Adventure of the Seas?

WishingMom

DIS Veteran
Looking at a Southern Caribbean itinerary for next July on the Adventure of the Seas and I'm reading some mixed reviews. I know the ship is older and there are mixed opinions on the food...which makes me nervous. But, the itinerary is AMAZING...so is the price...

Anyone have any experience on this ship and would you share your thoughts?

Thanks!

I haven't sailed on Adventure, but I have no qualms abou our Southern itinerary on the ship in December of next year.

I'm curious about this ship as well-especially after the refurbish year! Was just about to start a thread asking as I've just booked!

We haven't sailed on Adventure yet, but have sailed on her sister ship Enchantment quite often (we're back on her in four weeks). Adventure had the same refurb as Enchantment, with the addition of some new panoramic oceanview cabins, a food venue in the Solarium (Park Café), and a lot of TLC on the interiors and cabins. Adventure is about three years younger than Disney Magic or Wonder, and carries about the same number of passengers. IMO, Adventure makes much better use of interior public space, and the pool areas are a lot larger. The only thing that's lacking if you have small kids is there's no real wading pool. As for food, that's always subjective, but for us there really wasn't a noticeable difference between Royal Caribbean and Disney in the main dining rooms (we were on Magic in May), but I'd give the nod (big time) to Cabana's over Windjammer (RCL's buffet) in the evenings, and Windjammer (slightly) over Cabana's for both breakfast and lunch.

Royal
Adventure and Enchantment are not the same class of ship. Just an FYI.
OOPS, you're correct. Adventure is a Voyager class. Even better for the OP. The Voyager class ships were the pre-cursors to the Freedom Class, and the amenities onboard like the promenade, ice skating, mini-golf, in-line skating track, rock-climbing wall, full sized basketball court, etc. are definite plusses.

Just got off the Adventure, any questions!?

Did the interiors feel updated? We're not super concerned with all the activities. We just use the solarium or our balcony to read and relax. Part of the reason we went with RCCL over celebrity is because the renovations were more recent.

How much wear and tear was visible around the ship?

And if you were by chance in a suite, how was that experience/concierge?

Thanks!

Did the interiors feel updated? We're not super concerned with all the activities. We just use the solarium or our balcony to read and relax. Part of the reason we went with RCCL over celebrity is because the renovations were more recent.

How much wear and tear was visible around the ship?

And if you were by chance in a suite, how was that experience/concierge?

Thanks!

We were in a suite, loved the size of the room, balcony, and the location. The room did seem a little faded however nothing too frightening. We did not use of the Concierge services. The ship is in good shape you can just tell that its old Royal Caribbean. Nothing seemed to be broken or ripped to shreds, just older. Enjoy!

We sailed her in January, had a balcony oceanview room. We loved the itinerary of the Southern Caribbean that we booked another cruise on her for next April while onboard. It is an older ship but that didn't matter to us, it looked in very good shape and the service was excellent. No complains over the food but then again we eat just about everything. Loved the piano player at the Schooner Bar (believe this is the right bar), he was excellent. I'm hoping he's sailing with us on our next cruise. You will have an excellent vacation onboard the Adventure and visiting the Southern ports.

I have been looking at the Southern Caribbean itineraries, too. I haven't been on the Adventure but I was on the Explorer in 2008 and we had a great time.

OP, I'm so glad you asked this question because I was going to post the same thing! I'm considering doing the Southern caribbean itinerary this coming January. I've never sailed RC before, so I don't know whether the "older" ships would give us a not-so-great experience, or if the differences between old and new are minimal. Were the cabins recently refurbed or just the public spaces?

I have sailed on Adventure twice: March 2008 southern Caribbean and Nov. 2010 Transatlantic. I chose the cruises based on itinerary and price, and not for the ship. The ship was very nice, but I actually prefer RCI's Vision and Radiance-class ships.

We just booked the Adventure for next June. This will be our first cruise so any tips you can give us are greatly appreciated! We booked a balcony cabin towards the back of the ship I think on Deck 9 but it could be deck 8.

I do have two really important questions right off the bat here: 1. do you know if the have spin bikes in the gym or if they are regular recumbent-type stationary bikes? 2. Are any of the pools large enough to lap swim? I can bring ankle bands and tie them to a pool ladder if needed. The reason for these two questions is that I will still need to train for my Ironman while on board.

We're planning on booking for Sept 2016 for our honeymoon. I'm thinking a suite (the Grand?) for the larger size room and balcony. Although, I wish concierge services were similar to staying at a resort on Disney!
Does anyone know if more excursions will be offered to book thru the ship as the time gets closer? I know there's plenty I can plan thru other excursion companies or on our oen, but just wondering.
For those who have recently been, what have your fave or not so fave excursions been?
Anyone get a drink package? Which one? Worth it?

I second the question on the drink packages. Are they worth it? I only drink pop, iced tea, water, and Pellegrino, but can do without the pop and Pellegrino. Should I get a drink package just for iced tea and water? DH drink coffee and beer so we'll get him one of those packages. Also, they list bottled water: 12 for $39 or 24 for $69. Has anyone purchased the bottled water and was it worth it or a waste?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter