Advice on renting points

KP's Mom

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I'll give it a shot.

I am considering renting points for two vacations this year.

How can I be sure the source is trustworthy? I realize I could ask for references. Any suggestions, recommendations, any other advice?

Unfortunately ref are the only avenue. Also look at the amount of DIS posts, generally the more post the person has been around longer. Trust is needed by both parties in a rental agreement so make sure you find someone that you feel comfortable with. Good Luck.....

I'm in the same boat- dying to rent points for an awesome but am afraid of getting taken! :scared1:

Actually, I'm waiting for a potential renter's references to contact her so I can contact them. Patience is definitely not one of my virtues so the wait is just killing me!:lmao:

I've been given the same advice that browniemtb just wrote about looking for people with a lot of posts. Not sure if it's just me, but there suddenly seems to be A LOT of renters out there with less than 20 posts. It's too bad you couldn't just check them out on the property appraiser's site like you can for rental homes.

Hopefully you (and I) hook up with trustworthy renters!

Cheers! :goodvibes

Good luck to you both. I know it is trying. You really have no promise, except your contract, that your ressie will be waiting for you when you get to Orlando. I was very skepitcal when I was sending out money to the owner I am renting from. We exchanged emails for several days and I even have a copy of the ressie before I sent her any money at all. So far, I coudn't be more please with our transaction. I am not very trusting person, but my owner has made me trust people more. Again, Good Luck!!

The thing is, you don't really know. Someone who is really good at conning people can give you references, have lots of posts, etc. You just need to develop a relationship with someone. Plus if it is someone who just may live close to you, you can always try to meet them.

Most DVC rentals don't go astray. Most are great experiences, but there has been a few that were problems.

Can I call member services (I'm not a DVC owner) once the person I've rented from has given me a confirmation #. I want to make sure that the reservation was set up properly?? Or can the regular CRO look up the ressie?

Can I call member services (I'm not a DVC owner) once the person I've rented from has given me a confirmation #. I want to make sure that the reservation was set up properly?? Or can the regular CRO look up the ressie?

No you cannot. Only DVC owners can access that information.

DVC reservations are not connected to CRO.

i rented a few times prior to purchasing and never had a problem. after purchasing ive rented my own points never had a problem. i suggest you look for people that have multiple posts and have been DIS members for awhile.

So I have no way of confirming with Disney that the reservation has been made / made correctly??

That is correct. The member you rented the reservation from should be able to send you a copy of the confirmation sheet, though, if you ask for it. If the member used Developer Points to make the reservation it could take a month or more to get the sheet from Member Services.

If you have any problems with your reservation, it's between you and the member. Disney will not get involved.

No, You need to ask to see a copy of the confirmation. I don't send a copy unless someone asks. I send the original when the final payment is made. This is one reason you need to deal with someone with experience. There is more to a rental than making the room reservation...If you are flying and wanting to use Magical Express, it needs to be set up by the DVC owner, if you want the dining plan, it needs to be set up by the DVC owner...paid for at check in. I have had renters not email me with the air arrangements, until I remind them by email. I don't know how everyone handles their arrangements, but you need to stay on top of this.

I have noticed that their are a lot of low post counts having points for rent. This doesn't mean that they are not experienced. I would sure ask some questions. Did they just buy DVC? Do they know about Booking Magical Express and the Dining Plan?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter