ABD Backstage Magic 7/31 - 8/5/11

I can't wait for this trip!! I received an envelope full of forms and info from ABD today -- I was so excited I did a little dance by the mailbox.

Looking forward to meeting Corey, Julie and the rest of our travelling buddies!

So glad I could help! We were really in a panic once we realized we wouldn't have time to see everything we wanted, and we really pushed ourselves til midnight every night to see more attractions after the ABD portion was done for the day. As it turns out, we were able to see a lot on our final day because we flew out just before midnight that night, but we were totally exhausted. :) Once I shifted my focus from trying to see it all to just thoroughly enjoying the things we saw in depth and catching whatever else we could, I was less panicked. Of course, we're getting an unexpected second shot at seeing what we missed in just under a year!

If we'd had the ability to schedule extra days, we wouldn't have felt so rushed, and we will probably try to do that in July. :cool1:

There would definitely be some advantages not rushing though - I love the parks but tend to rush from attraction to attraction so knowing we have the luxury of an AP and time, we can stop and smell the roses and enjoy all the little things that make a Disney trip so special. We'd probably leave late on the last day too, flights from LA to Auckland are usually around 9.30pm or 11pm so it gives us another almost full day of it.

I can't wait for this trip!! I received an envelope full of forms and info from ABD today -- I was so excited I did a little dance by the mailbox.

Ooooo mail too! Better keep a watch on my letterbox - though dare say it'll take a little longer to get to me!

So glad I could help! We were really in a panic once we realized we wouldn't have time to see everything we wanted, and we really pushed ourselves til midnight every night to see more attractions after the ABD portion was done for the day. As it turns out, we were able to see a lot on our final day because we flew out just before midnight that night, but we were totally exhausted. :) Once I shifted my focus from trying to see it all to just thoroughly enjoying the things we saw in depth and catching whatever else we could, I was less panicked. Of course, we're getting an unexpected second shot at seeing what we missed in just under a year!

If we'd had the ability to schedule extra days, we wouldn't have felt so rushed, and we will probably try to do that in July. :cool1:

Nitro,

I'm thinking of leaving on Sunday after the ABD portion. That should give us all Friday and Saturday to catch up on what we missed on the prior days and tour/soak in the parks. Do you think that sounds like enough time?

Nitro,

I'm thinking of leaving on Sunday after the ABD portion. That should give us all Friday and Saturday to catch up on what we missed on the prior days and tour/soak in the parks. Do you think that sounds like enough time?

That should probably be enough time for most people. I think Pete was saying on the podcast that they stayed 3 extra days this time, and 2 were probably enough. You really do get exhausted after all the touring and all the incredible experiences! It's a good problem to have. :)

We're all going to have so much fun on this trip! I'm sure we're all looking forward to touring with you and Julie and Pete and Walter and the rest of the group that's signed up! :cool1:

We agree with you on both of these posts! We are so excited to see Pete and Walter again, as well as meeting Julie and Corey!

We also feel the same about making the most of our time in the parks. Years ago we gave up the "commando" plan in favor of leisurely touring and saving something for the next time. This time we enjoyed being with the ABDers so much that we wanted to do as much with them as possible. So now we are contemplating adding at least one night to the end of the trip. We haven't decided yet. Lisa, what are you and Paul going to do?

We agree with you on both of these posts! We are so excited to see Pete and Walter again, as well as meeting Julie and Corey!

We also feel the same about making the most of our time in the parks. Years ago we gave up the "commando" plan in favor of leisurely touring and saving something for the next time. This time we enjoyed being with the ABDers so much that we wanted to do as much with them as possible. So now we are contemplating adding at least one night to the end of the trip. We haven't decided yet. Lisa, what are you and Paul going to do?

We don't do commando touring at WDW, but since it was only our second Disneyland trip each, we didn't want to miss anything. :rotfl:

I think we're probably going to try to add hopefully two nights to the end of the trip, but not likely at the Grand Californian rates. I guess it's too early to know what prices will be for that time of year for regular bookings...

This trip has peaked my interest in the California Adventure rehab. Looks like to me the trip is in the middle of the project. I've never been to DCA, but I am looking forward to riding Soarin' while in California and The Monster's Inc. ride. I hear Grizzly Rapids is a good raft ride, but short. Anywho, I'm one day closer to Imagineering and see the Studios! :thumbsup2

This trip has peaked my interest in the California Adventure rehab. Looks like to me the trip is in the middle of the project. I've never been to DCA, but I am looking forward to riding Soarin' while in California and The Monster's Inc. ride. I hear Grizzly Rapids is a good raft ride, but short. Anywho, I'm one day closer to Imagineering and see the Studios! :thumbsup2

Soarin' in California was really wonderful, and I love the queue there. The Monster's Inc. ride is worth at least two rides, and it's full of details that take a while to take in.

Grizzly River Run seems a lot longer than Kali River Rapids at Animal Kingdom, and I think it's a more enjoyable ride. I didn't ride it on this trip, but I did on my last DCA trip.

I just wanted to introduce myself since I will be going on the July trip with you guys. My name is Alta aka SleepingAriel28 and I have been on the boards for a while but as more of a lurker than a poster. I'm rather shy at first but once i warm up to people I can be quite the talker. I live in Washington State and work for Boeing. Disney has been a lifetime love of my family and on this trip it's just going to be me and my mother going (a nice mother daughter trip). We have been to both Disneyland and Disney World many times and are DVC members too. Well that is some basic info on me hope to get to you guys and see ya on the trip.

I just got my mother to sign up for the boards so she can talk to other people that are going in July also she is Disneynana03

We didn't know what to think of DCA either on our first trip because we had read so many negative reviews (mostly on other boards). However, we have been there 3 times and enjoyed it each time. DCA in our opinion is definately worth a visit!

We love both Soarin' and the Monster's Inc. ride, but we have yet to try Grizzly River Rapids. We just didn't have time to go on a ride where you could get soaked and then change clothes. We just don't like touring the parks all wet! As soon as we can fit in a ride with time for a costume change, we will.

Two rides we did this year that were first times for us were Tower of Terror and California Screaming. We had not done ToT before because we had heard WDW's was far superior, but we liked it! California Screaming was an awesome ride, and it's a fastpass.

On our first trip DS was 14 months old he started screaming every time we entered DCA. The only thing he liked was the carousel which he rode about 20 times. I was dizzy by the end of the day.

I just wanted to introduce myself since I will be going on the July trip with you guys. My name is Alta aka SleepingAriel28 and I have been on the boards for a while but as more of a lurker than a poster. I'm rather shy at first but once i warm up to people I can be quite the talker. I live in Washington State and work for Boeing. Disney has been a lifetime love of my family and on this trip it's just going to be me and my mother going (a nice mother daughter trip). We have been to both Disneyland and Disney World many times and are DVC members too. Well that is some basic info on me hope to get to you guys and see ya on the trip.

I just got my mother to sign up for the boards so she can talk to other people that are going in July also she is Disneynana03

Wow, it's a small world after all - I know someone who lives in Renton! Pretty place... I tend to be shy until I get to know people too, so I understand that. One thing we enjoyed on our trip was that we all got to know each other a bit before our trip, through our message board thread and through online chats and sharing our photos on the message board. Then we became fast friends, and it's always easy to talk to other people who love Disney as much as we do!

We didn't know what to think of DCA either on our first trip because we had read so many negative reviews (mostly on other boards). However, we have been there 3 times and enjoyed it each time. DCA in our opinion is definately worth a visit!

We love both Soarin' and the Monster's Inc. ride, but we have yet to try Grizzly River Rapids. We just didn't have time to go on a ride where you could get soaked and then change clothes. We just don't like touring the parks all wet! As soon as we can fit in a ride with time for a costume change, we will.

I loved DCA even in its original form, although I guess I can see how people from California may be less excited about seeing depictions of California in the parks. Maybe. I think DCA is a lot of fun, and I really enjoy how each land is themed.

I don't like getting wet in my clothes at all anymore, so I'm the one wearing a poncho on the wet rides! Laugh all you want, I'll be dry or pretty close to it. :rotfl: We didn't carry our ponchos with us daily, so we didn't end up riding GRR this trip. :)

It'll be interesting to see the changes at DCA mid rehab and there are quite a few things that have changed since we were last there in Oct 2005 anyway. Also at DL, the submarines are now open which I remember from when I was a child so looking forward to seeing that too.

Hi Alta - nice to meet you and look forward to meeting your Mom. I don't think I'll get mine to join but I'll keeping her updated on whats happening.

Where do you own for DVC? We own at SSR.

I've never ridden Grizzly River Rapids, the thought of being soaking wet and touring just doesn't appeal and when we were staying at DGC, it wasn't warm enough to ride and get wet so maybe in July it might be just hot enough for me to be brave. Though, I think I might wear something a little less transparent when wet than my Disboards t-shirt for that one, else some may end up with a show they didn't want to see :rotfl2:

I tend to be shy until I get to know people too, so I understand that. One thing we enjoyed on our trip was that we all got to know each other a bit before our trip, through our message board thread and through online chats and sharing our photos on the message board. Then we became fast friends, and it's always easy to talk to other people who love Disney as much as we do!

I can be quite quiet when I first meet people, though I'm a real chatterbox once I get started. I'm a very social person but takes me a little while to warm up and feel comfortable.

I loved DCA even in its original form, although I guess I can see how people from California may be less excited about seeing depictions of California in the parks. Maybe. I think DCA is a lot of fun, and I really enjoy how each land is themed.

I totally agree with all of this! I loved DCA as it was and I'm so happy that its different to the Florida parks and they didn't just cookie cutter it. The only section I'm not so in love with is the carnival type rides/attractions but I'm sure some people like them.

It'll be interesting to see the changes at DCA mid rehab and there are quite a few things that have changed since we were last there in Oct 2005 anyway. Also at DL, the submarines are now open which I remember from when I was a child so looking forward to seeing that too.

Hi Alta - nice to meet you and look forward to meeting your Mom. I don't think I'll get mine to join but I'll keeping her updated on whats happening.

Where do you own for DVC? We own at SSR.

I've never ridden Grizzly River Rapids, the thought of being soaking wet and touring just doesn't appeal and when we were staying at DGC, it wasn't warm enough to ride and get wet so maybe in July it might be just hot enough for me to be brave. Though, I think I might wear something a little less transparent when wet than my Disboards t-shirt for that one, else some may end up with a show they didn't want to see :rotfl2:

I can be quite quiet when I first meet people, though I'm a real chatterbox once I get started. I'm a very social person but takes me a little while to warm up and feel comfortable.

I totally agree with all of this! I loved DCA as it was and I'm so happy that its different to the Florida parks and they didn't just cookie cutter it. The only section I'm not so in love with is the carnival type rides/attractions but I'm sure some people like them.
We own at the Animal Kingdom Lodge I love the savannah view we have there sometimes I’ll sit on the balcony area and just watch the animals for a little bit.

We have stayed at SSR before they have some nice rooms but I didn’t like the food options there.

BTW I love GGR I think it is so much better that kali river rapids much longer and you get 2 drop instead of 1. My family once went on it 5 times in a row (which was only possible because we were in the handicap accessible one and no one was waiting to get on at the so we said can we go again).

Got my paperwork today. :thumbsup2 One step closer. I've been using the e-Ticket DL app to make my list of must do's already. I'm excited to compare attractions between WDW and DL, plus experience the ones WDW does not have. Seems to me DL will be like experiencing for the first time a place you already know.

By the way, we're DVC owners and D23 members too. I've had a lot of Disney Kool-aid over the past couple of years. We own at two resorts, BWV and BLT. Stayed at BLT this past June and really liked it.

Got my paperwork today. :thumbsup2 One step closer. I've been using the e-Ticket DL app to make my list of must do's already. I'm excited to compare attractions between WDW and DL, plus experience the ones WDW does not have. Seems to me DL will be like experiencing for the first time a place you already know.

By the way, we're DVC owners and D23 members too. I've had a lot of Disney Kool-aid over the past couple of years. We own at two resorts, BWV and BLT. Stayed at BLT this past June and really liked it.

We got our paperwork yesterday! DL is similar in a lot of places to WDW and yet it isn't. Even for the attractions that are on both sides of the country, there are lots of differences, and lands and attractions aren't exactly where you expect them to be. It's all really good. :thumbsup2

Wow, our two DVC home resorts are BWV and BLT too! We haven't been able to stay at BLT yet, but hope to manage it sometime soon. We haven't been planning far enough ahead this past year to really get a shot at it yet. And we're D23 members too - we were planning to do the D23 event next year, but we'll be doing the ABD trip instead. :cool1:

We got our paperwork yesterday! DL is similar in a lot of places to WDW and yet it isn't. Even for the attractions that are on both sides of the country, there are lots of differences, and lands and attractions aren't exactly where you expect them to be. It's all really good. :thumbsup2

Wow, our two DVC home resorts are BWV and BLT too! We haven't been able to stay at BLT yet, but hope to manage it sometime soon. We haven't been planning far enough ahead this past year to really get a shot at it yet. And we're D23 members too - we were planning to do the D23 event next year, but we'll be doing the ABD trip instead. :cool1:

If we all get new nikes when we arrive.. Im drinking the kool aid too. Im D23 as well. Not DVC yet. Still working on DH for that.

If we all get new nikes when we arrive.. Im drinking the kool aid too. Im D23 as well. Not DVC yet. Still working on DH for that.

Actually it won't be new Nikes, but we'll have to get the same Bibbidty Bobbity Boutique package. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter