ADRs? We Don't Need No Stinking ADRs - A Sept '14 Dining Report - THAT'S A WRAP 3/5

Enjoying your reviews! Too bad Restaurant Marrakesh was disappointing. We ate there last trip because we wanted to try something different. While I don't remember anything terrible it wasn't that great. And I seem to remember the hosts being sorta rude. If I recall correctly I complemented one gal's hair and she gave me the stink eye. Huh. :confused: :rotfl2: Oh my gosh, that fried pickle alone has me reconsidering my HS ADRs for our upcoming trip. ;) Also, you got some great pics of your food there. Thanks for posting about Boardwalk Bakery. I hope to eat there at least once this trip. That's an interesting lobster roll. My favorite local place for lobster rolls serves them either cold with mayo or warm with butter so that's in interesting combo of both. I'll have to try it!

Thanks! Marrakech was definitely a disappointment. Felt bad I'd led us astray, but it won't happen next time ; )

SciFi was a fun place to eat and the pickles were great. Since counter service is so bad at MGM is was a good option.

Mmm warm lobster rolls and butter. Got me rethinking dinner tonight ; )

While Casey was napping we were able to snag a ressie to one of our favorite restaurants on property, Flying Fish. We've absolutely loved every meal we've eve had there, so SCORE!!!! We had some time between nap time and dinner, so we decided to hit the Boardwalk's pool. Casey was in 7th heaven with the water slide, i found the exit through the clown mouth slightly creepy and disturbing. Lord help anyone who ventures here with a clown phobia. Say Cheese.... As it got closer to the ressie someone was not thrilled I'd pulled her from the pool, but we eventually walked the entire 50 feet to our disney food mecca Once inside I'm sure you won't be surprised that we went straight to the wine list to see what the fish had to offer us today. We were thrilled to see they had a bottle of one of our favorite wine varietals - Gruner Veltliner - an Austrian wine that is often hard to find on restaurant menus (I clearly stole this photo off the internet, but this is the one we had) If you've never had a Gruner Veltliner its is a very crisp and acidic white wine that tends to have some citrus notes and just a little bit of spice. I am usually a red wine kinda girl, but Gruner is that one rare exception that when I see it I'm all over it. This wine didn't disappoint and was nicely balanced and so crisp it was almost effervescent. It paired nicely with our food choices, speaking of which.... We decided to start an app we'd enjoyed in the past, the Crispy Togarashi-scented Calamari and Florida Rock Shrimp with Spiced Green Papaya, Wakame, and Vegetable Julienne with an Asian-inspired Dipping Sauce. While I have no idea what Togarashi means and how it scents things, but the calamari and rock shrimp were perfectly cooked and crisp and the green papaya it is served with was the perfect pairing. I could take or leave the dipping sauce - its mostly just soy sauce - but that papaya is where its at. For our entree's Jason ordered the Key West Pink Shrimp and Calico Bay Scallop Pappardelle Pasta - Fricassee of Young Squash, Spring Onions, Tiny Tomatoes, and Local Basil with a Fennel Pollen-scented Chardonnay Crema He's usually sticks to meats at the flying fish but I think he gravitated to this beauty because of the Key West shrimp (besides Disney, we frequent Florida for this little American/Caribbean dream). Whatever his thinking was this was delicious. The pasta was clearly freshly made and the shrimp and scallops were cooked to perfection. The squash added a little crunch to the dish and while I didn't pick up a ton of fennel flavor, the basil added some nice flavor to what was clearly a very healthy wine and butter laden sauce. One wouldn't think a seafood restaurant would do pasta so well, but last year my Mom had ordered their bolognese and it was hands down the best we've ever had (and we're italian and cook it at home and Jason once specialized in Italian food in his restaurant so that is saying a lot). For Casey and I our choice was easy, I saw scallops, I saw artichokes, I saw heaven Meet the Oak-grilled Maine Sea Scallops - Confit Artichoke Bottoms, crispy Young Artichokes, Local Tomatoes, Basil, Pecorino Romano, and Mascarpone-laced Risotto di Carnaroli. This dish was pure perfection. The scallops were nicely grilled, yet remained tender and sweet, and why have artichokes one way when there can be 2! Please and thank you. The risotto was extremely creamy and was a great compliment to the heartier scallops. After literally licking our plates clean we ordered a cheese plate to go so we could enjoy it with some wine in our room later that night. But our waiter - who by the way was friendly and attentive - then surprised us with some birthday dessert. Creme brule for me... And he even brought Casey her own little "fondue" with an assortment of cakes and fruit to dip in it. It was very thoughtful and she absolutely loved it. Meet two stuffed and happy girls... This was our most expensive meal of the trip, given the bottle of wine and cheese plate to go, but with the tables in wonderland card we saved $34.05. 20% off alcohol is a magical thing indeed ; ) Being eternally stuffed, we enjoyed a leisurely walk down the boardwalk and were able to catch a magic and juggling act. We finally made it back to our room, but the cheese in the frig (no chance we were eating anything else that night) and basked in the glow of our perfect evening.

