Age for no stroller needed?

queenofmykingdom

Earning My Ears
YDS will be a month away from 6 on our next trip. We are trying to decide of we should bring a stroller, rent a city mini, or rent a park if needed. Do almost 6 year old need a stroller in the parks?

You're going to get the whole spectrum on this.
Some kids will be fine without them at that age, others won't.
It depends to some degree on your touring style as well.

We just got back for a week at WDW with my 3 kids who just turned 6. They walked the whole time. They were fine.

Thanks. We are very relaxed tourists. Very laid back. So I guess we don't need to bring one, as he would be fine at DTD and around the hotel. Maybe rent at Epcot and MK?

My kids didn't need one per say, but they are awfully convenient and I used them at 6. Keeps the sun off them, place to store your stuff. Even though the ones at the park are expensive, to me they were some of the best money I ever spent.

I think it depends on the time of year you travel. I will bring an umbrella stroller for my 6 year old in August because of the heat and humidity. If I were traveling with her at this time of year, she probably wouldn't need it.

My dd5 will turn 6 next week on our trip. I know she probably could do without I am planning on bringing ours. She has asthma and it intensifies with warm weather, if she gets tired its somewhere to rest, plus we love it for storage. We might not carry everyday/park but if we need it we have it.

The last time I ever brought a stroller myself was for a 4yr old. I have been known to rent at Epcot or AK up until 6. It all depends on season, park hours and whether you leave for a break. We never rent for HS or MK. There is so much compacted into them, it was fine. The stroller parking is insane at MK. We take advantage of the train at MK for a break too. For us, Epcot and AK was a lot more random walking from one location to another. I just think at 6, your child will be much more comfortable in the rental than an umbrella. They always tip too :) City Mini is too small. Maybe an Elite but we took that last time for my 2yr old and it was too heavy and bulky.

First time we went it was August and my younger DS was 5.5. We got a stroller after realizing he was going to melt down every day from the heat and exhaustion. Some days the 7 year old hopped on too. Next trip was in April when they were just-turned 8 and 10.5 and we didn't need one. We are going this summer when they are 10.5 and 12.5 and can't wait to do the parks at night since they are older and have more stamina. I am thinking *I* might need a stroller though lol!

Our 1st trip with DD was when she was 4.We didn't use one and she was FINE.BUT we only have her, we tour at a leisurely pace and took breaks when needed.Honestly, most days she outlasted and outpaced me and DH

My kids both last used strollers at WDW when they were 5. My oldest dd was past that age on her first trip so she never got pushed. My oldest dd took my youngest dd when she was 6 for a 9 day trip and no stroller was provided so she walked without complaint.

It really does depend on the kid. Most 6 year olds should be fine without a stroller, especially if you child is pretty active at home they should be fine. However, I did go with some of my much younger cousins one year (7, 6, and 3). We had a double stroller and the 7 year old rode in it a lot whereas the 6 year old refused to get in it. The 3 year old would only ride in it when she was really tired, she wanted to be a "big" kid and did a really great job I must say! Suplemented by just a few shoulder rides from her favorite uncle ;)

I wouldn't rent a stroller but if you find towards the end of the trip your child is dragging rent one in the parks. Best of both worlds :)

About age 6, DD only needed one at Epcot so we just rented one there for the day. Get a double and then you have a place for the backpack also.

I might bring one for our 6 yr old, but mostly to haul stuff so we don't have to hold everything on rides.

We rented a stroller for DS-6 on full Epcot and MK days. He's healthy and fit, but lazy, so he loved having a stroller. Also, I admit, it was much easier to push him across the park if trying to meet a fastpass deadline rather than encouraging him to move his little legs.

My opinion is that if there are no younger siblings and the child is reasonably athletic or has had a chance to work on "Disney legs" (we walk the bike trails) then 6 is a reasonable. Go slower and stop when needed and it should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We will not be bringing a stroller for DD this trip. She's 6. We will have one for DS2 that she could possibly use just in case she gets really tired and he wants a break from the stroller.

My son will be a month from turning 6 our next trip- I left it up to him if he wanted one or not. He did! It can be a lot of walking!
My last trip I took a Sit n' Stand for my 5 mo old and my son was 4.5. My nephew who was 5.5 ended up riding on the back w/ my son most of the time b/c my sister thought he could "walk." They didn't take a stroller. I'd at least take an umbrella- You can leave it in stroller parking and go!

Every kid is different. Some 6 year olds need one and others don't. Heck, we rented a double stroller for our trip last year for our kids and they were 8 and 5. And also the year before that. I wish we would've went with a single though last year because most of the time they were fine and didn't need it so we parked it for hours and eventually went back to get it. I just get one for just in case because I would rather have it and not need it than need it and don't have it, ya know? We're renting a single for our trip in a couple weeks. I still wear the baby but I may need a break and also my 6 year old may use it from time to time. I do think it'll be parked a lot of the time, lol. Anyway, it's a tough decision since 6 year olds don't usually use strollers, disney is a totally different situation. Good luck deciding!

We first took DS to MK when he was 3 and used our stroller. He would barely use it then. Only when he wanted a break, or we were going through a big crowd and wanted to keep him safe did we use it. Last year, we took him when he had just turned 7 and there was NO way he would be seen in, or near, a stroller. We only suggested one at EP because we were there during F&W and it was so hot and busy. He had none of it - and outlasted us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter