advice for empty nesters

Discussion in 'Camping at Disney World' started by mikki'smom, Jul 24, 2009.

1. mikki'smom

mikki'smom Earning My yEars

My husband and I are retired, empty-nesters who are VERY interested in purchasing a RV, but we honestly have more questions than answers. Please share your wealth of information...some of the questions are...
    1. pull behind or fifth wheel
    2. we have a 1500 truck...is that too small
    3. should we buy new or used
    4. what brands should we look for or avoid
    5. do they leak
    6. what features are a must....what are a waste

And ... since we obviously don't know what we're doing....what questions should we be asking ourselves and the sales people?

Thanks

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. becky1960

becky1960 DIS Veteran

I guess a question back should be Budget size and how much travel, we have a 5th wheel with a Crew cab Diesel that handles fine. A 1500 would probably be ok for a Pull behind TT. Older Rv's will have more problems such as leaks.

4. DaveInTN

DaveInTN I'm Not The Castle Guy

See my responses in blue below...
    Good luck, and have fun!

5. mikki'smom

Right off the top of my head I have one more question. What is your opinion of the "aluminum/light" trailer?

6. disneydawgs

disneydawgs Earning My Ears

We started out w/a Coleman pop-up, then went to travel trailer, now we do tents. Why? Storage fees. We did not use it enough to pay between 700 to 800 dollars a year to store it. However, my wife liked the outdoor stove and the outdoor shower. It had an indoor shower and toilet also. Keeps the inside clean. Hey' if mama ain't happy then no body is happy. I look for storage and if I get another it will be self leveling. We stored the pop up in our garage but the TT would not fit and the neighborhood does not let cars much less TTto be left in your driveway. For us I wish I still had the pop-up. Easy to pull, its basically just an really nice tent plus some extras like a radio, tv, stove, microwave, AC, furance, sink, and enough storage to leave our camping stuff in it year around. Well, thats my 2 cents. There are campers on this board who know alot about this stuff so keep asking. They been doing this for decades.

7. kskone

kskone Mouseketeer

Very well said DAVEINTN My wife and I have been camping for years and have owned everything from a class C to tents right now we owne a TT thats a hybred (tents on each end of the unit) it has everything we need for long and short trips in fact we spend two months (Jan Feb) at the fort and never want for anything just remember the bigger the unit the more money and maitenace go's with it!!! My unit is 16ft when closed and 23ft when open and like I said I have all the comforts of home. You may want to rent one first to see if camping is for you that way you wont get stuck paying for something you don't like Good luck K.:thumbsup2

8. polkadotsuitcase

polkadotsuitcase Disney-loving mom! Approved Advertiser

Wow, Dave, great response!

OP, I think you're in a good situation, too, if it'll be just the two of you camping -- I drool over the floorplans that don't have bunk beds in them! Bunk houses are great, but there are so many cool layouts without them. Have fun!

9. liv luvs disney

liv luvs disney DIS Veteran

Ditto!

10. cruising spud

cruising spud Mouseketeer

May I suggest that you go over to rv.net and check out the information on those boards? You will find the answers to all of your questions and to questions that you didn't even know you should ask.

11. dtum

dtum DIS Veteran

Have to agree with RV.net. We did all our research on 5th wheels over there before we got our Ti. 1500 is probably too small for a 5th wheel. Our brand says a 1500 can tow the smaller model (like ours), but I don't trust that unless you only plan to tow on flat ground. We love our 5th wheel. The extra height and living area make it feel much more like home. Towing is a breeze...nothing like towing TT (we had that prior to 5r and what a big difference). Just do your homework and go to some RV shows to look at different models. One bad thing with RV shows is that they only have brands sold local to your area so you may be missing some very good models. We also found you get what you pay for, so the cheaper 5rs and TT may seem a good deal, but could end up having more problems in the end.

One thing we really wanted was a frig with a thermostat so we could control the temp inside...cheaper models don't have that-it just adjusts itself based on the heat outside and it never seemed cool enough when we were at the fort with our TT (that's what it had). There are a lot of "little" things like that to look at.

If you go the motorhome route...do you have a vehicle to tow behind? If not, unless you break up your campsite you are stuck where you park...just another consideration.

We bought ours used in 2007. DH found it on e-bay. We new what brand we wanted (from years of research) and when he found it (and the model we wanted) we knew it was time. The dealer that had it was in GA and we drove from OH to pick it up. They installed our hitch and had us camp there for two nights so if anything was wrong they could fix it before we left. They were a great place to deal with. So if you go used from a dealer, see if you can camp in it for a night or two just in case some "little" things need fixed.

Good luck on whatever you choose, take your time looking and enjoy yourself :thumbsup2

12. tlh0726

tlh0726 DIS Veteran

Try locating a RV show near you.
    This will allow you to look at different manfacturers, models, and classes all in one place.

We went to the RV show in Hershey PA when we decided to begin our search. Went in thinking TT and left knowing that we wanted either a Class C or Class A.

The RV show can be overwhelming so make sure that you take a digital camera to take pictures and a notepad to list the models info and the pros and cons. Also a great place to realize exactly how big the unit is inside when you have more than one family looking at it at the same time.

A few questions to ask yourself
    Will the unit be used for short local trips or lengthy cross country? Will you be comfortable traveling longer distances in the truck?
    Will any friends or family members join you during your adventures?

It is a hard decision. Take your time. Make sure that the floorplan is what you want.

13. motherwild

motherwild Mouseketeer

We went last year to th Hershy RV show. I think they had just about every make there. We will be there again this year doing more research. We currently have a motorhome but looking for a new one when I retire to start fulltiming.
    As far as what to buy examine your needs and wants.

14. mikki'smom

Thanks so much for all your wonderful suggestions. I am keeping a list. Even though I am in Alabama, a trip to Hershey might be fun. Thanks again.

15. tlh0726

tlh0726 DIS Veteran

If you do, allow yourself some time to visit Gettysburg. It is about an hour away.
    And Hersheypark is just a parking lot away.

16. mickey grandmom

mickey grandmom Earning My Ears

hello mikki's mom:goodvibes my husband and I have just retired several months ago. I'm also in Alabama. My husband and I went to just look at a Jayco dealer. Well we bought a fifth wheel. It was just right for us.It had a room with four bunks for the four grandchildren. We have taken it out twice.
    Had a few problems,but dealer fixed them very quickly. The camper now feels like home. We want to travel out west in the late spring. We love camping and always had hoped to get an rv to travel when we got old. Didn't think it would happen,but it did. We love,love,love,the Jayco. Hope you find the right one for you. Makes great memories for the grandkids. Good hunting.