Airfare: has it increased dramatically? Atlanta to Orlando...

Puffy2

DIS Veteran
I'll be needing airfare in Nov. for Atlanta to Orlando. Rates right now on Airtran are high (compared to what I'm used to paying) - usually a great deal would be $59.00 ... a decent deal $69.00 one way...but for all their dates for Spring the best deals poping up (the ones that say "web sale" ) are $85 one way.

Not sure when to book now - I guess I'll keep tract and see what they offer for other dates to get an idea of how low they will go. Anyone with insight on the airfares?

Don't know if AirTran is going along, but Delta your dominate carrier keeps pushing things up $10 at a time. Considering fuel costs AirTran may be going up some too.

I think it just depends on when you're looking. Two days ago I found non-stop from Flint, MI to MCO for $70 each way, taxes and fees included. That was leaving 4/12. Those fares didn't last long!! I was too slow.

I have been watching Airtran as well, they are steadily increasing. However, we are going late November so time is on our side right now.
I saw in another post that sometimes the closer it gets to your date the airfare drops slightly as they are trying to fill the plane. But I am ready to buy as soon as it drops to the usual 59-69. web special price. If it doesn't SW had fun fares at 79.

We bought 4 rt tickets for the end of november last moth for $629. I just check and those same tickets are now $1,051. Glad I bought!! :banana:

I'm going eary Dec from Northwest Ohio. I have been checking a lot different airports. I think I am going to wait a while. Maybe oil will go down. Hopefully!

Does anyone watch the Travel guy on Today Show? One thing he said is air fares can be higher if you purchase on a weekend online. He also said there was no reason to buy tickets more than 45 days before, and I dropped my jaw! :confused3 The reason he listed was varied, but I wasnt buying his reason!! Then, I read here where someone used the "Ding" program from Southwest... OK, I was jealous!! I went thru AA, and got $70 each way Chicago to MCO, thought that was great (SW website has $79 each way!) then he mentions that airlines can add a "surcharge" for gas even if you pay in advance at a lower rate :confused3

Well, at least its still cheaper than driving! :crazy:

(edited to add, just plugged in our dates, and flights, it was up $100 for each ticket! :earseek: )

I've found that in the long run it's not a whole lot cheaper to fly low cost carriers because you don't get frequent flyer miles.

I'm in Detroit so Northwest is basically my only option (hub city lol)....flying another airline is offensive. I could fly Spirit, but I had a disastrous experience with them once and I will NEVER give them business again. I usually book through Orbitz, Expedia or Travelocity and if you keep coming back and snatch a cheap fare when you see one it's usually about the same as a LCC, and you get the benefit of having free travel every once in a while. My partner travels for business on a daily basis on NWA and he has acculumulated WorldPerks Platinum Elite status, so we get good mileage for flying NW. My trip to WDW in February was free for all 4 of us, and we got first class upgrades free.

ReninDetroit said:
I've found that in the long run it's not a whole lot cheaper to fly low cost carriers because you don't get frequent flyer miles.

I'm in Detroit so Northwest is basically my only option (hub city lol)....flying another airline is offensive. I could fly Spirit, but I had a disastrous experience with them once and I will NEVER give them business again. I usually book through Orbitz, Expedia or Travelocity and if you keep coming back and snatch a cheap fare when you see one it's usually about the same as a LCC, and you get the benefit of having free travel every once in a while. My partner travels for business on a daily basis on NWA and he has acculumulated WorldPerks Platinum Elite status, so we get good mileage for flying NW. My trip to WDW in February was free for all 4 of us, and we got first class upgrades free.
While AirTran doesn't offer "frequent flier miles", they do have a frequent flier program. They use credits for upgrades and free flights. One one-way flight equals 1 credit. You also receive bonus credits for flying Business Class, using AMEX, renting a car from Hertz, using an AirTran Visa. They also offer bonus credits for flying in/out of specified airports.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!