Additional lens is it worth getting

Bobmc27

Earning My Ears
First off this a really last minute decision. Here's what I'm trying to decide for my trip to WDW. Camera is a Nikon D 5100 and I have the kit 18-55 and the 55-200. I'm considering adding a Nikon 35mm f1.8 to the mix but not sure if it's going to really be worth the extra $$ at this point. Opinions please.

I assume you want the f/1.8 aperture because you want to do some low life photography...perhaps some dark ride pics?

If so, then buying some fast glass like the 35mm f/1.8 will help you with your low light shots.

Overall I have heard some good things about this lens....and it's pretty inex*****ve to boot.

I assume you want the f/1.8 aperture because you want to do some low life photography...perhaps some dark ride pics?

If so, then buying some fast glass like the 35mm f/1.8 will help you with your low light shots.

Overall I have heard some good things about this lens....and it's pretty inex*****ve to boot.

Did you switch over the s and the i in 'expensive'? :rotfl2: How do I know this ....

I have to agree with Traylorc about the fast glass. I have a 50 mm F1.8. It won't autofocus on the D5100 body but will work fine if you are happy with manual focus. It is cheaper than the 35 mm lens you are looking at, although there were times when the 50mm was a little tight so if you CAN afford the 35 mm I would definitely go for it.

I will give you an example:

I watched the FOTLK show twice. First time I had my kit lens on and took photos. They were meh at best and almost every one of them ended up being deleted. I went again, sacrificing the zoom for fixed focus and wider aperture with the 50 mm and tried again and came home with a fair few that I am pretty happy with. If for the no flash low light shots that extra wide aperture option will make the world of difference.

If you like taking pictures in dark rides, I'd say it's perfect. 35mm seems to be a good width to get a scene as you ride by in Pirates or other dark rides, and the large aperture helps you get more light.

As with any purchase, it's good if it solves a problem for you.

I agree with WBeem, if your goal is the dark rides then it is an inexpensive way to go. I use the Sigma 30 f1.4 which is more than twice the price of the the 35 f1.8. With the usable high ISO of the 5100 (same sensor as my Pentax K5), your slower kit lenses may work in the lower light shows by using a higher ISO setting. The dark rides are another issue altogether. If you're not looking to shoot the dark rides then I see no reason to purchase the lens just for WDW.

Have you thought about renting this lens for your trip? That way you have it for the trip and you can see how you like it and if it is something you would use much outside of WDW before investing in it only to find you don't have much use for it. This option has worked well for me in the past. Good Luck with your decision.

I assume you want the f/1.8 aperture because you want to do some low life photography...

The kit lense will work just fine for this. A point and shoot will work great too. Low Lifes don't much to much :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Had to quote since i got a good chuckle from this. Knew what you meant. I would not mind picking up a 1.4 to go with the 10-24 and 24-70 i have now.

I use the 35mm f/1.8 and love it. I also bought it for a specific purpose (not WDW) but its not that expensive. You can get one for about $150 (used) a local camera shop. LOL Interestingly enough, after playing with it I know what lens I REALLY want, but its on a Cannon. oh well!

You won't regret having this lens. It will be a great addition to your kit.

Since the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 is relatively cheap, it's going to come in very handy. I just returned from my trip where I had picked up the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 (I shoot Canon, so the cheap 35mm f/1.8 isn't available to me) and it was the perfect focal length for most of the dark rides. The speed of the lens should also be pretty nice with the dark ride/low light photography (I used a 50mm 1.8 last year, while the focal length was a bit tight, the speed worked out fine).

In fact, of the 3097 shots I'm working through (still need to combine HDR and remove dupes and slightly less bads than the ones I already dropped), 1754 of them were shot with the 30mm. I really liked that focal length/lens :p.

If you came here to find someone to talk you out of buying a lens then you came to the wrong place! ;) We are here for you, to help you spend $$$!

A low light lens is always a useful accessory, whether for indoors or for night. I used my 25 f/1.4 a lot on our recent trip to WDW and it worked well. The 35 is a good choice for your camera, get it!

I vote to pick one up used. You can find it around $150. I've had it and its a great lens.

Why has no one mentioned about creating less DOF, bokeh, portraits. I used it as a walk around lens on my D5100. You cant beat it for the price.

Dont think of it as just a lowlight lens. Youll be amazed how sharp it is compared to your kit lenses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter