Airtran/Departure times

DisneyAbsolutely

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone, I'm new to the boards but not new to Disney. This will be my third time :lovestruc

I am traveling for the first time with Airtran and this will be my first time traveling in the evening. Will this be a nightmare? I don't know anything about Airtran (though I have heard that their safety record has been good). I'm not too worried about safety but I'm worried about delayed flights being more common in the evening. Layover in Balt/DC for 1h14m. Will that be okay - and is that airport okay?

I was hoping to travel Jetblue but their rates weren't great and times were even worse. Airtran offered amazing times that we couldn't pass up. We'll be able to maximize our time which would be such a blessing!

Any advice? Thanks :)

We've flown Airtran at least a half a dozen times in the past 2 years, and have NEVER had any complaints. They've helped us get through unexpected deaths in the family, delays due to sickness, normal travel delays/weather, etc. We've had layovers in Baltimore several times (we fly out of Maine), and its a nice little airport. No issues there either.

I think you'll be just fine! :)

We've flown Airtran at least a half a dozen times in the past 2 years, and have NEVER had any complaints. They've helped us get through unexpected deaths in the family, delays due to sickness, normal travel delays/weather, etc. We've had layovers in Baltimore several times (we fly out of Maine), and its a nice little airport. No issues there either.

I think you'll be just fine! :)

We fly out of Maine, too!!! :) I'm so reassured that you've had no issues! Thanks!

You didn't mention when you are traveling. If you travel in the summer, it is very common to be delayed in the DC area during evening departures because of thunderstorms. I have been on late afternoon/evening flights out of Dulles a number of times in the summer when they briefly closed the airport due to storms. You are correct that later flights tend to be delayed more often than flights first thing in the morning.

No ones knows if your flight will be delayed or not. Some airlines will indicate on their websites the on time statistics for their flights (United does). I don't know about AirTran. If you are delayed, you will eventually get to your destination.

You didn't mention when you are traveling. If you travel in the summer, it is very common to be delayed in the DC area during evening departures because of thunderstorms. I have been on late afternoon/evening flights out of Dulles a number of times in the summer when they briefly closed the airport due to storms. You are correct that later flights tend to be delayed more often than flights first thing in the morning.

No ones knows if your flight will be delayed or not. Some airlines will indicate on their websites the on time statistics for their flights (United does). I don't know about AirTran. If you are delayed, you will eventually get to your destination.

Thanks. We played it pretty smart this year. We are going in mid May. Our flight departs around 6:00pm (on friday) and is scheduled to land around 11:00pm. If we do get delayed, we have it set up so that we don't really lose any "park time". We are excited about that. So I guess even if there are delays, barring the catastrophic, we will get there eventually and not lose much as a result. Nobody wants to be delayed but at least we have a better safety net than we did 5 years ago (nightmare!)

We had a 50 minute layover in Baltimore earlier this month and there wasn't any problem. This was our first time flying Air Tran and it was ok, no real problems.

Couple things I saw was they certainly rush to get everyone on the plane and away from the gate. I didn't think the seats were all that comfortable either. legroom was what you would expect but the seats themselves weren't good.

I would prefer to use Delta or JetBlue but the times didn't work out for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts