Activia doesn't work what????

The Activia controversy is in Canada. And I point that out because, for two countries that border each other, the U.S. and Canadian governments come to wildly different conclusions on what is healthy to eat.

The U.S. banned cyclamates (for you kids, that was the artifical sweetener in all soft drinks at the time ) in 1969 because it was felt that they posed such a huge cancer risk...yet in Canada cyclamates are still legal to this day.

And the vegetable protein in the vegeterian foods made by Qorn as legal in the U.S., and in Canada, the government says it isn't fit for human consumption.

My gastro prescribed VSL#3 probiotic. He scoffed at Activia. VSL#3 is horribly expensive at $90.00 a bottle (otc, so no insurance coverage), but then 3 Activia's a day adds up too.

Would much rather take a pill than all the calories in 3 Activias.

The only person Activia has benefited is Jamie Lee Curtis.

:rotfl2: My daughter's gastro swears by Activia. And it solved her problem.

Actually whats in Activa that "regulates" your digestive system are varieties of Lactobacilisus-they are your normal intestinal floral that you tend to kill over time by eating too much sugar ( there is sugar in most packaged foods including mayo, salad dressing, ect and low fat anything almost always has a ton of sugar in it because fat is a flavor carrier and food producers replace it with sugar to make things taste good.) and taking antibiotics. You can replace it with out eating yogurt-which, unless you are eating plain yogurt has sugar in it -and is an aggrivation for people who are lactose intoleratant-and with out taking probiotics. Lacto fermented foods like homemade sourkraut, crocked pickles ( brined not canned in vinager) and kimchi ( again fermented and cold stored, not canned) have tons of lacto bacillis and can heal intestinatal issues and relieve systems of IBS. and for the poster who said Activia upset her worse, going from one extreme to the other can be as bad as having no intestinal floral. You kind of have to work up to it. Personally ive never eaten Activia-i eat plan home cultured and strained yogurt pretty much everyday tho.

Haha.. If it doesn't work, I am more likely to use it!

When I buy yogurt at home I get yo plait or Dannon. The thought of a yogurt that makes you poo icks me out.

But every time we are at a hotel free breakfast, there is that Activia yogurt. I love yogurt, but I refuse to try it and need to GO during a road trip.

So if it doesn't work... Yay I might try it sometime!

Lactose intolerant. Hate Activia. If I need anything, I increase my fluid intake and take some acidopholus while gradually increasing my fiber intake. I rarely need any assistance in this area and I sure wouldn't be taking in tons of dairy product to settle my system, regardless of what else was in it.
I've been lactose intolerant since birth, and have never had a problem with yogurt... Most of the lactose in yogurt has already been metabolized by the bacteria, so you shouldn't have any issues with it, unless there is something else in it that you may react to.

I've been lactose intolerant since birth, and have never had a problem with yogurt... Most of the lactose in yogurt has already been metabolized by the bacteria, so you shouldn't have any issues with it, unless there is something else in it that you may react to.

THis is my son. I didn't know that about yogurt and we were gradually working him up to try different things. He was tolerating some new things like gold fish so we decided to try yogurt. WEll it didn't go very well, 3 hours later it was coming back up. My per said he was more than lactose intolerant because of what you said, there isn't any lactose in yogurt because of the cultures in it. People look at me like I am crazy and that my pediatrician must be wrong. Glad to hear you say that also.

My gastro prescribed VSL#3 probiotic. He scoffed at Activia. VSL#3 is horribly expensive at $90.00 a bottle (otc, so no insurance coverage), but then 3 Activia's a day adds up too.

Would much rather take a pill than all the calories in 3 Activias.

If your GI doctor writes you a letter explaining why he has "prescribed" this for you, you can deduct it from your FSA account. I do this with the Align that I take. I have a letter than says its medically necessary for treatment of my IBS and to help prevent C Diff relapse. Check with your insurance company. I have Aetna and they allow this.

I'm starting to wonder now if the yogurt is having a placebo effect for me. I actually have IBS-D too, but I do seem to be better when I have 2 or 3 per day.

I hate taking them though as we don't have very man flavours in Canada and I am sick of eating that much.

I want to try align but agent heard many positive reports, and if the yogurt is working I don't wan to mess with it.

I'm amazed by this thread - who knew advertising worked this well? Though I suppose the ads wouldn't still be on and so focused on message if it didn't, but dang.

It's just crap sugar yogurt.

I too am weirded out by people referring to eating yogurt as "taking" as if it's medicinal.

If your GI doctor writes you a letter explaining why he has "prescribed" this for you, you can deduct it from your FSA account. I do this with the Align that I take. I have a letter than says its medically necessary for treatment of my IBS and to help prevent C Diff relapse. Check with your insurance company. I have Aetna and they allow this.

Thanks, I will give it a look as we also have Aetna. And it is definitely medically necessary as I had to have 12" of my bowel removed and a colostomy due to diverticulitis. All repaired, but I have to take to keep it from flaring up again. That is why my gastro laughed at Activia.

Align isn't refrigerated is it? More effected probiots are refrigerated. I get mine from a vitamin store. Actually I'm goign today to pick up some more as I have a 30% friends and family coupon. :cheer2:

Align isn't refrigerated is it? More effected probiots are refrigerated. I get mine from a vitamin store. Actually I'm goign today to pick up some more as I have a 30% friends and family coupon. :cheer2:

Maybe I should check out something like that. What brand do you use? And what type of store?

How about the GNC stores?

Maybe I should check out something like that. What brand do you use? And what type of store?

How about the GNC stores?

Yeah they probably have them. I go to the Vitamin Shoppe because I also buy my body wash and shampoos there. The one I currently use is Nature's Way Primadophilus Optima. It's really made a positive difference.

The lawsuit was all in the wording.

Dannon,, a French food-products multinational based in Paris, must remove the words "clinically" and "scientifically proven" from product labels and advertisements of Activia yogurt in reference to claims the product helps to regulate the digestive system.

In their place, the words "clinical studies show," or something similar, must be substituted.

Dannon also must note that Activia and DanActive yogurts are food, not treatments or cures for any medical disorder or disease.

Also, Dannon must remove the word "immunity" from DanActive labels and ads, as well as include a qualifier to the claim the yogurt "helps strengthen your body's defenses" or "helps support the immune system."

I say try it, if it works for you great, if not, move on.

Does it supposedly help more than any other yogurt? I eat Greek yogurt for breakfast because I love it. I don't really care if it has some sugar because I know how it has helped me.

Okay, one container of the regular strawberry yogurt is 120 calories, 2 grams of fat (1 saturated), 22 grams of carbs (19 of sugar), and 4 grams of protein. If you eat 3 of them a day you are eating 360 calories, 6 grams of fat (3 saturated), 66 grams of carbs (57 of sugar), and 12 grams of protein.

I can find so many better foods for 360 calories that have better macros then this junk.

I used to eat Activia back in the day when it first came out because I was looking for something to help with IBS. I found that it didn't really help with my symptoms at all. And the yogurt was tasty, but eating one every day was making me tired of it. I can't even imagine eating 3 of them a day like they now "recommend". Probiotic pills didn't seem to help either.

Now I drink Yakult and it has helped me immensely. Though it hasn't completely eliminated my GI upsets (but really, nothing is 100%), it has greatly reduced the frequency and intensity of my attacks. I feel better than I have in years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter