1. Guest - Welcome to the new DIS Boards! I will create a thread on the tech support board to talk about any issues we are seeing and another thread to discuss new functionality - Alex

Advice on taking kids out of public school for trip

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by QueenGoblin, Jul 6, 2009.

1. brockash

brockash New Member

:thumbsup2

Couldn't agree more. My kiddos are in public school, but before reading these boards, I had never heard of such a thing. It seems completely rediculous to me, and I'm very thankful that I've never had to encounter this type of situation. I pulled my 1st grader out last year for a week to go to Disney and we'll be doing it again this Sept. I really don't think I'd be able to deal with a school district that had that type of attitude. I wrote my DS's teacher a note last year about 2 weeks before we left, to let her know, and asked if there was work we could do beforehand. My DS's teacher told us to have a great time and that we'd get him caught up when we got back. We did and he'll be in 2nd grade next year.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. clanwilson

clanwilson New Member

Check to see if there is an Educational Enhancement Opportunity (EEO) form available at the school. If there is, do one. Once it's approved, the missed days are excused, and your child will not be counted absent. The school will lose no money either since the child is technically being educated.

4. Pixieflip

Pixieflip Are we there yet?

We have always taken our 4 out of school. My husbands job requires that we take our vacations in winter and so we opted for WDW in Jan or Feb most every year. Now that our oldest is a sophomore in high school, it really is now becoming too big of a burden for him to miss that much school - now we go over Christmas break.

Looking back on first grade? I wouldn't give it another thought - go on your vacation. :thumbsup2

5. If you let your younger ones know about the Disney trip it will encourage them to not miss school! If they know that by attending classes and not missing it will give them the chance to hang out with Mickey and the gang it is more of a reason for them not to miss early on in the school year!!

6. Sheribo

Sheribo New Member

I work for the school board and that is very extreme. We do contact the authorities after 13 unexcused, consecutive absences. Usually the children take work with them. The only time it becomes a real issue is if the children are struggling to begin with or if the parents expect the teacher to catch them up during recess and lunch. Grade 1? Go for it. As they get older it becomes more difficult. Of course the teacher can give them the assignments they missed but can you, the parent, teach them how to do the assignments? That's where I had trouble. My daughter missed a week of lessons and we had trouble helping her out. Yes, it's true, my grade 9 science didn't quite cut it. LOL

7. antshelby

antshelby New Member

I would book the trip in Jan and see how the first half of school goes. We get 10 unex. and 10 ex. I bring my daughters work every year with us. She is now going in second grade and we are going again this year. She will miss 4 days.

8. dougsmom98

dougsmom98 New Member

I may not agree with it, but your school's policy seems very clear to me. I would hate to use up all my absences and then have something else very important come up that I needed to use another absence for. I would go for August. Your DH will understand.

9. homedad

homedad New Member

take your child out of school, they are not missing much in 1st grade, HS would be different. We go every other September and have this year a 3rd and 1st grader. Heck my wifes a teacher and she takes off school too....