Oh, I've been waiting for your Flying Fish review. The food looks amazing. I've never heard of that wine you ordered but the way you described it sounds like exactly what I like. I will have to look for it. :thumbsup2

The dishes you ordered look absolutely amazing. FF is the one signature restaurant we're going to in April. We're even dropping our boys off at the Sandcastle Club so we can have a "date night." It's going to be so hard to choose. Thanks for sharing your pictures. :goodvibes

The scallop and artichoke dish was delicious! So glad you enjoyed it! Flying Fish is our new first night tradition since moving over to the Epcot area resorts. Can't wait until August! Love your reviews and your daughter is so adorable!

Glad to read your positive review of Flying Fish! My sister and I are going to do the 5 course chef's table with wine pairings next month. Have you ever done that before?

Now that's what I need to try next trip to FF. Tried the potato crusted fish last time and wasn't a fan, but both of your dishes look delicious.

Couldn't agree with you more about the clown slide. My youngest has no desire to stay at BW thanks to it!

Loved reading your reviews!! Can't wait to try some of the places you mentioned when we are there in March for a quick mommy/daughter trip!:cool1:

Oh, I've been waiting for your Flying Fish review. The food looks amazing. I've never heard of that wine you ordered but the way you described it sounds like exactly what I like. I will have to look for it. :thumbsup2 The dishes you ordered look absolutely amazing. FF is the one signature restaurant we're going to in April. We're even dropping our boys off at the Sandcastle Club so we can have a "date night." It's going to be so hard to choose. Thanks for sharing your pictures. :goodvibes
Flying fish is definitely a must do for us, so I hope you have as great a time. And get the wine if they have. After typing this up the other day it had me craving it something fierce. Couldn't find the same winery, but enjoyed a nice bottle over the weekend.
The scallop and artichoke dish was delicious! So glad you enjoyed it! Flying Fish is our new first night tradition since moving over to the Epcot area resorts. Can't wait until August! Love your reviews and your daughter is so adorable!
Hope you enjoy your April trip, we will definitely fit it in sometime next month. Fingers crossed for more artichokes and scallops on the menu. And Casey says thanks :)
Glad to read your positive review of Flying Fish! My sister and I are going to do the 5 course chef's table with wine pairings next month. Have you ever done that before?
I've never had the chefs table but that sounds amazing. After our meals there I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Be sure to report back on it.

That clown slide IS creepy!

Yay for bonus dessert at the end of the meal.

Glad to know I'm not the only one on the creepy clown train. Now if he served desert that may be another story ; )

Now that's what I need to try next trip to FF. Tried the potato crusted fish last time and wasn't a fan, but both of your dishes look delicious.

Couldn't agree with you more about the clown slide. My youngest has no desire to stay at BW thanks to it!

If they have the scallops definitely go for it. I had the potato fish on our first trip and I wasn't a huge fan either. I've found their seasonal items tend to be the best.

Great FF review :thumbsup2

Thanks!!!!!!!

Loved reading your reviews!! Can't wait to try some of the places you mentioned when we are there in March for a quick mommy/daughter trip!:cool1:

Thanks for eating along with me. A mommy/daughter trip sounds awesome, can't wait till mine is a little older and I'm ready to brave it alone.

Today was the day I'd been waiting for the whole trip, it was food and wine time baby...

We were slow moving this morning, but around 9:30 we finally took the short walk over to Ep-A-Cot and enjoyed a peaceful trip through an almost empty international gateway. Casey and I felt the need to stop for the prototypical Canadian shot.

Then we took our first spin on the redesigned test track. The build your own car wasn't working for us, but I think I'm in the minority of liking this version better. This was Casey's first ride on it, we weren't sure how'd she'd do with the speed but you can see for yourself that she loved it....
http://vid1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh591/kastoney/Test%20track.mp4

We had some time before food and wine opened up and while contemplating what to do, Casey figured that out for herself.

I still have no idea what the draw with getting soaking wet it absent a pool, but this kid was having the time of her life.

Jason took on some residuals too...

While we were getting Casey dried up, a few chefs walked by to set-up what i thought was a food demonstration. Turns out they were a musical act, which was a fun food and wine surprise.

We let Casey pick one more ride before we headed to food and wine and she of course picked journey into imagination for the umpteenth time this week. This time we got to ride with a very pleasant woman who found it necessary to laugh obnoxiously to the jokes that even Casey didn't find amusing. It clearly was not her umpteenth time.

Then it was finally time for our first ever stroll through food and wine. We got Casey her babysitter (aka her iPad)

and we were off.

First stop was Hawaii, where we elected to try the Kalua Pork Slider with sweet and sour pineapple chutney and spicy mayonnaise along with a Kona Brewing Company, Castaway IPA.

The pork was very tender and the chutney added some sweetness and crunch and the mayo a nice kick. The IPA was one of our favorites of the day and was good and refreshing.

Up next was Patagonia and while Jason went for food, Casey wanted to meet Duffy.

By the time we got done with Duffy, this is what Jason had left for me...

Generous of him huh? For those that can't tell what this is the remnants of its the Grilled beef skewer with chimichurri sauce and boniato purée and a glass of Argentinian Malbec. The little I had of the steak was good and the chimichurri and a great garlic flavor. The boniato (aka white sweet potato) was pretty flavorless and lumpy, so Jason could have eaten all of that. The Malbec fell a little flat to me, but I tend to like more full bodied reds.

From Patagonia we headed North to Mexico where we sampled the Shrimp taco with fried shrimp, pickled habanero pepper and onions on a flour tortilla and a dos equis.

The shrimp were nicely cooked and tender, but for a habanero the peppers were too mild for my liking and I think this would have been better on a corn instead of a flour tortilla. The Dos Equis, was well Dos Equis, something a little more unique would have been appreciated but the beer of the most interesting man in the world is always a good go to.

Next up was the Farm Fresh booth where we couldn't decide between the two entrees, so we went for both.

On the left is the Nueske’s Pepper Bacon Hash with sweet corn, potatoes, hollandaise and pickled jalapeño. This had a nice heat and the bacon and corn were a nice compliment to each other. Compared to other pictures I've seen this one was lacking on hollandaise and it if had an egg on top it would have been pure perfection. Despite my need to reinvent the dish for them I think this was my favorite food of the day, but it could have been even more delicious if executed better.

On the right is Griddled “Yard Bird” with braised greens and house-made habanero sauce. The chicken was nice and moist, but the skin was not crispy at all. I'm a sucker for greens so I enjoyed these and the habanero sauce had a great kick (someone should give the recipe to the Mexico booth). We washed these down with an Orlando Brewing Company I-4 IPA, which was good but a little too hoppy for my liking.

That's where I'll leave it for today, but there is more food and wine to come....

There is just something magically exciting to littles about water. The pictures of her playing in the splash area are great!

I'm loving your review. Even if my husband desperately wants to do Club Level now (incentive to get him to go back for a second trip). I'm loving the F&W pics. We'll be there during F&W this year and I'm so excited!

Love those Pork Sliders at the Hawaii booth. They are one of my favs at the festival. September can't come soon enough :goodvibes

That is so awesome that you got to go to Food and Wine...problem is now that my kids are in school it never seems to happen at the right time....one day....but yes, I am excited about our mommy/daughter trip. My DD is 9 so I think just the perfect age for it.

Great reviews! Don't know if I'm brave enough to do no ADR's, but I might try to do less next time.

There is just something magically exciting to littles about water. The pictures of her playing in the splash area are great!

Thanks. My 40 year old self clearly doesn't understand, but she was definitely in her element.

I'm loving your review. Even if my husband desperately wants to do Club Level now (incentive to get him to go back for a second trip). I'm loving the F&W pics. We'll be there during F&W this year and I'm so excited!

Thanks. Club level for us was worth it with the annual pass discount factored in. But then again I can eat and drink my weight in a single stay ; ). Couldn't get the numbers to work next trip but hopefully again soon.

You will love food and wine. Got my fingers crossed we can go back again this fall

Love those Pork Sliders at the Hawaii booth. They are one of my favs at the festival. September can't come soon enough :goodvibes

Yep, pork sliders were where it was at. They were one of my favs too and set some pretty high expectations for the rest.

That is so awesome that you got to go to Food and Wine...problem is now that my kids are in school it never seems to happen at the right time....one day....but yes, I am excited about our mommy/daughter trip. My DD is 9 so I think just the perfect age for it.

Pixie dust you can make it to food and wine some day. Mine is just in preschool so we are cramming as much as we can in before real school starts.

A mommy daughter trip sounds amazingly. I get more leave than the hubby so hoping there are some of those in our future. Hope you have an amazing time.

Great reviews! Don't know if I'm brave enough to do no ADR's, but I might try to do less next time.

Thanks. As long as your are flexible on your plans, no ADRs can work. Though I broke my rule this morning and for our trip next month and got fast passes for be our guest. While not technically an ADR, it felt odd to be ordering food I won't be eating for 27 days. #onlyindisney

In our continuing food and wine journey we decided to make a stop in Norway, not knowing at the time that this would be our last trip ever on Maelstrom. So sad, but now I will finally be able to travel to the country of Airendale which I read so much about in my history and geography classes in school. :)

Good bye dear friend

But at least I got to take my own Viking home

Continuing on our Journey we stopped in South Korea next where we partook in the Kimchi Dog with spicy mustard sauce.

I was disappointed this was only half a dog, but the kimchi added a nice kick to the dog. The hot dog itself had some heat to it too, so Casey was rather disappointed she didn't get to partake in this one.

From there, Jason took Casey over to Germany to watch the train while I waited in line for some Polish food. I elected to order the sauerkraut pierogi with pork goulash and a Okocim O.K. Beer.

Of all the dishes we tried, I was most disappointed with this one. Now I admit that I'm spoiled and have a mother who is half Czech so I grew up eating home made pierogi's. I had zero appreciation for this as a child, but when what was clearly a Mrs. T's frozen pierogi was put in front of me I was grossly disappointed. That aside, the "sauerkraut" pierogi had no discernible sauerkraut taste and it was definitely overcooked. The goulash had good flavor and the pork was nice and tender, but it could never compete with Mom's. Note to self, in the future avoid anything that resembles something yo Momma can make. I took no notes on the beer, but presumably it was cold, wet, and beer.

After an unsuccessful journey to Eastern Europe, we decided to head back home to the good ole U.S. of A for a trip to the Hops n Barley booth. Here we got the Florida grass fed beef slider with pimento cheese and a New Belgium Snapshot Beer. Here's the burger and my hubby's version of a burger bomb..

The burger was a little too on the well done side for me, but this was good and the pimento cheese was a nice addition. We make these at home sometimes and add either a tomato jam or fried green tomato. This one could have used something like that to add some acid and sweetness to the mix. The beer was good and nice and hoppy as the booth name promised. Jason enjoyed them both.

Casey had been a trooper throughout the day, but we were nearing nap time and her patience for no rides and hours of eating was waining. To throw her a proverbial bone, we got in line to meet Sleeping Beauty while Jason waited for some provisions from the Brazilian Booth.

In Brazil, Jason picked up the Crispy Pork Belly with Black Beans, Tomato, and Cilantro paired with a Kaiser Brewery Xingu Black Beer and some Cocadas aka Brazilian coconut candy for dessert.

The pork belly was not crispy as the name had promised, but had great flavor. The real star here was the black beans, which were almost refried in texture and had a nice smokey flavor. Surprisingly I also enjoyed the beer. I'm not usually a fan of darker beers but this one was smooth and surprisingly light. And the coconut candy was awesome. I'm sitting here right now wondering if I could find some for breakfast ; )

From there we walked back to the Boardwalk (such a nice feature) and contemplated, what else but what to have for dinner. Hint we scored a last minute ressie to one of the best views in the world.

Overall, food and wine was an amazing experience that I'm hoping we can repeat again this year. Next time I'll probably try for 2 days just so we can try more of the offerings and add some more character visits to the mix to appease my jr. little foodie. I'll also stick to wine and not beer, so I don't fill up unnecessarily on hops and barley :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter