Adult/child meal QSDP dilema...any ideas?

Twoboysnmygirl

DIS Veteran
Ok, so I have realized, looking through CS menus again for this upcoming trip, that we are going to run into a problem...again.

My dd and I are going on a mother/dd trip. We have QSDP, but since she's 12, it's for 2 adults. Here's my issue: My dd is a vegetarian, and well, still a KID, even though Disney has deemed that she's not.

Our last trip (Jan. 2012) we had bizarre and conflicting issues with CS meals for her. Almost ALWAYS she wants a child CS meal because they have mac-n-cheese or grilled cheese, which the adult menus don't offer for vegetarians. At PoP and CHH (and a couple others), they would give her an "adult portion" of something like mac-n-cheese...b/c that's what we paid for and her credit is an adult CS meal. They would also give her an adult dessert and drink.

Well, we ran into a few places that would NOT do this. I had a big mess at Sunshine Seasons when they wouldn't let her get a cupcake with her meal for dessert b/c she had gotten a "kids item" (mac-n-cheese) even though it was an adult portion that the CM gave her b/c she has adult CS credits. They don't have a lot of vegetarian options on the adult menus, so this seemed like it would be fine, but no, no dessert and wanting her to get a kids drink. It was even more annoying b/c her friend (same age) that came with us, got an adult item and so had an adult drink and dessert.

Is there any way I can fix this issue? There does not seem to be a consensus between the different restaurants as to a solution for this. It just seems to me that if I have to pay for her to be an adult, she should get an adult drink and dessert, regardless of what main item she chooses for her meal.

We planned to go to BOG, but I realized she won't want the quinoa salad for vegetarian adults, and if she gets a kids meal, there's no dessert with it. I feel like I'm just out of luck or end up having to pay extra for all these things that should be included with her CS meal. Anyone ever have this issue and come up with a solution??

Sorry about your issue. It really does stink, but I don't believe there is a consensus or really anything you can do to remedy the issues you run into. It's always been stated on these boards that some people have luck and some don't getting the adult sized kids portions, and that it is dependent on where you go. I'm pretty confident it is up to the establishment on how they want to deal with it.

I really do get that it is frustrating. I would personally just deal with not getting an adult dessert/drink (drinks are refillable so I wouldn't care about that at all) if they are accommodating your daughter's personal eating habits with adult portions of the child meal but adhering to the restrictions of that same meal. She's still ordering a kids meal though. I guess they could always say 'you can use an adult credit for a kids meal but it will be the regular kids meal,' ya know?

It might be worth looking into whether the DP is even a good financial choice and may even open up a few more options for your DD when ordering if you go OOP.

Maybe avoid the places that you've had issues in the past :confused3 You could write to Disney and see what they say wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com - they might have some tips for you.

Thanks, I may email and see what they say. Maybe if I can get a response and print it out to show the cashiers? :shrug

I am going to avoid Sunshine Seasons, for sure, and I have looked at the menus and tried to find some places where I think she'll order off the adult menu, but the veggie options are usually few and far between, so we may just revert back to PoP if we have to.

I had totally forgotten about this issue (funny how you forget those things and just remember the magic when you go home!) :goodvibes In the future, I may decide against the dining plan, although this time it was part of the SPD pin that I got, so it was worth the savings. Luckily it's a short trip, so if I have to buy a dessert OOP once or twice in the span of our 4 nights there, that's just what I'll do!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!