After two stays at SSR...

rutgers1

DIS Veteran
After two stays at SSR, I either need a new map or perhaps it just isn't for me.

The first time out (3 years ago), the buzz on this board was to stay in the Grandstand. It was supposedly close to all the action (not sure what the action was, but that's what I read). Looking on a map, I guess I can see why people would want the rooms labeled 8501-8836 or 8101-8436 since they seem to be right next to the Grandstand pool and not too far from the main pool by the main building. However, we ended up in the 9501-9836 section, which was basically in a different zip code.

This time, I figured that I would enjoy the trip more if I was able to take advantage of the advertised easy access to Downtown Disney. When I was on the phone with Member Services, I asked for the best location for Downtown Disney access and was told Congress Park. I had heard of a bridge and figured that I would be right next to it. After exploring a bit, I am now under the impression that the easy access to downtown Disney involves walking on the outskirts of the property along the road. We were in the 2501-2836 building, which was nowhere near that path.

Here is my question --- why no love for the Springs section? If I am looking at the map correctly, it is right across from the main pool and restaurants. That would seem like the ideal location to me. Isn't the boat near there, too?

Also, aside from walking out by the main road, is there another bridge crossing over to Downtown Disney? And if so, which section is it in?

I know I probably sound like a lazy person with the complaints about distances, but that isn't the case. In fact, I am the type of person who always walks when given the chance between walking and driving...or walking up steps rather than taking an elevator. When we stay at the Boardwalk, we always walk to Hollywood Studios and Epcot. I guess my complaints about SSR stem from the fact that it just doesn't seem like it should be the same amount of points per night as the other resorts. On top of that, given its size, I feel that there should be an internal bus at the very least considering the Fort Wilderness campground has several of them. Perhaps splitting it into TWO separate resorts (like Port Orleans) would have been better, simply to give the impression of it being smaller. Something just doesn't seem right about it.

Also, aside from walking out by the main road, is there another bridge crossing over to Downtown Disney? And if so, which section is it in?

Looking at google maps, the only bridge I see is near the Springs boat dock. That bridge appears to be part of the Lake Buena Vista Golf Course and there are paths from that bridge to the Downtown Disney West Side Parking Lot.

I have to chime in because SSR is my family's home resort, and we love it !
That being said I also feel it is HUGE, however we always request to stay in the Springs - which is close to the main pool, close to the food, close to the bus, and not that far from the boat to Downtown Disney.
Also, you mentioned an internal bus, when we were there in October all the theme park buses stopped at the Springs before exiting SSR, so in theory you could use them as an internal bus.

We returned home on Monday after 10 nights at SSR for the Wine & Dine 1/2 marathon. Our homes are VGC and Aulani and this was our first trip to WDW. We were in Congress Park toward the Westside park of Downtown Disney. I thought the walk to DTD was pretty easy but the property is HUGE! We walked around a little and would have loved a little "you are here" marker on the property maps because we seemed to get turned around and couldn't figure out where we were the first few days :-)

There is but one bridge to DD.

As mentioned by a PP, any resort bus can be used as an internal bus as they all follow the same route, with The Springs as the last stop.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Each section at SSR has different amenities and a slightly different feel to it. Personal preference will dictate where you will like to stay. The bridge that the OP took to DTD was along Buena Vista Blvd to the Market Place. The other bridge is over behind the Turf Club next to the boat dock.

:earsboy: Bill

As stated you can catch any bus and get off at the springs stop as it is the last bus stop before leaving the property. You would have to walk back to your room but many times the carts delivery luggage will give you a ride.

Its a large resort but no more so than OKW or POR, CSR or CBR.

Distances are not that great, from any one place to the main area. I personally do not feel that any of the Grandstand buildings are that far to the main pool and Carriage House.

Springs is the closest to the main poll and Carriage House but some do not like as it the last bus stop.

Here is a Bing map of the area, zoom in and move around the property, maybe that will give you a better idea of where things are.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.as...lvl=15&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=3949963

We love the resort and never feel too removed from anything.

The bridge is on the West Side and you cross it coming/going from where Cirque and House of Blues, etc. is. If you walk around to the Marketplace, you are on the main road. Congress Park does have you near the walkway that goes along the water. It's an easy walk, not necessarily a short walk depending on perception. :thumbsup2

After two stays at SSR, I either need a new map or perhaps it just isn't for me.

The first time out (3 years ago), the buzz on this board was to stay in the Grandstand. It was supposedly close to all the action (not sure what the action was, but that's what I read). Looking on a map, I guess I can see why people would want the rooms labeled 8501-8836 or 8101-8436 since they seem to be right next to the Grandstand pool and not too far from the main pool by the main building. However, we ended up in the 9501-9836 section, which was basically in a different zip code.

This time, I figured that I would enjoy the trip more if I was able to take advantage of the advertised easy access to Downtown Disney. When I was on the phone with Member Services, I asked for the best location for Downtown Disney access and was told Congress Park. I had heard of a bridge and figured that I would be right next to it. After exploring a bit, I am now under the impression that the easy access to downtown Disney involves walking on the outskirts of the property along the road. We were in the 2501-2836 building, which was nowhere near that path.
Not sure where you thought you needed to walk, but the walking path to DD begins right by the 2501-2836 building.
The path is along the water, with a view of DD across the water almost the whole way.
Here's a link to the WDW map of SSR.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/SSMap.pdf

I can see how you would think it was very far if you were trying to go to the top of the map (along the road) or all the way to the Bridge that is on the map by the boat area (bottom of the map near the middle). That location was also a quick walk, 5-10 minutes, to the Carriage House/Main Pool/boats. Or as people mentioned, you could take any bus to get to the main pool, Carriage House area.

The pathway starts on the bottom of the map (little icon of person walking) and they repeat the icon to show where the walking path goes. It follows along the water, past the back of the Congress Park pool area. At the end of the SSR part of the path, there is a short bridge that goes along the road only as long as it takes to cross a small portion of water that goes behind the RainForest and shops on that side.
The walking path ends in DD at the little path you can see to the left and above the red Bus icon at the very top right side of the next map.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/downtown.htm

The walk is no farther than walking from BW to the Studio.

Here is my question --- why no love for the Springs section? If I am looking at the map correctly, it is right across from the main pool and restaurants. That would seem like the ideal location to me. Isn't the boat near there, too?

The Springs is nice, but we found the buses were usually quite full when they got there. With a person in a wheelchair who can't get out, that usually meant waiting for a second bus unless we were going at really quiet times.

It is a nice walk to the pool and restaurants though, but some aras are not really that much closer than the Congress Park area that you ended up in.

As I mentioned already, it sounds like you were looking to go to DD in the wrong direction.

Springs is our favorite section for the reasons you noted. Close proximity to "the action".

As stated you can catch any bus and get off at the springs stop as it is the last bus stop before leaving the property. You would have to walk back to your room but many times the carts delivery luggage will give you a ride.

Its a large resort but no more so than OKW or POR, CSR or CBR.

Distances are not that great, from any one place to the main area. I personally do not feel that any of the Grandstand buildings are that far to the main pool and Carriage House.

Springs is the closest to the main poll and Carriage House but some do not like as it the last bus stop.

Here is a Bing map of the area, zoom in and move around the property, maybe that will give you a better idea of where things are.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.as...lvl=15&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=3949963

We love the resort and never feel too removed from anything.

I agree. While I felt the resort was huge, I liked it much better than Coronado where we have stayed before DVC. Coronado was a LONG walk to get to anywhere it felt like, and SSR seemed to "spiderweb" out from the central location. We stayed at the Grandstand in the building next to the bus loop. We liked it because it was the first stop for any bus. Nothing worse than trying to squeeze on an already crammed bus. While the pool at the grandstand was not as great as the springs or the paddock, it was good enough to cool off and relax at, while the main pool did not feel like a long walk at all. We had a fabulous trip staying there. I don't think SSR is for me on a short trip, but it is great place for long relaxing trips.

Thank you to everyone for the insight. I just looked it up on Google Maps and have a better feel for the layout. The walk from our building in Congress Park to the Downtown Disney entrance (along the water) is about 1/2 mile. In the grand scheme of things -- particularly since I was down there to run the half marathon -- I shouldn't be complaining about a 1/2 mile walk. However, I guess I was just under the impression (after speaking to Member Services) that there was a quick bridge from Congress Park that would get me there.

I also looked up Port Orleans Riverside, and the distance at its widest point (if you exclude French Quarter) is about a quarter mile less. Not a huge distance, but still smaller.

I think I just got luckier in the other resorts when it came to villa placement. For example, when I stayed at Port Orleans, I was in the building that is right over the little bridge that you see when you exit the main building.

Thank you to everyone for the insight. I just looked it up on Google Maps and have a better feel for the layout. The walk from our building in Congress Park to the Downtown Disney entrance (along the water) is about 1/2 mile. In the grand scheme of things -- particularly since I was down there to run the half marathon -- I shouldn't be complaining about a 1/2 mile walk. However, I guess I was just under the impression (after speaking to Member Services) that there was a quick bridge from Congress Park that would get me there.

Prior to staying at SSR I also was under the impression from many posts that Congress Park was a quick walk to DTD. And like you I am a walker so it wasn't really that it was an awful distance but my perception of a quick walk and other people's is apparently different. :)

We just had our first SSR visit this past August for 7 days and stayed in the building right next to the Paddock pool. We found it very convenient as we had the pool, drink station, bus stop and bridge to the main area very close. However, after walking to DD a few times, it was not terribly long, but a bit confusing finding the most direct way there without walking on the road. We found it, and it was certainly a good walk, but admittedly we did get turned around once or twice. The main issue we had was just with the busses and routing being changed due to work on the main entrance. It is a big property with a lot to offer in the fact that you can be in the action, or choose more quite areas. Its our home resort and look forward to more visits.

The last time we stayed at SSR was in Congress Park, room #1101, ground floor. We had a wonderful view of DTD and the absolute shortest walk to DTD. The walk to the Carriage House and Artists' Palette was short and pleasant. Hope we get as lucky when we go back in Jan. Love it there!!

On a side note, I would suggest carrying one of the small maps they give you at check-in to orient yourself while walking around the property.

As mentioned by a PP, any resort bus can be used as an internal bus as they all follow the same route, with The Springs as the last stop.

You can use the Disney Transportation buses as internal transportation at SSR, but don't just jump on any bus. You could wind up somewhere you don't want to be.

The theme park buses (those going to Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Studios, or Animal Kingdom) can be used to get from any section of the resort to the Springs section. You can therefore use them to get from your section to the Carriage House and High Rock Spring pool. The route is Theme Park -> Grandstand -> Carousel -> Paddock -> Congress Park -> Springs -> Theme Park. (Do not get on a Downtown Disney bus if your destination is the Springs.)

You don't have to walk or hitch a ride to get back home to your section from the Springs. You can get back via the Downtown Disney bus. This bus' route is slightly different to allow guests to use it as internal transportation in this manner. The route is Downtown Disney -> Springs -> Grandstand -> Carousel -> Paddock -> Congress Park -> Downtown Disney.

Which section to stay in is a very subjective question. The sections are very different, and the things that are important to you will influence which you like best. There are many fans of the Springs.

In a FAQ I posted on the SSR Lovers & Owners thread, I attempted to come up with some pros and cons for each section as a tool in choosing. You can find them in in this thread.

The thread also includes some maps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter