Added an extra person at the last minute

Grmnshplvr

DIS Veteran
I was lucky enough to get all the dining reservations I wanted when I booked them months ago, today my aunt decided to join our trip so I added her but now when I called to change my dining reservations 4 out of the 6 they couldn't increase by 1. The woman at disney said to try again in a week or two (we go end of August). If I leave my reservations as they are do you think it'd be a problem when we go to breakfast and have 1 more person with us?

What number are you going from and to? If it changes the table top needed then they might not be able to seat you.

going from 6 to 7 on some, and 10 to 11 on others
Which restaurants? It's very possible that the extra person could be turned away. Be prepared with a plan in case that happens. If you all walk away, they'll charge you the no-show fee.

Some restaurants are more accommodating, and some at the resorts are never full for breakfast. Others are constantly at capacity.

Going from an even number to an odd number, like you are, often means you need a larger table. I think it is very possible that they will not be able to accomodate the new party size. As supersnoop says, you need a Plan B. If they can not seat you , will she eat alone? Will you all walk away and be charge the $10/person no show fee? Will you continue to try for new ADR's?
Good Luck

the ones they weren't able to add her on to were Sci Fi din in, mickeys backyard bbq, tusker house, and chef mickey

Can you find a reservation for 2 at a close time? Then you can ask to be seated near each other and you can arrange so some set of 2 people get a private dinner if you don't get seated near each other.

the ones they weren't able to add her on to were Sci Fi din in, mickeys backyard bbq, tusker house, and chef mickey
Tusker House has their own policy to accommodate as many people as you show up with. So you'll be fine there.

Sci-Fi and the Back Yard Bbq have limited seating, so I think you're out of luck at those. Chef Mickey is always packed solid, so I wouldn't attempt it there, either.

Tusker House has their own policy to accommodate as many people as you show up with. So you'll be fine there.

Sci-Fi and the Back Yard Bbq have limited seating, so I think you're out of luck at those. Chef Mickey is always packed solid, so I wouldn't attempt it there, either.

good news they were able to change my Mickey's bbq to 11 people. Still worried about sci fi and chef mickey's. I'll keep trying everyday. Hoping someone will cancel.

Can you find a reservation for 2 at a close time? Then you can ask to be seated near each other and you can arrange so some set of 2 people get a private dinner if you don't get seated near each other.
thats a great idea. I will try that.

and now we have ANOTHER person added. For one dinner I ended up splitting the reservation between our group, I have two still I wasn't able to add on Tusker House and Chef Mickey's Hoping for some cancellations.

Hope you don't have any problems, I'm worried about the same thing at the moment as my friend has now decided to join me on what was a solo trip and i haven't been able to change all my ADR's from 1 to 2 people

I just logged on to ask the same question. We will be a going from a group of 5 to 6. Mickey's BYBBQ will not let me add the new person, and shows no availability for one that night. I also tried to get a reservation for 1 at BOG at the same time as the 5 of us have one, but could not. I'm hoping we'll be able to just show up, as it should not change the table size. Let us know, Grmnshpdlvr, how it goes for you!

I've never seen this. Just show up and change nothing. You will be fine.

You can't say that for sure. Odds are good they can fit in an extra guest, but it is not unheard of for a restaurant to be full and have to turn away people not accounted for on the ADR.

One person having success only indicates sometimes they can add people with no problem at the restaurant. It doesn't indicate that they are able to do it every time for every ADR. The best thing to do is to change the ADR ahead of time to the proper number. Showing up with an extra should always be the last resort. And done with the knowledge that they may be turned away. A back up plan is always a good thing.

I just logged on to ask the same question. We will be a going from a group of 5 to 6. Mickey's BYBBQ will not let me add the new person, and shows no availability for one that night. I also tried to get a reservation for 1 at BOG at the same time as the 5 of us have one, but could not. I'm hoping we'll be able to just show up, as it should not change the table size. Let us know, Grmnshpdlvr, how it goes for you!
You're out of luck at the BYBBQ. What meal are you eating at BOG? They don't seat to capacity at dinner, so you shouldn't have a problem adding one person.

Hope you don't have any problems, I'm worried about the same thing at the moment as my friend has now decided to join me on what was a solo trip and i haven't been able to change all my ADR's from 1 to 2 people

I think you should be fine, the table top size for 1 will most likely be the same small table they would assign for 2 - bet you will be just fine - good luck!

good news they were able to change my Mickey's bbq to 11 people. Still worried about sci fi and chef mickey's. I'll keep trying everyday. Hoping someone will cancel.

That's ideal but if it doesn't work out, just show up.

THE QUESTION OF AN EXTRA PERSON or EXTRA PEOPLE (the "411"):
1) Disney is getting wise to the "but, they decided to join us" or "I miscounted".
2) People can't always get the ADR they want.
3) So, they under-count to get a table.
4) Then, they show up with "unexpected" additional people.
5) In a team meeting, CM's have been told to warn guests against this.
6) If there is room, WDW will not turn away revenue.
7) But, if busy, they will turn away the additions.
8) Go ahead and arrive with the extras, if you like.
9) Just be prepared to have someone stand around while you eat.
10) I have heard explanations such as . . .
. . . "but, Aunt Suzy decided to join us and we need an extra seat"
. . . "but, two friends from off-site decided to join us and we need a extra seats"
. . . "but, brother-in-law decided to join us and we need an extra seat"
. . . "but, the entire Boy Scout Troop decided to join us and we need 14 extra sets"
. . . "but, my baby is so small that I didn't count her in the number of eaters"
NOTE1: It is far easier going from an odd-number to an even number, such as from 7-people to
8-people, adding a person to an even number of diners, such as going from 6-people to 7-people.
Adding odd person can mean adding a table, and this might not be possible. Going from an odd-
to-even might only mean adding a chair or using an empty seat. So, if going from even-to-odd,
you might not get the extra person a seat. It is always better to get another ADR with the
proper people-count.
NOTE2: Frequently a party-of-two will try to add a third person at the podium. This can be
risky, because many eateries do have tables-for-two. If the guest was slated for one of thee,
there simply might not be a table available to seat the third person - even if an infant. The
extra chair location might extend into an aisle and block access for other guests or Servers.
NOTE3: Sometimes is a threesome adding a fourth. Unfortunately, there are many ateries that do
have 3-top tables - usually against a wall or pillar. They can't add a fourth chair, since that
would invade the aisle and be unsafe for SERVERS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter