Advice needed! Room canceled accidentally

I am ducking out of this thread now. I agree and you make good points. I own at SSR and VGF. For those that doubt me. But think whatever. However I find your tone not to my taste. If you disagree with others that is a fair cop but I don't like the laughing at comments. David has always done right by me both through renting my points and me renting. If I arrive one time and the owner has let us both down then agreed that is the risk I have taken thinking about it and the price. But please don't mock. That's not nice. Good day people.

Just to piggyback above... And yes the situation sucks, but it just doesn't make sense to compensate renters with a comparable lodging if the owner falls through.

Then EVERYONE would rent (not that there are already more renters than owners), and no one would ever rent rack rates direct from Disney.

After all, why would they?

Get 50-70% off rack rates. But if the owner falls through, they get a hotel room anyway at rack rates. David is the only one screwed. That means all renters are protected at all times but gets a cheap room at all times.

That's not the purpose of a broker.

It doesn't make sense as a business model. Even for or purposes. With that logic, it would be great PR for Disney to give all dvc owners XYZ and ABC as well as free dining, tickets, etc.... But it isn't economically prudent. Same with some of the posters suggestions that David give a comparable room if an owner backs out...

Last edited:
I am ducking out of this thread now. I agree and you make good points. I own at SSR and VGF. For those that doubt me. But think whatever. However I find your tone not to my taste. If you disagree with others that is a fair cop but I don't like the laughing at comments. David has always done right by me both through renting my points and me renting. If I arrive one time and the owner has let us both down then agreed that is the risk I have taken thinking about it and the price. But please don't mock. That's not nice. Good day people.

I really don't think the purpose was to mock... I'm truly thinking about the various scenarios and risks/benefits of renting, being a renter, and David's business role.

I can't imagine the horror and frustration of going to a vacation and finding out a room isn't available. But I'm also trying to think if the consequences for David if the expectation of a disappointed renter is fulfilled.

It just doesn't make sense to "make whole" the renter... Try as I might as I'm racking my brain, I just don't see the logic and business rationale. I'm not mocking. I hope you don't see it that way.

I really don't think the purpose was to mock... I'm truly thinking about the various scenarios and risks/benefits of renting, being a renter, and David's business role.

I can't imagine the horror and frustration of going to a vacation and finding out a room isn't available. But I'm also trying to think if the consequences for David if the expectation of a disappointed renter is fulfilled.

It just doesn't make sense to "make whole" the renter... Try as I might as I'm racking my brain, I just don't see the logic and business rationale. I'm not mocking. I hope you don't see it that way.
There are no winners here, I think everyone can agree on that. Even with DVC, there have been reports of people showing up and not having a room. I remember a string of threads a few years ago where there were several such issues at BCV. I remember one person who had booked using OKW points were shunted back to OKW and told that was because they owned there. The difference is Disney is a deep pocket plus they have so many rooms and options they can "make it right" truly with relatively little or almost no cost. As I noted previously, this is RCI's business model as well though they often have more options than does David's. They could call DVC and beg a room if they needed and Disney would likely be able to accommodate them, David could too but Disney might be less responsive. Remember that full often doesn't truly mean full.

Do you honestly believe that David (or even Minnie Mouse, for that matter!) can manufacture a BWV room out of thin air? And at 4 months out from Food & Wine? Seriously? If someone needs an absolute guarantee, they really need to book through Disney.

Even booking though Disney there is no absolute guarantee of getting what you have booked. Disney has been known to walk people to different resorts, or to downgrade guests to a lesser room.

Maybe you should define "exposure" before we get into this. David is out the $1,300 that he has to refund, and at least $650 that he already paid to the member. That falls in the initial range I quoted.

The previous poster tried to calculate what it would take to "make it right" by booking the client a split stay at a value and SSR. That came out to a couple hundred dollars, which is what I responded to. It's a false argument to calculate against such incomparable accomodations.

Since that post also included the idea that David should book alternative accomodations, I included something comparable, which would add almost $2,000 to his "exposure." Note my original post:

Keep in mind that in this scenario David's DOES NOT REFUND the money but provides a different reservation in place of the original ressie. Hence, they are NOT out the $1300.

Keep in mind that in this scenario David's DOES NOT REFUND the money but provides a different reservation in place of the original ressie. Hence, they are NOT out the $1300.
Plus the cost of the replacement reservation which is the issue at present. If he had points that wouldn't be used and would be lost and could get a suitable replacement, that would limit to only that already paid to the owner.

For the OP whose aunt lost her reservation, if the most important thing to you is staying at the same resort as your aunt, as a DVC member you may have other options. Both you family and your aunt's, however, would probably have to do a split stay. Book a moderate for both families using your aunt's cash and book a 2 bedroom (probably at SSR) using your points for days still available.

Is this the vacation location you hoped for? No, but it would allow both families to stay at the same resort using your available resources. -- Suzanne

He is out the $650 already paid. Then he is out the $2300 + tax to get the closest thing to an equivalent room (an Inn room) or out the $1650+$95 for the two nights at SSR and two in a value scenario. So his lowest exposure for a substandard solution would be $1400 (x 2 because he has two people this happened to) and to really make it as right as could be he's out more around $3300 (adding the tax in there) - for a reservation that cost $1600.

Well, when one poster says certain posts she disagrees with are "hilarious" and another says only the Fairy Godmother and Tinkerbelle can help in this situation, that is rather mocking. I think the Fairy Godmother comment was made in fun, but the other was meant to discount other's opinions. I'm not upset myself but it is still there on the thread.

Well, when one poster says certain posts she disagrees with are "hilarious" and another says only the Fairy Godmother and Tinkerbelle can help in this situation, that is rather mocking. I think the Fairy Godmother comment was made in fun, but the other was meant to discount other's opinions. I'm not upset myself but it is still there on the thread.

I agree.

As an owner who has rented points successfully I am totally uncomfortable with the idea of giving my renter my full name and address. to the point where if this was required I would just keep my points.

I think the point is that the renter is protected by the broker due to the full money back guarantee so the risk is really on the broker not the renter as the renter gets a full refund.

I see it as normal to do more due diligence on a private renter.

The refund is the protection.

If I don't trust the person renting enough to share my full name, address and phone number I sure and heck are not letting them be my guest on my DVC membership.

The Fairy Godmother comment was in response to one of my posts. I am the target of that one, and I know it was not meant as "mocking" at all. In fact, I thought it was funny and I really enjoyed it (although I wished I'd thought of Tink and FGM first!).

The DIS is a public discussion board. If we're going to post on a public discussion board, we have to be able to withstand some disagreement and criticism. There wouldn't be any discussion if we all had exactly the same point of view. I would also say that the DIS DVC boards are probably the least contentious boards I've ever seen.

There have been a few snarky or pretentious comments occasionally, but I haven't seen anything in this thread that I felt was objectionable.

The Fairy Godmother comment was in response to one of my posts. I am the target of that one, and I know it was not meant as "mocking" at all. In fact, I thought it was funny and I really enjoyed it (although I wished I'd thought of Tink and FGM first!).

The DIS is a public discussion board. If we're going to post on a public discussion board, we have to be able to withstand some disagreement and criticism. There wouldn't be any discussion if we all had exactly the same point of view. I would also say that the DIS DVC boards are probably the least contentious boards I've ever seen.

There have been a few snarky or pretentious comments occasionally, but I haven't seen anything in this thread that I felt was objectionable.

Thanks, Jim. I was going to mention that yesterday, but didn't want to throw you under the bus.

But there is truth in your comment regarding Minnie. At this point, its completely moot that the renters deserve that room, getting it is going to take luck on the scale of magic given the resources at play. IF it were a Disney reservation and Disney screwed up, there is some chance that Disney would be able to make good - not a guarantee, but a chance - they have resources and access no one else has. But David is not Disney, he can't hold rooms or prioritize a waitlist - and Disney has no investment in making this work - and every incentive to not make this work so people continue to spend more and go through Disney. If people believe that reality to be snarky, that isn't something I can help.

Thanks, Jim. I was going to mention that yesterday, but didn't want to throw you under the bus.

But there is truth in your comment regarding Minnie. At this point, its completely moot that the renters deserve that room, getting it is going to take luck on the scale of magic given the resources at play. IF it were a Disney reservation and Disney screwed up, there is some chance that Disney would be able to make good - not a guarantee, but a chance - they have resources and access no one else has. But David is not Disney, he can't hold rooms or prioritize a waitlist - and Disney has no investment in making this work - and every incentive to not make this work so people continue to spend more and go through Disney. If people believe that reality to be snarky, that isn't something I can help.

I really want to thank everyone for speaking up. I'm not the OP, but the other family affected by this situation DVC Rental and Paul Little have stepped up to the plate to get us back on track with our vacation. Because of this calm discussion and within my FB page, I have a better understanding of what happened and why it ended up the way it did.

It wasn't that DVC Rental could get us what we wanted, what we planned.... but they showed a lot of compassion and spread plenty of pixie dust to seal some wounds.

Once again, thanks for contributing to the conversation.

I really want to thank everyone for speaking up. I'm not the OP, but the other family affected by this situation DVC Rental and Paul Little have stepped up to the plate to get us back on track with our vacation. Because of this calm discussion and within my FB page, I have a better understanding of what happened and why it ended up the way it did.

It wasn't that DVC Rental could get us what we wanted, what we planned.... but they showed a lot of compassion and spread plenty of pixie dust to seal some wounds.

I like Paul. He's the one I rented my points through (BWV pool studio from October 3-7, coincidentally). He's pretty stand up and has his own fb page for dvc people. I still stress as an owner about possible damage or unpaid charges but Paul has gone out of his way to try and make me feel better. He definitely has a personal touch.

My sister rented through him last minute for a SSR room at distressed point prices- for one day. He actually went out of his way for her. I like that he accommodates. Which is why I used him as an owner.

That being said... Sometimes there are risks that can't be mitigated. It's stressful.

Im so glad you had a good resolution ;) and have fun!!

Last edited:

The "hilarious" comment was in response to one of my posts. I am the target of that one, but I didn't take it personally. I have much thicker skin than that! No, none of the discussion stepped over what I consider "the line" in snarkiness but some of it was snarky and if a poster feels that way they are allowed to mention it and leave the discussion (as she did). I was just pointing out possible reasons why she left.

I am confused did you have your rental with DVC Rental and it got cancelled also just as the OP did?

I am confused did you have your rental with DVC Rental and it got cancelled also just as the OP did?
No, that poster rented from the same owner as OP (through David's) and their reservation was cancelled too. Paul Little at DVC Rental stepped in to try and help this poster any way he could.

No, that poster rented from the same owner as OP (through David's) and their reservation was cancelled too. Paul Little at DVC Rental stepped in to try and help this poster any way he could.

Well, no offense to Paul, sounds like a great guy and I don't know him; but surely everyone can see that in this case stepping in at this point was a win/win for his business as David is his competition. What is their policy if this happens? Isn't it the same as David's?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter