AirTran discontinuing service from Allentown, PA to Orlando :(

The_Princess's_Mommy

Mouseketeer
Sorry if there is another post about this...couldn't find anything.

AirTran is discontinuing service from ABE to MCO effective 8/12. I just tried to book flights for the fall, and this is what I got:

"Service will discontinue for Allentown, PA effective Sun, August 12, 2012. Please try your search again"

What a bummer! We were spoiled when both AirTran and Allegiant did the ABE-MCO leg. First we lost Allegiant, now it looks like AirTran too.

So for those who usually travel from ABE, what will you do now? Fly Allegiant to Sanford and drive to the world? Try a new airport other than ABE that will fly directly into MCO? Any input?

And let's all keep our *fingers crossed* that Allegiant will pick up the MCO leg again...

Yup. We had the same issue for late August. We booked on SW out of Philly for more money, plus costs more to park. I am so disappointed because ABE is close and convenient. From now on I have to compare prices for Philadelphia and Newark since they're both the same distance.

Here's the thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864719

I know, total bummer. My plan is to just use USAir or Delta with a layover from now on, to MCO. I'm so close to ABE, so for me, I'd rather have a layover than have to drive to PHL or EWR. ABE is just too convenient for me to switch to another airport.

I feel your pain. I don't want to drive to Philly or Newark - I am 5 minutes from ABE. I fly out of ABE because of the convenience. But - flights are double for December 2012 compared to what we paid in December 2011. I am really hoping they come down. Flights are over $400 each!

I priced local transport companies to see what they charge for a town car to Philly - $175 each way. So that's not an option.

If prices do not come down I will probably fly to Sanford. Round-trip town car transportation from Sanford to Disney is about $185 round trip.

I booked this route for June flights because it was the absolute cheapest around and it already appears that the flights I am on are pretty well occupied. ABE is a little far from me, but we have family in the area so we were planning on visiting them first.

Sorry for all the ABE folks. It must be great to fly out of your own backyard for cheaper flights then what you get our of Philly these days.

We could not get a recent return flight back to ABE, so we are flying out of Harrisburg next week, $89 each flight. The parking fee is only $59 a week too.

We have taken several charters from Avoca so this is the first with flying direct with Airtran. I think we had a direct with Jet blue in 1993 out of PHL, but the traffic delays are always a concern.

My DW and I are so disappointed that SW chose not to fly out of ABE once they
integrate with Air Tran. It was so convient to fly out of ABE. Philly is our next best option. Sanford and renting a car to Disney is too expensive.. We've never had a problem flying out of Philly and it is a short hour away from A-town. Parking fee is a pain however.
I think some airline will come in to replace Airtran soon....

Hopefully so. Harrisburg is actively working on finding another airline to offer nonstop flights on a daily basis to/from Orlando. Please see their website to indicate interest in keeping this service. Hopefully Lehigh Valley will also start working on this too.

Hi Danville! My brother was born there & my whole extended family is from Northumberland/Schuylkill County!

I emailed several execs at ABE & got the same reply, that they are actively looking for another carrier to replace AT. Direct Air and I think maybe Frontier were mentioned on our local news as potential candidates, but I'll believe it when I see it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter