Adventures by Disney

lyndeah

Mouseketeer
I know if you purchase resale you cannot use points for ABD.... My question is I knwo my family is interested in ABD trips in the near future, are DVC points worth converting into ABD trips?

I know if you purchase resale you cannot use points for ABD.... My question is I knwo my family is interested in ABD trips in the near future, are DVC points worth converting into ABD trips?

Short answer - no. It's not worth buying direct for that reason.

If you already owned points it would almost certainly be more cost effective to rent out the DVC points and pay cash for ABD.

IMO, buying DVC with the intent to use them for anything other than a stay at a DVC resort is a poor value. You will end up paying a premium (over cash for those same options) to use them in that manner. (This is a different decision from occasionally using points for those options after you've owned for several years).

Take a look at this thread for more information & thoughts on this topic:

Using Points for the DVC "Collections"

As you continue with your research, take some time to check out the DIS DVC Resource Center - lots of good information in that thread. :)

Honestly: Buy direct because you want to buy Poly points and stay at the Polynesian, probably in studios, 80% of the time. Buy direct if you're a Hawaii family and want to stay at Aulani every other year 80% of the time.

Do not buy anything else direct in order to get the contracted exchange rate for Disney Collection, because the contracted rate is going to be higher than the cash rate with discounts, and is a poor exchange value based on the value of your direct points.

We have 1300 points and have completed 7 ABD trips. We have never used our points for ABD. It simply isn't a good value for he points. What we have done once or twice is to rent out some of our points and put that money towards one of the ABD trips. The Italy ABD we have booked for next year is about $5,000 per person or 666 DVC points per person. Even at a modest $10 a point rental you could rent out 600 DVC points, pay for one person and still have $1,000 left over and saved 66 points.

The return on ABD is somewhere in the $7.25 to $8.75 per point range for an adult. This isn't enough for me to consider using even if I were doing the exact trip plus ABD tends to be like DCL, significantly more for the same type of travel. There are other risks and negatives in converting to reservation points. Plus one will have additional fees and possibly higher costs on any none points options. One just needs to understand what they're getting and what the real costs are and that you're paying double to almost double than if you rented out the points and paid with cash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter