Addontitis!!

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by MagicalMeg, Aug 5, 2013.

1. MagicalMeg

MagicalMeg Earning My Ears

Has struck! For our Dec 2012 trip we had a BLT 1 Bdrm lake view (it was me, DH, DS 6 mos, and MiL). I think we had extra points that year because of developer points we had from purchasing in 2011....anywho we had enough points so we did it!

But now, we went for 9 days this summer, DH, me and DS1 in a SSR studio. And we have a tripe booked for Nov, 4 nights in a BLT studio. Planning our trip for next summer, looks like its going to be another studio because we want to stay 10 days .... Only this time DS will be 2 and we will have a 3 months old as well (yay!). But a studio....oh my. :(. I will miss the laundry. And the living room space.

I wan more points! Ah!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Official Ticket Center is Orlando’s #1 discount attraction ticket agency, selling millions of Walt Disney tickets around the world.

to hide this adverts.
  3. Sandisw

Sandisw Moderator Moderator

That's how it starts!! I am up to 430 now and still not sure it's enogh!!!

4. MagicalMeg

We currently have 180 at BLT, but we have Sept UY. Now that DH is a teacher (career change) that's a horrible use year since our big trips will always be June or July. When we bought we planned on December trips, hence the amount and UY.

More reasons for addonitis!!

5. bwvBound

bwvBound DVC SSR & other timeshare

MagicalMeg - would the add-on have to be DVC? We trade into DVC through RCI (and previously II) using other timeshare almost every year. For me the DVC points are a back-up plan in case our exchange request failed. This idea might not be quite as fun as buying more DVC ... but might be worth exploring and considering.

6. MagicalMeg

I had never thought of trading into DVC.... I have zero knowledge of other timeshares....would you have any resources you could suggest for research? I'm assuming you're suggesting this because it may be cheaper than DVC? Perhaps buy in cost &/or maintenance fees?

7. ain0004

ain0004 Mouseketeer

I know the feeling up to 400 points and well. I wish we had 100 more,

8. bwvBound

bwvBound DVC SSR & other timeshare

Ah, you might want to start with the Timeshare Advice topics on the Timeshare Users Group (TUG) website. There are Timeshare 101 topics, a checklist to consider for purchase selection, etc. Some of the articles are dated -- but still provide a helpful starting point. You might also jump into the discussions on the TUG forums. Take a long time (6 months or more) before making any purchases. Timeshares are EASY to buy and DIFFICULT to exit.

9. RebelSoul

RebelSoul Mouseketeer

We have 600 and I still want to add on 200 more in the future. (Poly maybe?) Even at that point...it probably still won't be enough for me. Addonitis is very itchy!

10. WonderinAland

WonderinAland Mouseketeer

Have 200 BLT, added 225 BWV at the beginning of the year. Will almost definitely buy some Poly if it really happens... Itch... Itch...

11. JWG

JWG DIS Veteran

It's a common problem around these parts, and best not discussed. We're enablers ;).

Our 3rd purchase just filed with Orange County and we're waiting on the contract to be loaded to our account.

12. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Addonitis means annual member fees go UP, UP, UP.

13. MagicalMeg

I know! That's what's keeping us from buying. Although I've thought about buying extra & renting those out to cover dues. Right now I'm wanting to add about 200-250 for our needs ( 1 Bdrm BLT in July, preferably LV).

14. Deb & Bill

DVC could restrict renting in some way, so only buy what you need.

15. nalajms

nalajms DIS Veteran

I've heard discussions on this but haven't been able to work out the math to justify this. I also looked at RCI to transfer in. My calculations showed a higher maintenance fee and buy-in wasn't that much lower than an SSR resale contract.

We may also move from Thanksgiving/early Dec vacations to summer. To hold off on buying more points, I got some transfer points. That should hold us through next year! Until we're sure how we'll vacation once kids are in school, I plan to just borrow and transfer when we need.

16. DVC Mike

DVC Mike DVC & Photography for me! BLT/VGF/BWV DIS Lifetime Sponsor

I've added on 30 times after we purchased our original DVC contract.

Does that qualify as addonitis?

;)

17. Deb & Bill

You are the poster child, Mike. Next Labor Day Marathon will be for you. One sick puppy. ;)

18. michelleiada

michelleiada DIS Veteran

We bought 250 BCV points a year ago. I'm now itching for more. Looking at AKV points now. Not a lot of DVC resale inventory available right now though!

19. holula

holula DIS Veteran

We started with 170. Two months later added on with 109... So 279 total. But it's not enough! And I want to own at BWV. Or the eventual (hopeful) Poly!

BF has promised that if they build another DVC in CA, we can add on there enough points for a trip every other year.