elevators. :sunny:

jockey said:
I am trying to sort out resorts for my next trip and will be staying at AKL for 7 night. I have decided against a savannagh view room for a number of reasons and will be booking a standard room. Can anyone advise what trail to request. I would like to be near the lobby and not have a view of a brick wall- I hear they do exist!!

The brick-wall views from standard rooms are on the third floor of the Giraffe trail so anything other than that should be better!

Don't want to raise false hopes but I've booked standard room at AKL three times and have gotten pool view twice (both on Giraffe trail) and savannah once (Uzima Savannah on Zebra trail) - all unsolicited! Mind you, I did request a smoking room and there are very few standard smoking rooms so maybe that helped!

Anyway, AKL is an awesome resort, no matter what type of room you have! Enjoy!

jockey said:
Annie -was it a savannah or standard view you had? I was just going to book a standard but may go for a savannah. I would love the room number if you can remember it!!

I'm so sorry for not replying - not been on much what with all our problems, but I've spent a couple of days now going through old paperwork ("my name's Annie, I'm a hoarder of all bits of paper" :blush: ;) ). Can't find the room number on anything, but I've got my AKL map given by reception when we checked in and we were on Kudu trail, 5th floor. I am pretty certain in my head the room was 5328, but they all looked good up there. It is a bit of a walk to the main lobby, restaurant and swimming pool, but that didn't bother us since the views more than made up for that.

There are relatively few standard view rooms. Unless the resort is almost sold out many (most?) people get complimentary upgrades.

Unless you have a mobility issue which requires a room near the lobby I wouldn't make any request and would hope for a complimentary upgrade.

Lewisc said:
There are relatively few standard view rooms. Unless the resort is almost sold out many (most?) people get complimentary upgrades.

Just to say I spent about 7 days (lucky for me only 20 mins to 60 mins at a time) at the Concierge desk I can confirm that I did hear at least 2 lots of people get a complementary upgrade without asking for it.

We also wanted a standard room and I specifically requested a room near the lobby. We were allocated a deluxe 5th floor room which was bang near the lobby and lifts (ideal for us) but had a "view" of the valet park and trees!! This wasnt a concern for us as being near the lobby was our number 1 priority but if you DO want a view avoid rooms 5101-5106.

I did ask about another room (on the concierge floor) but they wanted too much to upgrade, but did have non deluxe savannah views available for us (no extra charge), but they were miles away. One poor woman I got talking to said it took her 40 minutes to get to her room from the lobby (she was elderly and didnt walk too well). Being 5 months pregnant and with 2 very small children in tow, I stuck with our "crap view but near everything" room!!! The Savannahs left me cold to be honest and it wasnt something I wanted to look at for 2 weeks, but I realise Im in the very small minority about that!!

DH and i just came home on Monday from our trip - we had 1st few days on coast then up to Orlando and split AKL/ Poly/ Dolphin for last night. This is our 3rd time to AKL and is our favourite resort. We have gone Savannah view in the past, but only because of very good room only discounts - this time we had standard view. I was worried and prepared to upgrade if really bad, but we ended up on the 5th floor Giraffe trail room 5031 - it was only a couple of mins walk from the lobby and a quick lift ride. Very quiet room right at the end of the corridor - no noise or folk running up and down. Our room faced west and got sun all day ( when it put its hat on !! ) We looked out over trees and to be honest it was fine. We didn't miss Savannah view as we felt that by the time we got in, it was dark anyway and if we wanted to look at animals we only had to go to any of the vantage points.
You'll have a great time whatever you choose. Maybe you'll be lucky with an upgrade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter