After All This We are going To Need Some Magic **Sad Update 8/20**

Jackiemarie21

DIS Veteran
Hello and :welcome: To yet another Jackiemarie PTR!
Alright, so I am back with yet another PTR! I know what some of you are thinking :rolleyes2 she is starting another PTR, the last two went nowhere, she is crazy!

Well, it may be true, I may be crazy, but my last few trips have been canceled/postponed due to the insane year my family has had. A quick recap: A May trip was postponed due to a very snowy winter extending my DH's school year by 4 days, so we planned a Sept trip which was postponed because we had major storm damage on our home this summer and my DH was nervous about taking three personal days in a row. That led us to plan a March cruise that we ended up canceling because we found out our 2nd child would be arriving in April! So, like I said 2014 has been crazy, with ups and downs.

But, nothing and I mean nothing could have prepared me for how insanely awful Oct. was going to be. The first week of Oct. my mom started complaining about feeling ill normal stuff, upset stomach, dizzy, headache. After one week of her saying she had a "bug" and doing nothing, literally nothing all day long. My dad called me he had other concerns. He could no longer read her handwriting and was staying up all night long and sleeping all day. I talk to her every night between 9-10 and had not seen her in person since she did not want us to catch her bug, so I had no idea of these changes. I decided to urge her to go to the doctor. It did not go well. I knew something serious was wrong with her. I started thinking back over the last year. Looking back I saw things change about mom, she was angry and moody. Her personality changed in a major way. When you add that to the fact that she was keeping strange hours and could no longer write, I was worried that she had a brain tumor or had a stroke. Things went on for another week and finally on Saturday, Oct. 18 my dad decided that something must really be wrong. He forced her to go to the ER and this is where things went bad. That Sunday she was diagnosed with advanced stage lung cancer, which at the time did not seem too bad. The Doctor though they would be able to remove the cancer and she would most likely go into remission. The next step would be more in depth scans of the body to make sure there was no more cancer. In a MRI that Monday they discovered two large brain tumors. So, instead of just lung cancer she now has advanced stage lung and brain cancer. At this point its tough to say what kind of time she has left. She is doing radiation and starts chemo tomorrow. Doctors think she will be lucky to have a year, however the rest of her body is in great shape so if anyone can fight it, she can. My dad has taken extended leave from work and is her primary caregiver. However, it is a 24/7 job. She can not be left alone as she is very dizzy and will fall if left to walk on her own. Right now, she can do nothing for herself, bath use the restroom etc. Hopefully, after the treatments she can get a little more independent and dad can go back to work. I have been going in the late evenings to help so my dad can have a little break. He insists he doesn't need it, but one can go on like this for months. Needless to say, this has been devastating to me. Mom and I are very close, she is my best friend. We live 5 minutes apart and do nearly everything together. I am 32 and expecting my 2nd baby, I am most defiantly not ready to lose my mom. So, when life gets rough, I do what many people would think is crazy (but I am willing to bet some of you do the same thing ;)) and I picture myself in my happy place. Right in front of Cinderella's castle, because right there, all is right with the world and the real world drifts away! I need a little less real world and a lot more fantasy right now!

So, how does this equal a PTR? Well, that is where things are a bit more pleasant for me. I was joking around one day with DH and said lets just take off and go to Disney for a long weekend, and he said, okay lets do it. So we started looking at potential dates when we could take a quick trip before we get to close to my due date and we were thisclose to booking a trip over Martin Luther King weekend. Then I started thinking how sad I was we didn't get to do the Halloween party this year, and how hard it was going to be in Disney and not get to ride the new SDMT or SM so I shelved the idea of a quick trip. Then, a few days later DH came home with some great news! He has been campaigning his school district for a fall break. He and a few other staff members have been trying to get people on board mostly so they could go to Disney in the fall. The district came back and said they were not ready to give a week long fall break, but they were willing to try a long weekend in Oct. to see how people like the fall break concept. So, my DH is not on board with taking three personal days, but he is okay with taking one along with his fall break! So the two fall break days, with one personal day and a weekend=a short trip next October! :banana: This will also help us have a better idea of what to expect with mom and to be sure I am comfortable traveling at that time. This little trip is providing me with a great deal of happiness as well as a mental release from all the really big heavy things I am dealing with at this time.

So some trips details, so far we know the when and the who, but everything else is up in the air. This time around I am going to try something new. I am not going to start hammering out the details. I am going to give myself time to really think about choices like resort and park days. (We'll see how long that lasts:lmao:, but its a goal)
So what we know:
When: October 2015

Who:
Me:
10662068_10100560329687091_918641145768686525_o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Jackie, a stay at home mom. I used to be a FACS teacher in my first life. I mostly taught sewing. Which is my favorite hobby. Sewing custom outfits for DD for Disney is my most favorite thing in the world! This will be my 7th trip to the world!

DH:
1689636_10100576091041211_5115083964293843280_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Bob, a teacher STUCO sponsor, part time college professor he does a little of everything a school! He enjoys St. Louis sports the Cardinals and Rams, in addition to working and Disney. He was kind of slow to come around to the Disney love, but he now loves it as much as me! This will be his 6th trip to the world.

DD:
10731082_10100576091101091_5432831093359211737_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Charlotte, a silly, smart, and sassy three year old! She loves all things Disney, especially Doc McStuffins and Tangled or any princess really! This will be her second trip.

Baby #2:
He or she is going to make their grand arrival in April. He/she will be 6 months at the time of the trip. I think it will be a piece of cake to take them with us. Charlotte's first vacation (non-Disney) was around this age and it was perfect! I am dying to know this kiddos gender so I can get on some custom outfits!

So that's us! I promise if you read along you will learn so much more about us! I am sure there will be some ups and downs, but this trip is happening! I may lean on some of you for some moral support through this difficult time, but I am going to try and keep this a happy place...I need one! I hope you read along!

Oh Jackie!! I can't even imagine! I'm so sorry you and your family are going thru this! I was fighting tears the whole time I read your post.
Please let me know if you need any help with Charlotte so you can help your dad during the day or something. I'm sure Caden would love a play date and we could pick her up and go for lunch and the park or something.

And yes, I totally get the need for a disney trip! Our Jan trip has gotten me thru MANY rough spots. Sometimes when your mind won't stop, you just have to think about your trip to get the other thoughts to stop. I get it. I'm so happy you've got one to plan now!!

Here and along for the ride... through the good, bad and ugly. I'm so sorry to hear this news about your mother. I know it has to be extremely difficult on all of you, but especially you. You really will be in my thoughts and prayers as your family tackles this difficult journey. Cancer just plain sucks and has taken a few of my favorite people from me in my life. :( If you ever need to vent, scream, cry or just plain get away from it all, you know where to find your STL Disfriends!! And we will always be here! :)

Glad to see that you've got some Pixie Dust and magic coming up in more ways than one! May it be exactly what you need to get you through and be a happy place you can immerse yourself in! Can't wait to hear all about it... and I'm sorry... I think you need to jump in head first and get crazy now because I need to hear all about it!!! :rotfl:

i'm glad you get to have a Disney trip to plan, but I am so sad about the circumstances surrounding the trip. I hope everything goes well with treatments and that your mom is through it soon. you are all in our thoughts and prayers during this time. let me know if you EVER need anything--we're here for you for whatever! :hug::hug::hug:

that being said....i'm excited to see what plans you make and what outfits you sew! disney magic and pixie dust will be sprinkling down on you, i'm sure!

Oh Jackie!! I can't even imagine! I'm so sorry you and your family are going thru this! I was fighting tears the whole time I read your post.
Please let me know if you need any help with Charlotte so you can help your dad during the day or something. I'm sure Caden would love a play date and we could pick her up and go for lunch and the park or something.

And yes, I totally get the need for a disney trip! Our Jan trip has gotten me thru MANY rough spots. Sometimes when your mind won't stop, you just have to think about your trip to get the other thoughts to stop. I get it. I'm so happy you've got one to plan now!!
Awe thank you! It's been hard on me, all of us, really so many emotions at the same time! It means so much to have peoples support! I knew you guys would get what a trip would mean at this time ;)

Here and along for the ride... through the good, bad and ugly. I'm so sorry to hear this news about your mother. I know it has to be extremely difficult on all of you, but especially you. You really will be in my thoughts and prayers as your family tackles this difficult journey. Cancer just plain sucks and has taken a few of my favorite people from me in my life. :( If you ever need to vent, scream, cry or just plain get away from it all, you know where to find your STL Disfriends!! And we will always be here! :)

Glad to see that you've got some Pixie Dust and magic coming up in more ways than one! May it be exactly what you need to get you through and be a happy place you can immerse yourself in! Can't wait to hear all about it... and I'm sorry... I think you need to jump in head first and get crazy now because I need to hear all about it!!! :rotfl:

Thanks! I am pretty sure cancer is one of the worst words in the English language! This is a long rough road and it's not positive the outcome will be very good. I am sure I will have lots of venting to do... I feel so lucky that I met all you guys! The STLDis group is the best!

I am sure it won't be long before I go crazy planning! I can't resist!:lmao:

i'm glad you get to have a Disney trip to plan, but I am so sad about the circumstances surrounding the trip. I hope everything goes well with treatments and that your mom is through it soon. you are all in our thoughts and prayers during this time. let me know if you EVER need anything--we're here for you for whatever! :hug::hug::hug:

that being said....i'm excited to see what plans you make and what outfits you sew! disney magic and pixie dust will be sprinkling down on you, i'm sure!
Thank you! We are hoping the treatments go well. Radiation has not been too bad, but I know chemo can be pretty rough, so who knows what to expect next. We had a great visit tonight, so I just hang on to the good days to get through the bad! I appreciate all the thoughts and prayers. We have never needed them like we do now!
I can't wait to see how this trip pans out either! I am elated I am going to get to to go in the fall!

So, I have a few tidbits on all the stuff going on...

1. Baby #2:
At my last doctors appointment everything looked great with the new baby. It was moving around like crazy and had a nice strong heartbeat. All of this is absolutely wonderful and such a blessing during a horrific time in my life. The only downside is the "morning" sickness. I would like to meet moron who called it morning sickness, as it lasts all day, every day!:sick:

2. Mom:
Mom is done with radiation and on a week break from chemo. They are doing her chemo in groups of three treatments. It is too early to tell what kind of impact, if any the treatments have had on the cancer. There is good and bad news based on our observations. The last few days she has been more like her old self mentally. Her conversations make a bit more sense and she is interested in watching the shows she used to like. She can also dial the phone again, which is a big help and probably a relief for the people who have numbers similar to mine!:rotfl2: She says she is not in any pain and has not been too sick yet from the chemo. Mom is also very positive! She is fighting hard for life and that is good news to me!
The bad news is she is getting weaker physically. A LOT weaker. She has been falling on occasion, even with my dad assisting her. She needs to be helped with everything, but doesn't want it that way so it is a real struggle. She also has decided she really doesn't want to take her meds. My dad has to really fight with her and she gets extremely angry with him. So, I guess in short it will be a while longer before we actually know more about what is going on with her. We are all kind of falling into a routine and we all have our roles. The work part of it is actually helping me cope better than anything. It really helps to stay so busy.

#3. Our Trip:
Now for the fun part. I have been taking a few minutes here and there to start looking at our options for our next trip and so far, I have gotten nowhere:confused:

Our dates: Bob gets off a Monday and Tuesday. I am debating weather or not it would be better if he takes off Friday before or Wednesday after. So as of right now our trip may be starting Friday night and going through Wednesday (the option I am leaning towards) or starting Thursday night and going through Tuesday.

Getting there: Driving :drive: or flying? That is the question? I am still not sure. Flights from STL to Orlando are pretty expensive, there is only one airline that flies direct so the prices are always about the same and they are high. It is a big savings to drive. Plus, we kind of like driving and having our own car once we get there However, this is a short trip and I hate to spend precious time in the car! Bob always wants to drive and prefers that option. But, he pretty much goes along with what ever I want to do. I am still very torn about this issue. We have always had pretty good luck driving through the night with Charlotte, but baby #2 maybe totally different.

Resort: Is there anyone else out there that loves the resorts as much as I do? The resort choice is the most crucial for me. If you have read any of my previous PTR you will also know this is a choice I change my mind on the most. So what are we thinking this time? We are all over the place!:confused3
My first thought was Pop. We want this trip to fall within a certain budget and Pop would be the resort to help us do just that! We also can for sure fly if we go Pop, which I like. I also think this is a neat resort so we are kind of leaning this way.
But...

Those moderates and Deluxe always call my name...I just love 'em! :love: POFQ is one of my favorite resorts I have ever stayed in and it really isn't that much more Pop and we can probably swing it while staying comfortably in our budget driving or flying. So POFQ is defiantly on the short list!

And of course, I kind of want to try AKL or WL. If we drive, these can be in our budget too. I am so amazed by AKL and really want to stay there. We will be spending lots of time in the MK so it would be neat to stay at WL and be a short boat ride away from the action.

So we have lots of thinking to do on that choice!

Parks: So far the plan is to do one resort day, one MK day, one MNSSHP day, and one other park. The other park, I really don't know yet? On one hand, I really want to do HS! It is my second favorite park and I just love it! But, it seems like its kind of going to be in transition with lots of things still closed and nothing new open. So, maybe EPCOT? On our last trip we spent a lot of time at EPCOT and I felt a little burnt out on it. So, I am not sure I want to go back there again. Then there is AK. I was always kind of so/so on it but on our last trip, we loved it! Charlotte had a great time there too. So I am torn on this as well!:confused3

So, basically I have made no decisions on our trip, other than we are going! I know the rest will fall into place. I kind of like having all the trip choices still a head of me. Makes me even more excited about the trip!

So there you go, a whole lot of nothing new, but it felt good to get it all out in writing!

Glad to hear your mom is getting back to a more normal personality. That has to be a good sign for the cancer shrinking at least a bit!

You know how I feel about pop! It's my favorite!! We love it there :)

Glad to hear your mom is getting back to a more normal personality. That has to be a good sign for the cancer shrinking at least a bit!

You know how I feel about pop! It's my favorite!! We love it there :)

I sure hope so!

Oh we made a decision and I still can't believe what happened...Stay tuned!

Well, we finally made a decision! We have a resort!:dance3: And I am so flipping excited!:banana:

Where? I will get there in just a second!

First, I am going to go into how we reached our decision.

So, on most nights I go over after dinner to help my dad with my mom. I help her do her nightly routine and get ready for bed and get into bed. And I spend a lot of time waiting, lots of and lots of time waiting! She takes forever to get up from the chair and forever in the bathroom. So, I started reading on the Dis, a lot! One night I was reading in the resort section and came across a post I could not resist opening and reading... it was titled "Big Discounts at Deluxe resorts next fall" It talked about there was a TA that offered big agency exclusive deals. I googled the words necessary to find the agency (since if you name the agency you violate dis rules) and found it. I thought what the heck I will request a quote. At that point mom was ready for bed so I went home. The next day, I got an email from one of the agents with a quote at two deluxe resorts, and it was a great deal! A little more than 40% off rack rates! :cheer2: At this point I wanted to make sure it was a reputable agency and not too good to be true. All I could find was positive feedback, it seemed like most people were very happy with their service. They were also an official Disney agency. So, I brought the idea up to Bob and he seemed to think it would be fine! So today I booked with a Travel Agent for the first time ever. I was a little nervous at first, (I like to be in control of things like this) but so far I am happy with the service!

So, where are we staying?

SAM_5212.JPG

I borrowed this pic from google, sorry for the enormous size!

THE POLY! AGAIN!:dance3: I am seriously jumping out of my skin excited!!!!
We got a standard room and 2 day base tickets! I can not believe this is working out again! The rate we got ended up being a little less than what I had figured we would be pay for AKL with anticipated discounts!

Now, this does mean we will be driving, but Bob was pushing hard for that anyway, so I think that was what we were going to end up doing no matter what.

We also decided that we would mostly be doing CS meals this time. Not, only to save a little $$$, but I think with a baby it will be the easiest option. The dining plan was not an option with our package so we have to pay OOP for meals. We are planning on doing one TS dinner and breakfast and the rest will all be CS. I also think since this is such a short trip that will the best route for this trip.

So, I went a whole two weeks without making trip plans, :lmao:but I am so excited for our trip now! I knew I wouldn't hold out long before diving into my plans! :rotfl2: At first I was a little nervous with someone else making my arrangements. But she sent me a confirmation number and everything showed up in MDE!

So, that's that! We are officially off and running with this trip!

Yay!!!! That's awesome!!

I did a TA for all of my previous trips. This is my first time doing it on my own and I think it's annoying. Lol. I'm going back to a TA next time. :p haha

Just found your PTR. So sorry about your mom's diagnosis! :hug: I'm glad that she is doing a bit better, but I'm sure this is so hard on your whole family. I'm glad you live nearby and are able to help/visit often, though.

On a happier note, congratulations on soon-to-be baby #2! Between that and your Disney trip, you have some happy things to focus on during a tough time, which is so crucial!

That is awesome that you found a great discount at the Poly!! I'm interested to see what it's like by the time you go. I keep seeing Tikiman's posts on Facebook with pictures of the changes and it really seems to be undergoing quite a transformation!

I agree with your plans of doing mostly counter service for a quick trip, especially with a baby along. Maximize your park time and just have a couple sit-down meals.

I look forward to seeing your plans unfold! :goodvibes

Hi! I just found your PTR. I am looking forward to seeing the customs you make for your kids!

How wonderful to get such a great discount for the Poly! Staying that close will really help with the new little one.

Yay!!!! That's awesome!!

I did a TA for all of my previous trips. This is my first time doing it on my own and I think it's annoying. Lol. I'm going back to a TA next time. :p haha

I really like the TA experience so far! I had no idea how great the deals could be. Plus it's so easy!

I can understand why people use them!:lmao:
Just found your PTR. So sorry about your mom's diagnosis! :hug: I'm glad that she is doing a bit better, but I'm sure this is so hard on your whole family. I'm glad you live nearby and are able to help/visit often, though.

On a happier note, congratulations on soon-to-be baby #2! Between that and your Disney trip, you have some happy things to focus on during a tough time, which is so crucial!

That is awesome that you found a great discount at the Poly!! I'm interested to see what it's like by the time you go. I keep seeing Tikiman's posts on Facebook with pictures of the changes and it really seems to be undergoing quite a transformation!

I agree with your plans of doing mostly counter service for a quick trip, especially with a baby along. Maximize your park time and just have a couple sit-down meals.

I look forward to seeing your plans unfold! :goodvibes

Thanks for reading along! I can not wait to hear all about your Hawaii trip! I am so excited to be back at the poly. I am pretty excited to see the changes being made. I know a lot of people are worried about it being ruined, but I am confident it will be amazing!

Hi! I just found your PTR. I am looking forward to seeing the customs you make for your kids!

How wonderful to get such a great discount for the Poly! Staying that close will really help with the new little one.
I think the convince of the poly will really help out with such a little one in toe! I am so excited to start my customs!

So happy your mom seems to be doing better! May it continue to head in that directions!

And a big woohoo!!! to narrowing down your resort!! How fun and how awesome you got that discount!! And I knew you couldn't wait that long to dive into planning! Ha ha! We're all one in the same!

So happy your mom seems to be doing better! May it continue to head in that directions!

And a big woohoo!!! to narrowing down your resort!! How fun and how awesome you got that discount!! And I knew you couldn't wait that long to dive into planning! Ha ha! We're all one in the same!

She is doing much better! I hope its a sign of good things to come!

Oh, I couldn't go too long with out starting to make plans! I swear its a disease!:lmao:

Bring on the Turkey!

So, I thought I would post an update since its been a while!

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving (or 3) and I hope you all did too! At times like these its so good to stop and truly be thankful for ones blessings, and while times are difficult, there are many!

First of all my brother came in town the week before Thanksgiving and we had a wonderful early Thanksgiving with him, his wife and our extended family. The next day we celebrated Christmas with my brother and his wife. Even though we had to celebrate all the holidays early it was so nice because we have not celebrated with him since before Charlotte was born.

Some of the family

My brother and Charlotte

Charlotte and her pretty new bracelet

She also got a Rapunzel tower!

The Monday before Thanksgiving, was an amazing day! Mom had a doctors appointment and her doctor said things are looking pretty good and the cancer is shrinking! :yay::dance3::cheer2::woohoo::cool1: She is still extremely weak and can not do anything for herself. Her doctor was concerned about this, so he prescribed physical therapy for her. I think this will be really great for her.

The Wednesday before Thanksgiving I had my big 20 week ultrasound appointment for the new baby. Baby #2 is taking after big sis Charlotte in nearly every way! The baby would not stop moving at all for the Doctor to get a perfect shot of the gender, but she was pretty certain (90%), that this will be another girl! This is exactly what happened when I went in for my 20 week ultrasound with Charlotte! Good news for Charlotte because every since she found out she was going to be a big sister, she has been convinced, it was going to be a girl! The baby is also looking very healthy and there are no concerns at all. Now we just have to pick a name. This time around I am being totally indecisive, as soon as I think I like a name, I hate it. So, who knows what we will actually end up naming "her".

So, with good news all around we were ready for a fun filled holiday weekend!
Wednesday night, we had Thanksgiving dinner with Bob's family which was lots of fun! Bob's sister has a little boy exactly one year younger than Charlotte so she had a ton of fun.

1601411_10100600093450191_1030526456197080096_n.jpg

Charlotte and her cousin taking a ride on Bob's dad! (He is such a good sport)

Then, on actual Thanksgiving we brought dinner over to my parents and had a low-key dinner with them. Mom needed things to be small, easy and quiet. The weekend before was a lot for her and she had chemo all week before thanksgiving so she was a little worn out.

10624793_10100600093400291_5581870057843076117_n.jpg

Charlotte and Bob on Thanksgiving

The Friday after Thanksgiving, Bob and I celebrated the 10th anniversary of our 1st date (and the 9th anniversary of our engagement)! We celebrate that instead of our wedding anniversary because Charlotte was born on our 4th wedding anniversary, and we kind of forget about our wedding anniversary with parties and presents for her being the priority. The last two years, before we went to bed we were like "Oh yeah, and happy anniversary". This day is just about us so we make it special. We always go to the same restaurant we went to for our first date (one of those Japanese-style steakhouses) and then drinks afterwards. So, it was a nice night.

The Saturday after Thanksgiving, we made our way to a local tree farm and cut down our Christmas tree. This is the second time ever we did this, and the second time we got a tree that was WAY too big! I mean this thing is huge!:eek: But it was fun! We spent Sunday decorating the tree and the rest of the house. We had an amazing holiday!

Dragging the enormous tree!

Bob and Charlotte with our tree

Tree decorating

That is one big tree!

I will be back soon with a trip update, as we have started thinking more about the trip. I just wanted to check in an share some of our holiday fun with you all!

What wonderful news about your mom!! So happy to hear that things are improving!!

And that is the freaking biggest tree ever!!! hahahahaha It's practically as big as your whole living room :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

What wonderful news about your mom!! So happy to hear that things are improving!!

And that is the freaking biggest tree ever!!! hahahahaha It's practically as big as your whole living room :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

You are super fast with the reply tonight girly!;)

We are so happy with mom! She is more and more herself everyday which is amazing! Although that comes with struggles too. As she is more aware of what is going on, she wants to feel better and is upset by not being able to do anything for herself yet. Hopefully, the physical therapy will help with that.

Oh my gosh this tree, its A LOT of tree. Next year I am bringing a tape measure!:eek:

You are super fast with the reply tonight girly!;) We are so happy with mom! She is more and more herself everyday which is amazing! Although that comes with struggles too. As she is more aware of what is going on, she wants to feel better and is upset by not being able to do anything for herself yet. Hopefully, the physical therapy will help with that. Oh my gosh this tree, its A LOT of tree. Next year I am bringing a tape measure!:eek:

I'm so glad to hear it. I know her "new" personality was really hard on you. I'm glad she's getting back to the momma you know :)

And yes, I'm thinking a tape measure is a must lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter