AKL Artificial moonlight?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by jkh1978, Sep 2, 2010.

1. jkh1978

jkh1978 DIS Veteran

I read that there is artificial moonlight to make it look like a full moon at the AKL. What does that mean? I couldn't find anyone's images at night. Are the animals visible for the room balconies? We do plan to make use of the night vision goggles that they have one night, but can you see animals too with the naked eye?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. nurse.darcy

nurse.darcy DIS Veteran

They can be spotted at times. Its pretty cool. Especially when the zebras are wandering at night. They are the easiest to spot because of the white stripes. Oh and I love zebras anyway. . .lol.

4. Sienna

Sienna Mouseketeer

double post - sorry!

5. Sienna

Sienna Mouseketeer

If I remember correctly, there appeared to be some really low light on the savannahs at night. It's kindof hard to explain, I mean it was dark, but just enough light to where you could see the animals, especially if they moved. We saw giraffes mating one night. :rolleyes1

The night vision goggles are cool! :thumbsup2

6. OnlyDisney

OnlyDisney DIS Veteran

Can anyone use the night vision goggles; is there a charge? We're staying at Riverside but eating at Boma Nov. 29.

7. Sienna

Sienna Mouseketeer

They have a couple of employees with the night vision goggles out by one of the savannahs. There was not a charge, and I don't think they asked if we were hotel guests or not. I think just whoever walked up was welcome to use them!

8. OnlyDisney

OnlyDisney DIS Veteran

Thanks! Those night goggles sound really neat :goodvibes

9. donaldfan1

donaldfan1 Mouseketeer

looking forward to useing them :dance3:

10. vicki_c

vicki_c DIS Veteran

The artificial moon comes from the giant dome that surrounds all of WDW. :goodvibes

11. troynkasey

troynkasey DIS Veteran

We stayed there in June and there is an artificial moonlight aspect to the savannah. It's pretty neat because you don't really see any large lights or anything like that, but there is a very low light at night. Once your eyes adjust, you can see animals walking around. It is truely one of the most awesome things I've seen... If you want to go use the night vision goggles, go a little later on. At the beginning, it's pretty busy, but as time passes, it get slower...

12. CoffeeCup

CoffeeCup Mouseketeer

Seeing animals through the night goggles is a great experience, but I think seeing them under very subtle lighting is even more amazing. I couldn't believe it when I walked out on the balcony late one night and realized several zebras were standing there. I love seeing them during the day, but that night there was a foggy mist from an earlier rain shower and the coloring of the zebras blended in with the mist. It was breathtaking.