Adopted 2 year old dog, changing it's name? Updated, pic pg 2!

ZachnElli

<font color=green>Is it Spring yet?<br><font color
My son and his girlfriend adopted a dog yesterday from the humane society. She's super cute and very friendly, the humane society said she is approximately 2 years old and a pug/chihuahua mix. She was left in the night box, so not alot of info, but her name is Gizzy. Yeah, terrible name, they want to change it to Bella. Anybody have any luck changing the name of a rescue pup? Any tips?

Our first lab was approx one and a half years old when he came into the shelter. They said he was a stray so he got renamed and we never had any issues. I guess he caught on quickly. Sorry no advice to give. Good idea to change that name.

I make up a new stupid nickname for my dog all the time and he's fared well. Actually now he just responds to "dog" too haha. I don't think you'll have any issues changing the name...

We adopted a 2-year old dog last year. Don't know his back story other than he was at Animal Care Services and then a rescue organization who saved him from euthanasia. I suspect he's had several names. And we gave him a new one. I've called him by the name the rescue organization gave him and he doesn't bat an eye. Then call him by the name we gave him and he immediately responds. So should not be a problem at all.

My sister adopted a dog for me once. They weren't sure how old she was, maybe about 1-2 years was their best guess. The name she came with was Tinkerbell. I called her Muffin (short for Ragamuffin, since she was a mixed breed with messy, short/long hair). It didn't take long for her to realize that was her name.

I think it will be fine. My dog is named Olive but she also responds to Dumbo, Dumbosaur, Dumbosaurus........

LOL! She didn't come to any name last night, not even Gizzy the name on the note left with her. But it was a big day for her. She was dropped off on the 30th, they spayed her, then adopted her out all within a few days.

It's really the "tone" (and preferably the eye contact) that they're responding to as much as their name, so change it to whatever you want. Just have the new owner croon in a happy high pitched voice, "Beeelllllaaaa" and follow it up with a yummy treat, and she'll learn it toot sweet!

Terri

A friend that is a veterinarian adopted a rescue dog that was a few years old and changed her name; no problems at all- dog caught on very quickly to her new name and home.

I am a foster parent for dogs. Most people that adopt from us change the name. I adopted my 5 year old Yorkie and changed her name. She learned very quickly.

When DS and DDIL adopted their dog from a rescue they were told they should change his name. The name he had was given by the rescue group as he was a stray. They recommend it to remove any negative connotations associated with their previous name/life. They've had him two years (he's about 4 now) and he knew his name pretty quickly, but of course dogs really recognize tone of voice more than the name itself, but still, it's fine to change their name. He is the sweetest dog I have ever known. I'd love to know his story.

We picked a name similar to what our dog had at the pound, but I'm pretty sure it was a new name they gave her anyway.

I think Gizzy is a cute name! But I agree, there will be little trouble changing it. As yoopermom said, they respond more to tone than anything anyways.

I think it is funny how we all name our dogs, and then give them loads of nick-names too. I have an Elliott that responds to Elly and Igore, as well as Wee Man. I also have an Echo that answers to Echo Luna and Pookie. :dogdance:

I don't think there will be any trouble with the name issue. I call my pup a couple of different names and she always comes running. I agree there must be pictures. I have a 1 y/o old Chug, Chihuahua and pug mixes are known as Chugs evidently. I found that out shortly after adopting mine.

I've only changed the name of one pet...a mare named Emmit. We call her Emma.

Our last dog came to us as a nameless stray and had no problem learning a new name at 6yo. She probably had a name before - she was malnourished from her time on the streets but wearing a collar, knew basic commands like sit, stay, and come, and was absolutely desperate for human attention (we suspect she was left behind by someone who was foreclosed/evicted) - but it took all of two or three days for her to have a firm grasp that she was Lady.

We changed the name on our 2-3 yo adopted dog. No problems, it was more about tone. If you sound excited to call them they respond in kind. Just use the new name a lot in the beginning. Our went from something like Sparky to Reginator!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter