airline tickets?what are you doing?

huckster

DIS Veteran
We have not got tickets for 8/22 /2004 yet still watching prices . we fly out of flint mich airtran.. think they will go lower? or not because of gas pricing? i am so confused i am at $940.00 for 4 round trip now.. buy..? wait? i am so confused::yes::

Airline pricing is more complicated than Disney Cruise Line pricing. I would book what you have now. Will it go lower?, maybe but are you willing to risk that it may go MUCH higher because of fuel costs or who knows what???

Hey - a fellow cruiser! :wave2: :wave2:

We are also on the 8/22 cruise and I had the same problem as you. Prices started at $300 when I started looking; (from upstate NY) I finally booked a couple months ago at $233; fares are now in the $200 range but NOT the times I wanted.

That is one thing to consider - how important are flight times to you? You might find cheaper fares but it could be a red-eye; early morning etc.

If you haven't signed up for Travelocity http://www.travelocity.com/ it's free of charge and they will track fares for you and e-mail you when prices change.

By the way, we will have two girls (14 and 15) with us. What are the ages of your kids?

I know I'm not buying mine for 8/21 yet, but it's seeming like I should. If southwest serves your area and that's who you are flying with, then by all means book fast! Southwest books very quickly!

On the other hand, many of the travel sites offer lower prices as their travel seasons come closer to the end. For example, for our 12/14/03 sailing, we first kicked ourselves for not buying a three-way LAX-MCO-raleigh-LAX ticket for $440, but then found a ticket at three weeks out for $300 apiece. (We were visiting family afterwards).

So, seeing as August is the end of the summer season, I think we will try it out again and see what we get. For us, it's $275 rt right now, but I think we can swing $200. It CAN pay to wait!

goingbacksoon

I'm having the same issues. I've been looking at airfare for my parents (who are taking my kids on the cruise). They will be on the 7/24/04 Eastern. I have seen the prices go up and down like you would believe. First they were at $184 each. Then $224. Then Southwest had $145 and even $116!!! Now they are back up to about $200, unless of course you are flying in June and they are only $158!! I just can't figure it out. I think we will be waiting until late-May, early-June to book. I have a "feeling" there might be another drop for late summer fares.

Ahh...the airfare juggle. Airfares change like the wind. If you're looking at Southwest, I would book without hesitation because you can get a refund (in the form of a credit if the original price is non-refundable, which all the low fares are). You can use the credit yourself or give it to anyone you choose to use within 1 year. Southwest is by far the most liberal airline regarding use of credits. Most other airlines will also offer credits on non-refundable fares if you find the fare you paid goes down before you fly, but the restrictions are tighter. I usually have a threshold that I look for before I book, e.g., if I can get my flight for under $200 pp/ round trip, I automatically book it. I book SW as early as possible (as another poster suggested) because they pretty much sell out. Airlines aren't like cruises in that earlier booking doesn't always equal lowest fares, but on the flip side, you run the risk of the flight you want becoming completely sold out if you wait too long to book. If you're online regularly, check with your specific airline website for pricing. Southwest, for example, doesn't appear on Travelocity, Orbitz etc. and they offer their best deals directly on their own web site. I've found many carriers are beginning to catch on and are doing the same thing. I regularly book airfare for my company as well as my family, and it's a crazy game to play!

try orbitz, not sure what your exact dates are, but out of flint to mco, I found the lowest at 182 on Northwest and Airtran, and they were non stop, I tried for 8/21-8/28, not sure what your dates are so I tried for just the week long cruise. Orbitz

Once you see what you want, first try to go to the airlines website and book, if you do, and the price does go down, you cn usually get the credit in the form of a voucher, but usually if you book from one of the wholesalers, no credit if the price goes down.

You want to make sure your flight(s) doesn't get sold out. That would be bad. Also, check dates around your travel time. Sometimes cheaper to fly on Thursday to Saturday instead of Friday. If you are flexible.

Anytime I can get a ticket in the $200 range, round trip, I jump on it. Daughter goes back/forth from FL to CA, we go from FL to WI, etc.

Don't know how close you are to Chicago, but roundtrip for your dates on Southwest from Chicago would be $173.00 per person or $692.00 for the four of you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter